How to get 12%+ annual return

Options

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    When you see 12% quoted in a post, you immediately think scam. That figure is one of the most commonly used in various scams.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • justme111
    justme111 Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have a friend who has an empty hoise in London. Renting it is too much stress for him - people mistreating the property , families that he initially rented to splitting , management companies irritating because of incompetency and desire to make a profit at all costs , all kinds of fraud etc.
    The word "dilemma" comes from Greek where "di" means two and "lemma" means premise. Refers usually to difficult choice between two undesirable options.
    Often people seem to use this word mistakenly where "quandary" would fit better.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,211 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    ChesterDog wrote: »
    Is there a reason for so many [STRIKE]of your[/STRIKE] posts [STRIKE]include the word disma[/STRIKE]l?

fixed that for you
  • Aegis
    Aegis Posts: 5,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    When you see 12% quoted in a post, you immediately think scam. That figure is one of the most commonly used in various scams.
    Probably because it's "only" 1% or so a month (a little less when you factor in compounding, but many people don't think like that), which doesn't sound like all that much until you drill down into how difficult it is to sustain that level of return.
    I am a Chartered Financial Planner
    Anything I say on the forum is for discussion purposes only and should not be construed as personal financial advice. It is vitally important to do your own research before acting on information gathered from any users on this forum.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    capital0ne wrote: »
    Create a fantasy portfolio that can return 12%+ annually - the simpler the better, and preferably
    with a low risk - low volatility strategy.

Why waste one's time fantasising. Better to spend it looking after existing portfolio well. Rather like gardening. You'll be rewarded in the longer term by the effort that you put in.
  • capital0ne
    Options
    I think you're all missing the point, some more than others.
    The point is that investing is all very easy, a myth is spread to make sure people are frightened off by people quoting loads of facts, figures statements like past performance doesn't indicate future performance and so on.
    Most of this is just noise - the markets are so in tune they all rise and fall together so you should just go with strategy to achieve your aims, house purchase, retirement, richest man on the street, boasting rights etc, it doesn't matter really
    So just pick a few investment vehicles to suit, the more you spread your dosh the richer the brokers get.
    So KISS is the method to adopt and ignore the noise - and more importantly have fun.

And don't forget, others have said: " ......investments can produce 12% long term with low risk and low volatility. Historically, such a product does not exist."

Happy days - not dismal now!
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You are not very likely to notice the crucial point that you are missing, summarised below by a respected and regular poster.
    bowlhead99 wrote: »

So, your claim that "in fact you can achieve 12% very easily" is hokum.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Not all all. Investing is no different to studying the Sporting Life. Losing money is effortless.
  • Flobberchops
    Flobberchops Posts: 1,279 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    There are plenty of P2P platforms offering 12%+ but those aren't what most people would describe as low-risk.

A rental property would probably fit the bill when you factor in rising house prices in addition to rental income.
    : )
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,622 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 3 December 2017 at 6:08PM
    Options
    Far from dismal now, almost exstatic! In fact you can achieve 12%+ return very easily. RIT Capital Partners is but one example, this from their website

Another one (at least if you round it) is PIP. 11.7% since 1987 but definitely doesn't have the "low volatility" requirement either

http://www.piplc.com/our-business/our-performance/overview
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure