Car insurance paid a claim without my knowledge

betty2017
betty2017 Posts: 1 Newbie
edited 12 October 2017 at 5:42PM in Insurance & life assurance
Hi
I need some advise. I was about to renew my car insurance and noticed I lost 7 years of no claims discount. I had an accident in Feburary 2016 and it was my fault. We exchanged details and as the damage to the other car was minimal the driver said it may be possible that the partner can repair the damage. and that the driver would get in touch with me regards repairs as I offered to pay for it or pass it on to the insurance company if it was more than I can afford to pay at that moment. I dorve into the back of her car but it was not even hard as my airbag did not inflate. I took picture of her car. I called the insurance to report the accident but did not return the claims form as the driver never got in touch with me nor mine or the drivers insurance. Today I found out the driver actualy made a claim for the repair but I was shocked about how much it was. Can I still dispute the claim as my insurance did not even tell me about the claim and paid out to the driver without any evidence of damage just the repair bill.
Sorry just checked my email and it was in my spam folder.But what is surprising all other emails are in my normal inbox

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I think the only advice to give is to make sure you check through your spam folder in future.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Your insurer looks to have got off lightly if they just had to pay the repair bill (no hire car/loss of earnings/whiplash etc)!!

Insurers are allowed to deal with claims as they think fit - so little scope to dispute it, especially as you look to be well and truly to blame

You can get your lost NCD back by reimbursing your insurer their layout - (though your OP says you intended to let them deal with a claim if it was more than you could afford).

Do some dummy quotes on line with this in your history as a fault claim and your new lower NCD and alternatively as a no fault claim and your full NCD to see if this will be a cost effective option (your premium will be affected for up to 5 years before this drops out of your history)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure