Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • elsien
    • By elsien 26th Nov 17, 1:13 PM
    • 15,434Posts
    • 38,757Thanks
    elsien
    Gitdog wants a coat.
    • 26th Nov 17, 1:13 PM
    Gitdog wants a coat. 26th Nov 17 at 1:13 PM
    Never bothered with dog coats before - had a waxed one for my last but she refused to walk with it on so the coat was rehomed.
    However Gitdog is a sensitive little soul (when it comes to cold, if not for anything else) and is currently doing his best hypothermic pooch impression. And that's before we set foot out of doors....

I don't want to spend lots in case he hates it, but am wondering whether to just get an equafleece type thing or something a little more weather resistant.
    He will model the final choice for your delectation in due course.
    Any suggestions?

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 06-12-2017 at 9:32 AM.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
Page 1
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 26th Nov 17, 4:39 PM
    • 3,903 Posts
    • 38,002 Thanks
    Katiehound
    • 26th Nov 17, 4:39 PM
    • 26th Nov 17, 4:39 PM
    Is this for wet weather or for warmth, or even for both?

My hounds feel the cold as they only have one thickness of fur with no undercoat. When it is cold in the morning with heavy frost (or night come to that...brrrr....) they wear kennel coats.
    I bought the very first and since then have sewn them out of a mix of fleece / blanket / undersheet fleece using the first purchase as a pattern. I sew a fixed neck without velcro opening and then they are tied on with acrylic tapes from centre back, under tum and tie on the top of the back.
    Similar to this:
    http://www.dogcoats.net/catalog/index.php?cPath=22_31

For cold wet weather I have Danish design coats as here:
    http://www.muddypaws.co.uk/dog-coats-clothing/dog-coats/2-in-1-waterproof-coat

just been given some lurcher coats which are a bit long -so we have coats coming out our ears! These are waterproof outers with fleece lining.
    I had just made my girl a coat- photo :
    post 83
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5260550&page=5
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!

If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Thank You
    • elsien
    • By elsien 26th Nov 17, 6:26 PM
    • 15,434 Posts
    • 38,757 Thanks
    elsien
    • 26th Nov 17, 6:26 PM
    • 26th Nov 17, 6:26 PM
    Thanks - it was more for the cold but if he's going out in snow a bit of waterproofing wouldn't hurt. Do you think that Danish one would be ok under a fairly sturdy harness without moving around too much?
    If I tried to sew something he'd probably still be waiting the year after next.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

• minimad1970
    • By minimad1970 26th Nov 17, 7:54 PM
    • 4,229 Posts
    • 8,885 Thanks
    minimad1970
    • 26th Nov 17, 7:54 PM
    • 26th Nov 17, 7:54 PM
    I can't wait to see Gitdog in his coat. I put one on my dog once, he stood frozen to the spot for ages and then started to walk really slowly backwards as if he was trying to reverse out of it. I hope you have better luck
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 26th Nov 17, 10:01 PM
    • 3,903 Posts
    • 38,002 Thanks
    Katiehound
    • 26th Nov 17, 10:01 PM
    • 26th Nov 17, 10:01 PM
    Thanks - it was more for the cold but if he's going out in snow a bit of waterproofing wouldn't hurt. Do you think that Danish one would be ok under a fairly sturdy harness without moving around too much?
    Originally posted by elsien
    The Danish one has a removable inner which clearly isn't meant to be used alone! However with the addition of tapes mid back and at neck you could use on it's own.

The weatherproof part is unusual as it has a chest piece which then passes under tum and fastens on mid back so it is fairly secure. I honestly don't know if it would work with a harness. Possibly your best bet would be to find a local supplier and then try one out
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!

If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Thank You
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 27th Nov 17, 1:45 AM
    • 11,600 Posts
    • 8,736 Thanks
    unholyangel
    • 27th Nov 17, 1:45 AM
    • 27th Nov 17, 1:45 AM
    I have the danish design one mentioned by katiehound for my staff as she loves her warmth. And in neon yellow since she's dark brindle and cant see her when its dark

It has a removable fleece lining - although its the waterproof part thats designed to be used on its own rather than the fleece. So just waterproof part during warmer weather and add the fleece lining when its colder.

Where is the harnesses clip? If its near the base of the neck you should be fine. If its further down their back, might be wise to run a short lead extension from the harness clip up through the jacket then attach the lead (also means you don't need to mess around trying to find & clip it through the hole).

I can't wait to see Gitdog in his coat. I put one on my dog once, he stood frozen to the spot for ages and then started to walk really slowly backwards as if he was trying to reverse out of it. I hope you have better luck
    Originally posted by minimad1970
    Mines will usually go to the front door then stops and backs away as if to say "no, all the other dogs will laugh at me". She's better in the danish design coat though. Still kind of walks around like a wee sausage roll but her love of warmth wins out.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 27th Nov 17, 8:35 AM
    • 15,434 Posts
    • 38,757 Thanks
    elsien
    • 27th Nov 17, 8:35 AM
    • 27th Nov 17, 8:35 AM
    This shows the type of harness. And what it needs to stand up to. I'm also aware that I don't want the harness buckle to be anywhere near the coat fastenings - might be too uncomfortable.

• unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 27th Nov 17, 4:48 PM
    • 11,600 Posts
    • 8,736 Thanks
    unholyangel
    • 27th Nov 17, 4:48 PM
    • 27th Nov 17, 4:48 PM
    This shows the type of harness. And what it needs to stand up to. I'm also aware that I don't want the harness buckle to be anywhere near the coat fastenings - might be too uncomfortable.

The opening for the lead to attach would be where the top part of the harness is.

The strap.....it doesnt sit far behind their front legs/shoulders so that might be an issue!
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • GBNI
    • By GBNI 27th Nov 17, 5:54 PM
    • 504 Posts
    • 723 Thanks
    GBNI
    • 27th Nov 17, 5:54 PM
    • 27th Nov 17, 5:54 PM
    My schnauzer had a Masta dog coat. It was fleece lined and waterproof. They normally manufacture horse rugs so they're good tough coats! They are various different styles available so definitely worth a look.
    • UKTigerlily
    • By UKTigerlily 27th Nov 17, 6:50 PM
    • 4,338 Posts
    • 5,421 Thanks
    UKTigerlily
    Equafleece would be ideal, it'd go under the harness (assuming the harness can go bigger) & is super warm . . apparently if Gitdog were to jump in a pond, he'd remain dry under it tho I didn't try throwing my Chaya in a pond lol

He'd also look stunning in green, blue or better still, red!
    • elsien
    • By elsien 27th Nov 17, 7:43 PM
    • 15,434 Posts
    • 38,757 Thanks
    elsien
    Which equafleece did you have? I'm looking at the tankie at the moment because I don't want the suits with longer legs (they just look silly) and the coat and jumper look to have fastenings in the wrong place.

• sheramber
    • By sheramber 27th Nov 17, 10:33 PM
    • 3,998 Posts
    • 2,969 Thanks
    sheramber
    You can get coats with a hole for using a harness.

Not a recommendation but here is one. They will insert a harness hole is requeted

https://www.barkingmadclothing.co.uk/waterproof-dog-coats-1

A Google search will bring up more sites.
    • johannalf88
    • By johannalf88 28th Nov 17, 1:34 PM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 1,504 Thanks
    johannalf88
    If you don't mind spending a lot of money, Ruffwear do fantastic coats. Honestly I think Niles' coat is better quality than my own raincoat! They are also designed to be worn with harnesses, only the harness goes underneath.

http://www.ruffwear.co.uk/new-products/overcoat

You can find them cheaper elsewhere usually.
    • UKTigerlily
    • By UKTigerlily 28th Nov 17, 4:21 PM
    • 4,338 Posts
    • 5,421 Thanks
    UKTigerlily
    Which equafleece did you have? I'm looking at the tankie at the moment because I don't want the suits with longer legs (they just look silly) and the coat and jumper look to have fastenings in the wrong place.

Chaya had the tankie and so does my friends Staffy & Staffy x, we're both thrilled with them x
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 28th Nov 17, 7:43 PM
    • 23,366 Posts
    • 90,821 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    We are talking about Gitdog here.

Having been inflicted with the joyful surrogate parent of a Staffie cross back at the turn of the century, he couldn't handle the cold at all - he had a standard fleece, but still got cold from his armpits letting in the draughts; just think how much warmer a T-shirt is compared to a vest. It got to the point where he would willingly wear a child's T-shirt underneath his fleece and harness. Mind you, he would also have happily accepted a set of wellies, hat, scarf and some woolly socks, muppet that he was.

In any case, I'd go for a fleece for everyday wear, whether with little sleeves or not, and then have something a little more for when it's raining heavily. Fleeces dry off very quickly anyway and some are water resistant - and if it's just drizzling, Gitdog could overheat in the canine equivalent of a macintosh/a roasting bag.

Is Gitdog getting a Christmas Jumper?
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • elsien
    • By elsien 28th Nov 17, 11:27 PM
    • 15,434 Posts
    • 38,757 Thanks
    elsien
    He has last year's which was all that was left, so if I'm more organised this year I'm thinking a more festive red in the right size. And potentially a little more appreciation from the recipient.

Last edited by elsien; 28-11-2017 at 11:29 PM.

• minimad1970
    • By minimad1970 28th Nov 17, 11:39 PM
    • 4,229 Posts
    • 8,885 Thanks
    minimad1970
    He's such a handsome boy. Perhaps someone could video you trying to get his coat on him for us to see
    • UKTigerlily
    • By UKTigerlily 29th Nov 17, 10:15 PM
    • 4,338 Posts
    • 5,421 Thanks
    UKTigerlily
    Chaya had one with legs too, they came to her elbows/knees lol she didn't mind at all
    • trixie73
    • By trixie73 29th Nov 17, 11:44 PM
    • 871 Posts
    • 683 Thanks
    trixie73
    My schnauzer had a Masta dog coat. It was fleece lined and waterproof. They normally manufacture horse rugs so they're good tough coats! They are various different styles available so definitely worth a look.
    Originally posted by GBNI
    Glad you can get your Schnauzer to wear a coat. My Schnauzer freezes to the spot when I put a coat on him
    • ElusiveLucy
    • By ElusiveLucy 30th Nov 17, 4:38 PM
    • 611 Posts
    • 3,325 Thanks
    ElusiveLucy
    I saw dog Christmas jumpers in M&S yesterday
    What goes around comes around.....I hope!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

156Posts Today

1,950Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin