Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Greenlady
    • By Greenlady 28th Nov 17, 10:39 PM
    • 26Posts
    • 9Thanks
    Greenlady
    Newbie - too many phone calls already
    • 28th Nov 17, 10:39 PM
    Newbie - too many phone calls already 28th Nov 17 at 10:39 PM
    I've only just started and my phone has lots of missed calls - I suppose they're not all PRIZES!
    I can't use my phone at work.

Do you guys use a spare sim for this? Any pay as you go that you recommend if yes?

I worry that I miss the call for a prize.
Page 1
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 28th Nov 17, 11:31 PM
    • 35,474 Posts
    • 232,586 Thanks
    mjm3346
    • 28th Nov 17, 11:31 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 11:31 PM
    I've only just started and my phone has lots of missed calls - I suppose they're not all PRIZES!

Do you guys use a spare sim for this? Any pay as you go that you recommend if yes?

Originally posted by Greenlady
    Some people get a cheap PAYG phone/sim.

I have averaged about one phone call a year for 91 months and in the same time had over 640 wins so I don't find calls excessive but I do take care about what I enter.

Although a bit out of date this thread has details of how some companies contact winners

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=526089
    • elsien
    • By elsien 28th Nov 17, 11:33 PM
    • 15,420 Posts
    • 38,717 Thanks
    elsien
    • 28th Nov 17, 11:33 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 11:33 PM

Originally posted by Greenlady
    I've never had any phone calls. Are you double checking you're ticking/unticking the contact boxes, and only putting in the phone number where it's mandatory?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • hamsterfan1
    • By hamsterfan1 29th Nov 17, 8:26 AM
    • 7,801 Posts
    • 72,168 Thanks
    hamsterfan1
    • 29th Nov 17, 8:26 AM
    • 29th Nov 17, 8:26 AM
    I've only had a few calls in 7 years of comping. Do you only enter comps on here? You will not win any more by allowing 3rd parties. to have your details
    prood gran to 4 lovely boys
    • topaz13
    • By topaz13 29th Nov 17, 8:41 AM
    • 79 Posts
    • 227 Thanks
    topaz13
    • 29th Nov 17, 8:41 AM
    • 29th Nov 17, 8:41 AM
    Make sure that you are opting out of phone communications wherever possible, as mentioned above.
    Register you number with the telephone preference service - it means that if anyone then cold calls you, they are breaking the law. Unfortunately it only works for UK calls, not those annoying foreign call centre ones. You will still get winning calls, as these are not classed as cold calls.
    I get maybe one cold call every few months, tell them I'm registered with TPS and they are breaking the law and they soon hang up.
    • sleepyjones
    • By sleepyjones 29th Nov 17, 11:10 AM
    • 3,706 Posts
    • 291,578 Thanks
    sleepyjones
    • 29th Nov 17, 11:10 AM
    • 29th Nov 17, 11:10 AM
    as above, I think I've had a couple of phonecalls over the time I've been comping, one was for The Times trying to get me to subscribe and the other was from a window / blinds company ... probably Everest but I'm also thinking it might be something to do with blinds.
    • Greenlady
    • By Greenlady 29th Nov 17, 1:26 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Greenlady
    • 29th Nov 17, 1:26 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 1:26 PM
    I'm starting to think I won something yesterday and I didn't tke the call (I can't use the phone at work). But I got spam texts as well, so I need to be more careful with my details and the competitions I enter.
    • Hollbeach
    • By Hollbeach 29th Nov 17, 2:05 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 504 Thanks
    Hollbeach
    • 29th Nov 17, 2:05 PM
    TExts
    • 29th Nov 17, 2:05 PM
    Before I found this notice board I had entered a few random competitions here and there... I forgot to untick boxes and ended up getting charged rpremium rate for spam text messages! I donít think think some of the websites I used were necessarily official but very frustrating!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,103Posts Today

7,909Users online

Martin's Twitter