Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hilljd00
    • By hilljd00 30th Nov 17, 5:10 PM
    • 27Posts
    • 5Thanks
    hilljd00
    Underfloor Heating: Best Practices?
    • 30th Nov 17, 5:10 PM
    Underfloor Heating: Best Practices? 30th Nov 17 at 5:10 PM
    Hello

I have had underfloor heating since 2009. But no one seems convinced of the best method on how to heat a home using this system.

What do you do and why?
    - I'd be interested to know what temperature/hours you have set.

Thank you.
    Last edited by hilljd00; 30-11-2017 at 5:45 PM.
Page 1
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 1st Dec 17, 8:10 PM
    • 3,174 Posts
    • 1,894 Thanks
    matelodave
    • 1st Dec 17, 8:10 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 8:10 PM
    What sort of underfloor heating. Hot water or electric.

Is it embedded in concrete. If it's electric are you on an E7/E10 or complex metering tariff.

If it's hot water, what feeds it, gas boiler, oil boiler. what's your flow temperature?

How is it controlled - timer, programmer, thermostat etc. If hot water do you have manifolds to distribute the water to differnt areas?

I've got an overlay hot water u/f system fed by an air source heat pump which runs virtually continuously at this time of the year. The flow temperature varies between 30- 40 degrees, depending on the outside temperature and the house is split into separate zones, each controlled by a programmable thermostat which varies the required temperature at different times of the day.

We do not shut the heating off but turn it down by 2-3 degrees overnight or in rooms that aren't in use during the day (bedrooms & bathroom) otherwise the place can get too cold and it takes a long time to reheat.

As it's an overlay system, it's a bit more responsive than a system where the pipes are actually embedded in the floor screed but still quite slow to react.
    Last edited by matelodave; 01-12-2017 at 10:16 PM.
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 1st Dec 17, 8:59 PM
    • 27,109 Posts
    • 13,222 Thanks
    Cardew
    • 1st Dec 17, 8:59 PM
    • 1st Dec 17, 8:59 PM
    Compared to conventional central heating, UFH is generally used at low heat for a long period; which is why it is so suited for use with a heat pump.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,588Posts Today

8,648Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @mmhpi: REPORT PUBLISHED: We reveal how #regulators of essential services can level the playing field & better support consumers with #m?

• RT @mmhpi: "I have massive #anxiety about talking to strangers on the phone" - Regulators must improve the accessibility of essential serv?

• RT @itvMLshow: I know you may be sad that we have no more shows this year BUT you wont have to wait too long for our next LIVE SPECIAL whic?

• Follow Martin