Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • capital0ne
    • By capital0ne 2nd Dec 17, 4:36 PM
    • 148Posts
    • 80Thanks
    capital0ne
    How to get 12%+ annual return
    • 2nd Dec 17, 4:36 PM
    How to get 12%+ annual return 2nd Dec 17 at 4:36 PM
    Here's another dismal Saturday afternoon thought for all you fantastic financial wizards out there.

Create a fantasy portfolio that can return 12%+ annually - the simpler the better, and preferably
    with a low risk - low volatility strategy.
Page 2
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 3rd Dec 17, 5:04 PM
    • 12,242 Posts
    • 10,778 Thanks
    jimjames
    Far from dismal now, almost exstatic! In fact you can achieve 12%+ return very easily. RIT Capital Partners is but one example, this from their website
    Originally posted by capital0ne
    Another one (at least if you round it) is PIP. 11.7% since 1987 but definitely doesn't have the "low volatility" requirement either

http://www.piplc.com/our-business/our-performance/overview
    Last edited by jimjames; 03-12-2017 at 5:08 PM.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
    • ChesterDog
    • By ChesterDog 3rd Dec 17, 8:14 PM
    • 808 Posts
    • 1,475 Thanks
    ChesterDog
    ...and more importantly have fun.
    I do all sorts of things for fun, and some of them do make money.

But my investments have nothing to do with fun, and everything to do with making money.

The best investments (note, 'best', not most profitable at any given moment) actually tend to be pretty dull, and boringly predictable.
    I am one of the "Dogs of the Index".
    • Heedtheadvice
    • By Heedtheadvice 3rd Dec 17, 8:58 PM
    • 640 Posts
    • 319 Thanks
    Heedtheadvice
    Thank goodness there are some sensible posters!
    • Heedtheadvice
    • By Heedtheadvice 3rd Dec 17, 9:05 PM
    • 640 Posts
    • 319 Thanks
    Heedtheadvice
    Oh and I forgot you could just go back to several years ago when gilts paid that level, low volatility, low risk and safe (ish).

Or even some of those crazy third world countries where assets are worth a day's wage and tomorrow a weeks wage...

What do you mean, next poster, inflation was up even higher? That was not in the brief !!!! The OP did not mention real terms......
    • BananaRepublic
    • By BananaRepublic 3rd Dec 17, 9:45 PM
    • 936 Posts
    • 680 Thanks
    BananaRepublic
    I think you're all missing the point, some more than others.
    The point is that investing is all very easy, a myth is spread to make sure people are frightened off by people quoting loads of facts, figures statements like past performance doesn't indicate future performance and so on.
    Most of this is just noise - the markets are so in tune they all rise and fall together so you should just go with strategy to achieve your aims, house purchase, retirement, richest man on the street, boasting rights etc, it doesn't matter really
    So just pick a few investment vehicles to suit, the more you spread your dosh the richer the brokers get.
    So KISS is the method to adopt and ignore the noise - and more importantly have fun.

And don't forget, others have said: " ......investments can produce 12% long term with low risk and low volatility. Historically, such a product does not exist."

Happy days - not dismal now!
    Crass and simplistic nonsense. Just to give one counter example, it's all too easy to imvest a large sum, only to find that the markets crash, and it takes years before the value recovers. Or in a worst case, decades. Another counter example worth remembering is Long Tern Capital Management which nearly brought down the financial system. It couldn't fail!

I am of the view that the basics are fairly straight forward, but no-one but a fool would take your blase approach.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,266Posts Today

7,372Users online

Martin's Twitter