Microsoft Money investment transactions

Hi, I have been using MS Money for many years but have now hit a problem entering investment transactions. If I enter one, Money stops working. If I delete an existing transaction, I can enter one new one, but if I enter another one, Money stops working. I can enter other (e.g. bank) transactions without problems. It is as if there is a limit to the number of investment transactions but I don't think there is supposed to be such a limit. I am using the 2004 release. Any help very welcome.

Comments

• Terry98
    Terry98 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    It might be worth asking your question on the Savings and Investments Forum as they answer quite a few questions about MS Money problems.

FWIW providing you have a good back up of your current data updating to the free 2005 UK version might be one option as discussed here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5751623
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,160 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    What is the error message?

Money database corruptions do happen, fortunately very rarely. There is no known practical limit to the number of investment transactions - my data goes make 18 years with thousands of transactions.

Upgrading Money is probably worth doing anyway.

Some things to try - First make a backup copy of your .mny file in case something happens to the original one.
    1) Try the repair options under "File".
    2) Open money with another file (or no file) and then open the faulty one from inside money - this has fixed one problem for me.
    3) Have you made any other changes recently - eg new accounts? If so delete them.
    4) Have you tried a range of different types of transactions - can you narrow down the fault?

Once you have got it working take a back-up and continue taking backups every week/month/whenever re-entering the data would be too much effort.
  • Argyt
    Argyt Posts: 5 Forumite
    Thanks for the replies.

It turns out that I am using the 2005 version - I had looked at the CD and it said "(C) 2004" but the program properties say Money 2005.

Terry - I will post a (corrected) question as you suggested.

Linton -
    Most times Money just closes itself. Sometimes it shows a message (from Windows?) saying Microsoft Money has stopped working (I am using Windows 7 Professional). On the "problem signature", "problem event name" is shown as APPCRASH.
    1) I can't use Money to repair the faulty file because it won't open with that file. I tried repairing a previous good file (in case the fault was buried in there somewhere) but it produced no error report, so I assume it didn't find anything. When I tried to post the transaction in the resulting file, it fell over again.
    2) Tried this, crashed again.
    3) I made no changes before the problem started - I had recorded one share purchase which was fine, and another immediately afterwards and then it crashed.
    4) The problem seems to be limited to investment buys and sells. I can record dividends (always good) and I can add and remove shares. I suppose I could use this as a work-around, with a corresponding entry in the cash account, but this would be a bit messy and probably distort the reports.

Any further thoughts welcome ...
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,160 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Argyt wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.

It turns out that I am using the 2005 version - I had looked at the CD and it said "(C) 2004" but the program properties say Money 2005.

Terry - I will post a (corrected) question as you suggested.

Linton -
    Most times Money just closes itself. Sometimes it shows a message (from Windows?) saying Microsoft Money has stopped working (I am using Windows 7 Professional). On the "problem signature", "problem event name" is shown as APPCRASH.
    1) I can't use Money to repair the faulty file because it won't open with that file. I tried repairing a previous good file (in case the fault was buried in there somewhere) but it produced no error report, so I assume it didn't find anything. When I tried to post the transaction in the resulting file, it fell over again.
    2) Tried this, crashed again.
    3) I made no changes before the problem started - I had recorded one share purchase which was fine, and another immediately afterwards and then it crashed.
    4) The problem seems to be limited to investment buys and sells. I can record dividends (always good) and I can add and remove shares. I suppose I could use this as a work-around, with a corresponding entry in the cash account, but this would be a bit messy and probably distort the reports.

Any further thoughts welcome ...

The online version of money includes bug fixes to the original money 2004 cd. I suggest you upgrade to that. This will also deal with any corruption that may have happened to your installation.
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I've used the Microsoft replacement (Money Plus Sunset Deluxe) for some years now and it has worked fine.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-GB/download/details.aspx?id=20738

The only problem is that it is a US version but it works fine for me but I don't enter Investment transactions on mine.

Alternatively, this thread from Microsoft forums may help you

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/479281b2-90f9-42ca-85f7-644fc6e1e5c3/download-microsoft-money-installation-files-solve-activation-and-some-other-errors?forum=money
  • Argyt
    Argyt Posts: 5 Forumite
    I ran CHKDSK which appears to have fixed the problem. Thanks for your replies everyone.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure