Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jlawson118
    • By Jlawson118 3rd Dec 17, 7:31 PM
    • 841Posts
    • 113Thanks
    Jlawson118
    Transferring my grandad's private number plate to myself?
    • 3rd Dec 17, 7:31 PM
    Transferring my grandad's private number plate to myself? 3rd Dec 17 at 7:31 PM
    Bit of a tricky situation here. My grandad spent years looking for a private number plate he liked and chose one a few years ago, basically my grandma's maiden initials and then his initials it works out as. He said to me even years ago he'd pass it down to me when he passed away.

He was diagnosed with cancer early July and given five years to live. Thinking five years was a long time, for my birthday at the end of July, my mum and step dad decided to buy me my own private number plate. Shortly after I put my new one on, my grandad was given less than one year to live and even said "It's a shame you got your private plate because you'll be getting mine soon."

I told him to stop talking like that, thinking he'd make longer, but then a few months later at the beginning of November, he passed away. My step dad paid to put the plate onto retention but the paperwork came back in my grandad's name and address. I've been waiting for some money to come through that I'm using to buy myself a new car as I need something more practical, my grandad gave me some money towards it before he passed, and my grandma is giving me quite a significant amount too, so I want to put his plate on my car as it's there in his memory then, and him and my grandma's initials seen as they've helped me out in getting a new car. It's got more of a meaning than my current one does.

I've just looked at the section I need to fill out about transferring it to a 'nominee' and it requires the owners signature to do so. And obviously I can't forge his signature and so I don't know what to do. His number plate also wasn't something in his will either. Before he passed away he was a little sceptical about me having it as he didn't want us to pay a lot of money to put it on retention, so he never looked into transferring it. But we paid the money because his memory means more.

What do I do in this situation without forging his signature?
Page 1
    • Threewheeler
    • By Threewheeler 3rd Dec 17, 7:38 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    Threewheeler
    • 3rd Dec 17, 7:38 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 7:38 PM
    Contact DVLA with details, I believe that they will accept Executors signature with evidence of demise and allow transfer.
    Threewheeler
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 3rd Dec 17, 8:15 PM
    • 4,614 Posts
    • 4,040 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    • 3rd Dec 17, 8:15 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 8:15 PM
    If you've got the retention certificate, just do it online, then there's no signatures involved.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 3rd Dec 17, 10:07 PM
    • 11,597 Posts
    • 8,734 Thanks
    unholyangel
    • 3rd Dec 17, 10:07 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 10:07 PM
    https://www.gov.uk/personalised-vehicle-registration-numbers/person-with-right-to-use-private-number-dies

If the number hasnít been assigned to a vehicle
    Send the documents that prove youíve got the right to use the number and either the:

V778 retention form
    V750 certificate of entitlement form
    The executor must sign the V778 or V750 before you send it.

You must also send a covering letter from the executor saying if you want to:

keep the number
    give the number to someone else
    I believe that might be the answer you're looking for.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,365Posts Today

7,959Users online

Martin's Twitter