Bank said I cancelled PPI that I never knew I had?

Options
Hello there. I was just wondering if anyone had experienced anything similar.
I complained about PPI to MBNA and RBS. they both upheld my complaint. However, MBNA only paid out for 3 years PPI when I had the card for 15 years. They said that I had contacted them in 2001 to cancel it. I can’t understand that as I was never aware I had it in the first place. RBS paid out on 5 years of PPI although I had the card for 6 years. They also said I cancelled the PPI, but once again I never knew I had it so can’t think how I could have cancelled it. Has anyone experience something similar? What do I do next? I spoke to the companies and they said their records show they were cancelled and that was that. Would a claims company be able to help me?

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What do I do next?

Unless you have evidence to the contrary, you accept their response.
    Would a claims company be able to help me?

No. All a CMC does is put your initial complaint in an envelope and send it to the same address you did and its handled by the same staff. They have no special powers.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    All i can say is you must have forgetten becauese you will have had to sign to say you have read and understaood all the terms and conditions on the agreement.
    Also, the Ppi amount would have been stated separately on every statement monthly that you received.

Claims company would only tell them what you have already told them and they would say the same thing to the claims man that they have already told you

End of the road unless someonee else has any suggestions

If they have records to show you cancelled it seems
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Annabelle_D
    Options
    When I asked the companies they were unable to tell me how it had been cancelled. The guy said ‘you probably phoned in..’. It doesn’t add up that I only cancelled PPI on one of my cards and not the other and they have no proof to show me that this happened. I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced this.

Thank you for your replies.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    When I asked the companies they were unable to tell me how it had been cancelled.

Not information you would expect them to retain after all this time. The regulator recommends 6 years. After which, data can start being removed.
    It doesn’t add up that I only cancelled PPI on one of my cards and not the other and they have no proof to show me that this happened. I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced this.

It doesn't matter what other people experience because it is what the available evidence in your case that matters.

If the provider says it was cancelled on a given date and there is no evidence to show otherwise, then that has to be accepted. It is a logical thing to accept as well because they clearly have your PPI payment history and it shows no payments made after those dates.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure