British Gas Seeking Refund

Options
Hi everyone,

We had a letter from British Gas yesterday saying that when they refunded us last December they made the payment twice and are demanding one of the payments back.

We never noticed with all the money going in and out over Xmas but they paid a sum in twice.

Are we obliged to repay a whole year later? Timing is terrible with a newborn and just a few weeks before Xmas.

Advice appreciated!

Comments

• AndyCF
    AndyCF Posts: 748 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes, see here > http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5752929

Having said that there is absolutely nothing to lose to ask for some kind of goodwill discount on the amount to repay if it is their admin error, worst is they will say "no, it has to be the full amount"

I would also suggest if you think its unfair to pay a chunk back at once to tell them this and that you would struggle to do it, some kind of repayment plan or something may well be in order as its better for both parties too.

I'd recommend asking about this anyway although what they say might depend on the amount of money 'due' I guess.

I don't know how it works exactly but if say it was for example £200 due then requesting you pay this at £50/month for 4 months does not seem unreasonable to me, but that is me not "them"

Others will be able to chime in with more experience on this kind of issue though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure