Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • trentsc
    • By trentsc 1st Dec 17, 4:57 PM
    • 17Posts
    • 9Thanks
    trentsc
    Selling my Dad's disabled accessible car
    • 1st Dec 17, 4:57 PM
    Selling my Dad's disabled accessible car 1st Dec 17 at 4:57 PM
    Hi,

I'm selling my late father's car, which was adapted for hands-only driving(a knob on the steering wheel and an accelerator/brake lever).

Any suggestions on where I might look to sell it with the adaptations in place? While the adaptations can be taken off in about an hour, my thinking is that it would be useful for someone in a similar position to my father...

Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • clarabelle123
    • By clarabelle123 5th Dec 17, 1:37 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    clarabelle123
    • 5th Dec 17, 1:37 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 1:37 AM
    Hi, Ive seen accessible vehicles on gumtree, but not very often. Im sure theres a sales site somewhere Il go and look for you. What make model is the car?
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 7th Dec 17, 1:42 AM
    • 37,873 Posts
    • 34,275 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 7th Dec 17, 1:42 AM
    • 7th Dec 17, 1:42 AM
    How did your Dad get the car adapted? I did a little bit of research into this a few years ago, and there was a local organisation which would assess your needs and advise on suitable adaptations, possibly even supply and fit too.

The thing is that these things may be quite individual, so what worked for your dad may not work so well for someone else, even if on paper they have the same kind of needs. Also selling with the adaptations in place may cause an issue with insurance for the buyer if they can't 'prove' that the adaptations were properly fitted and remain safe.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 2 shawls, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 1 seaman's hat ...
    Current projects: 1 shawl, another seaman's hat
    • skcollobcat10
    • By skcollobcat10 7th Dec 17, 8:10 PM
    • 240 Posts
    • 2,193 Thanks
    skcollobcat10
    • 7th Dec 17, 8:10 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 8:10 PM
    I have never had a problem with insurance companies and adaptations.

If anybody is buying a used adapted vehicle the parts which are adapted can be thoroughly checked out by the companies that make the adaptations by telephoning the company and getting a recognised adapted certified engineer to check the parts. For extra safety, get a service on those parts every year.

Most disabled have an idea what kind of adaptions they need. I used to be with motability but now pay cash for my vehicles which gives me quite a saving.

For example, people who have worked before becoming disabled and therefore many are not on means tested benefits loose out on getting a grant from motability. I needed a VW caravelle motability full price £53000 21/2 years ago, no means tested benefits deposit was £22000 PLUS 5 years dla money, then use for 5 years and give it back. This, compared to somebody on means tested benefits who only has to pay £250 deposit!

I sold a flat bought my vehicle cash for £36000, a lot cheaper, and I own it. I would never go back to motability because I don't feel they give good value for money, especially if you are permanently in a wheelchair.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,997Posts Today

6,030Users online

Martin's Twitter