Double Glazing - too good to be true?

Raxiel
Raxiel Posts: 1,398 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
edited 13 November 2017 at 5:22PM in Is this quote fair?
Earlier in the year, I had a company round to do my gutters, fascias and soffits.

They were a small company, and after paying the deposit (on c/c) I was a bit anxious over whether going with them was the right decision, but the fitters turned up on time and did a good job (I watched them work and we've had no problems since).

Recently the company contacted me again with an offer on new windows (I'd mentioned they were on 'the list' during the guttering quote as several are misting up).

Last week one of their salesmen came round for a quote.
We have 6 windows, 2 of which around 3m², 2 around 2m² and 2 around 1m².

For these 6 windows, split into about 13 panes, in A-rated white uPVC, he quoted £2600
This is in the East Midlands

I remarked it was less than I was expecting. He admitted he'd make little to no profit on the job, and counted on a full order book to make a living.

I assumed it was just down to the time of year (not many people want their windows ripping out and replacing in winter), but it's been suggested to me it might be too good of a price.

Any opinions? I don't want to miss out on a great deal, but I don't want to loose my deposit.
I'm planning on getting other quotes, but no one has come round yet.
3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux

Comments

• docmatt
    docmatt Posts: 915 Forumite
    If they are bog standard flat windows going into brick then it’s feasible. As long as you get a contract drawn up and you are happy with who you are dealing with then go for it!
  • no1catman
    no1catman Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I recently had a quote, windows would be A+ rated (why get less than A plus), contractor mentioned that the earliest would be in late January, and if anyone offers it before Christmas be very wary - probably using temp fitters, who be be up to much!

Sometimes if it's too good (a deal) to be true - it's one to avoid.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Check he is FENSA registered or one of the other bodies.
  • Raxiel
    Thanks for the comments,

The fitting would be late January, the company seem to act as middlemen for the window manufacturer (the gutters etc are their core business), and it's the manufacturer who provides the fitters, and FENSA cert.

I think I need to contact them directly.
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Raxiel wrote: »

it's the manufacturer who provides the fitters, and FENSA cert.

This is concerning. As a rule reputable local companies buy in the windows that the consumer has installed. The manufacturers simply manufacture. Be very careful here on quality and exactly who and what you are going to be getting. If it is only a small manufacturer then I would say avoid them unless they really tick all the boxes.

Or you could name the manufacturer and see if any Forum folks know anything about them.
  • greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Furts wrote: »
    This is concerning. As a rule reputable local companies buy in the windows that the consumer has installed. The manufacturers simply manufacture. Be very careful here on quality and exactly who and what you are going to be getting. If it is only a small manufacturer then I would say avoid them unless they really tick all the boxes.

Or you could name the manufacturer and see if any Forum folks know anything about them.

The manufactures are providing the frames the fitter and the cert . sound to me like the guttermen are not getting involved apart from recommending someone they know to someone that's looking for windows . cannot see an issue and price is good but not too good depending on fit and finish but approx. 350 a window plus vat isn't a bad price .
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
  • Raxiel
    edited 20 November 2017 at 2:25PM

The manufacturer is PTF Yorkshire. They have a web presence and companies house puts them at 5 years old. I gave them a call and they confirmed they work with the firm I was dealing with. They do sell direct as well, but that doesn't seem to be the bulk of their business.

Also, they are Certass not FENSA, if it matters. (Checked with Certass.co.uk, and they come up as vetted)
    greenface wrote: »
    The manufactures are providing the frames the fitter and the cert . sound to me like the guttermen are not getting involved apart from recommending someone they know to someone that's looking for windows.
    I think that might be the case, my reading (because they haven't explicitly said as much) is they focus on gutters, but contract the windows out so they can offer the 'whole package'.
  • Furts
    Perhaps 90% of consumers have no interest in quality and no interest in technicalities - they are only concerned about price. Since you know the manufacturer you need to decide where you stand here. You can visit them, or see samples of what they make. However these samples may have been beautified for public scrutiny - this happens in many walks of life.

I am not anywhere near PTF so would not use them purely on this basis. But if pressed further I would be exceptionally wary about placing an order with them. Here consider simple facts. When countless sources exist, with all the requisite accreditation, quality, guarantees and so on why use a small unknown? This is simply common sense and all about avoiding risk.
  • Raxiel
    Perhaps 90% of consumers have no interest in quality and no interest in technicalities - they are only concerned about price. Since you know the manufacturer you need to decide where you stand here. You can visit them, or see samples of what they make. However these samples may have been beautified for public scrutiny - this happens in many walks of life.

I am not anywhere near PTF so would not use them purely on this basis. But if pressed further I would be exceptionally wary about placing an order with them. Here consider simple facts. When countless sources exist, with all the requisite accreditation, quality, guarantees and so on why use a small unknown? This is simply common sense and all about avoiding risk.

Fair point. When I spoke to them they claimed they are regional suppliers for several of the national firms, mentioning Everest specifically. Only have their word for it, but I have heard that Everest don't manufacture their own.

The contract says I don't pay the balance until I'm satisfied. Will have to ask what happens if I'm not!

The company that put the existing windows in is still around, I should get them up for a quote too. Past performance is no proof of the present, but these ones have lasted at least 20 years.
  • Furts
    Bear in mind Everest have a terrible reputation. In turn, any company that proudly states they supply Everest has to treated with caution. Quite simply that is the sort of thing they keep under wraps - if it happens it is kept confidential.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure