Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ChrisJJ
    • By ChrisJJ 12th Oct 17, 3:12 PM
    • 156Posts
    • 81Thanks
    ChrisJJ
    Strange question re unknown location on timeline.
    • 12th Oct 17, 3:12 PM
    Strange question re unknown location on timeline. 12th Oct 17 at 3:12 PM
    Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but will give it a go.

Computers and related issues bamboozle me, so I haven't a clue what's going on here and am hoping someone can reassure me I'm not being hacked by the DWP

Two days ago I noticed on my Google timeline two locations that I have never been to. They were specific addresses, one of which was a DWP office, 50 miles away in a town I've never been to. As I am currently in receipt of benefits due to ill health, and having had run ins with the DWP previously, my default mode of Utter Trepidation and Mild Hysteria was activated.

My panic arose, as, not understanding about computers and what is/isn't possible, my first thought was that they are tracking me. Paranoia? I think so

The thing is, I don't have the location tracker thing enabled on my phone, or computer, so even if I had been there, I presume it shouldn't show up?

This is driving me crazy. Especially since the two locations have now disappeared from my timeline There's absolutely nothing else on my timeline as, like I said, I don't have the location tracker enabled.

This is driving me mad.

Can anyone shed light on this??

Thank you.
Page 1
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 12th Oct 17, 4:01 PM
    • 485 Posts
    • 194 Thanks
    dunroving
    • 12th Oct 17, 4:01 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 4:01 PM
    GPS isn't the only way a device can be tracked to a location. If you use the wi-fi in Starbucks in Glasgow, for example, this also will generate location data. Mobile signals also generate location data via triangulation from the nearest masts.

Doesn't sound like either of these applies, as you weren't actually there, but maybe someone else was in that location, with your mobile phone (if it was left turned on in the car, for example)?

Every time we ignore those 30-page T&C's that every phone app seems to have, we ignore the fact we are often giving permission for location data to be used.
    • ChrisJJ
    • By ChrisJJ 12th Oct 17, 5:11 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    ChrisJJ
    • 12th Oct 17, 5:11 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 5:11 PM
    Dunroving - thanks for your reply. No, my phone is always with me, definitely nowhere near this place 50 miles away. Phone never leaves my side so absolutely perplexed at this!
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 12th Oct 17, 5:56 PM
    • 2,139 Posts
    • 1,083 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    • 12th Oct 17, 5:56 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 5:56 PM
    Well, I thought I was pretty tech knowledgeable but I had to look up Google timeline. in doing so I found this where you can adjust or delete if it is wrong. It did say at the top that it is personal and only you can see it, so stop worrying!
    • Slithery
    • By Slithery 12th Oct 17, 10:41 PM
    • 242 Posts
    • 307 Thanks
    Slithery
    • 12th Oct 17, 10:41 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 10:41 PM
    Have you ever logged on to your Google account using one of the DWP's computers?

If so then that may be the cause as they could possibly be routing all their traffic through a different location.
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 12th Oct 17, 11:38 PM
    • 2,500 Posts
    • 1,362 Thanks
    RumRat
    • 12th Oct 17, 11:38 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 11:38 PM
    It's just a coincidence fed by your paranoia. The DWP couldn't find their own backside let alone track you.
    What was the other address? Are you concerned that it could be a covert location for MI5 checking on why you didn't return that library book in 1989?
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • Spelunthus
    • By Spelunthus 13th Oct 17, 10:56 AM
    • 57 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    Spelunthus
    • 13th Oct 17, 10:56 AM
    • 13th Oct 17, 10:56 AM
    As was said, Google maps may use GPS and WiFi locations to draw the timeline. Sometimes, a WiFi location name may "resolve" to a different geographic location than its physical location- if the router has been moved, or if there are mistakes in its setup. No need to be paranoid, you can edit the location in your timeline to remove or change it. You can also stop using Google Maps timeline completely. See https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6258979?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en for details
    Last edited by Spelunthus; 13-10-2017 at 10:58 AM.
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 13th Oct 17, 11:24 AM
    • 7,369 Posts
    • 7,526 Thanks
    pappa golf
    • 13th Oct 17, 11:24 AM
    • 13th Oct 17, 11:24 AM
    DWP , drugged you and took you off for interrogation , expect a nasty letter in the post
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 13th Oct 17, 12:28 PM
    • 1,313 Posts
    • 905 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 13th Oct 17, 12:28 PM
    • 13th Oct 17, 12:28 PM
    You're being paranoid. Turn off Google Timeline in Google, it is not doing anything for your mental health.
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 13th Oct 17, 12:36 PM
    • 4,576 Posts
    • 27,565 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    My newspaper I read at work thinks I am in Wigan and has loads of laser treatment especially for people who live in Wigan!

Where is this Wigan?
    I soled my last sock
    For a whiff of your cheap perfume filled with hope of tears gone by
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 13th Oct 17, 1:03 PM
    • 2,758 Posts
    • 1,882 Thanks
    AndyPix
    My newspaper I read at work thinks I am in Wigan and has loads of laser treatment especially for people who live in Wigan!

Where is this Wigan?
    Originally posted by Blackbeard of Perranporth

You dont half post some strange stuff
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • bingo bango
    • By bingo bango 13th Oct 17, 1:52 PM
    • 2,463 Posts
    • 1,461 Thanks
    bingo bango
    My O2 data has thrown up some strange locations on my timeline. Seems to be where Google thinks the O2 server is located from what I can gather, and that shifts depending on when I use it (mostly London though).

So are Google tracking you? Absolutely they are.
    Is it for nefarious purposes? Only if you think data collection for analytics is evil.
    • ChrisJJ
    • By ChrisJJ 13th Oct 17, 2:52 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    ChrisJJ
    It's just a coincidence fed by your paranoia. The DWP couldn't find their own backside let alone track you.
    What was the other address? Are you concerned that it could be a covert location for MI5 checking on why you didn't return that library book in 1989?
    Originally posted by RumRat
    Hell, I'd forgotten about that book...

What's that saying.... Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you
    • ChrisJJ
    • By ChrisJJ 13th Oct 17, 2:54 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    ChrisJJ
    DWP , drugged you and took you off for interrogation , expect a nasty letter in the post
    Originally posted by pappa golf
    See, now, I bet that happened

I'm always in fear of the dreaded brown envelope so no change there.
    • ChrisJJ
    • By ChrisJJ 13th Oct 17, 2:57 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    ChrisJJ
    Have you ever logged on to your Google account using one of the DWP's computers?

If so then that may be the cause as they could possibly be routing all their traffic through a different location.
    Originally posted by Slithery
    God, no. Don't think I've ever been in one for twenty years. Long may it continue. Oh, no, it won't continue of course as they're tracking me now I'll be hauled in for questioning as soon as they can get my address right on the letter....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,566Posts Today

8,093Users online

Martin's Twitter