Strange question re unknown location on timeline.

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but will give it a go.

Computers and related issues bamboozle me, so I haven't a clue what's going on here and am hoping someone can reassure me I'm not being hacked by the DWP :rotfl:

Two days ago I noticed on my Google timeline two locations that I have never been to. They were specific addresses, one of which was a DWP office, 50 miles away in a town I've never been to. As I am currently in receipt of benefits due to ill health, and having had run ins with the DWP previously, my default mode of Utter Trepidation and Mild Hysteria was activated.

My panic arose, as, not understanding about computers and what is/isn't possible, my first thought was that they are tracking me. Paranoia? I think so :rotfl:

The thing is, I don't have the location tracker thing enabled on my phone, or computer, so even if I had been there, I presume it shouldn't show up?

This is driving me crazy. Especially since the two locations have now disappeared from my timeline :mad: There's absolutely nothing else on my timeline as, like I said, I don't have the location tracker enabled.

This is driving me mad.

Can anyone shed light on this??

Thank you.

Comments

• dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    GPS isn't the only way a device can be tracked to a location. If you use the wi-fi in Starbucks in Glasgow, for example, this also will generate location data. Mobile signals also generate location data via triangulation from the nearest masts.

Doesn't sound like either of these applies, as you weren't actually there, but maybe someone else was in that location, with your mobile phone (if it was left turned on in the car, for example)?

Every time we ignore those 30-page T&C's that every phone app seems to have, we ignore the fact we are often giving permission for location data to be used.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • ChrisJJ
    ChrisJJ Posts: 243 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Dunroving - thanks for your reply. No, my phone is always with me, definitely nowhere near this place 50 miles away. Phone never leaves my side so absolutely perplexed at this!
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,253 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Well, I thought I was pretty tech knowledgeable but I had to look up Google timeline. in doing so I found this where you can adjust or delete if it is wrong. It did say at the top that it is personal and only you can see it, so stop worrying!
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Have you ever logged on to your Google account using one of the DWP's computers?

If so then that may be the cause as they could possibly be routing all their traffic through a different location.
  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,781 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    It's just a coincidence fed by your paranoia. The DWP couldn't find their own backside let alone track you.
    What was the other address? Are you concerned that it could be a covert location for MI5 checking on why you didn't return that library book in 1989?;)
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • Spelunthus
    Spelunthus Posts: 162 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Name Dropper
    edited 13 October 2017 at 10:58AM
    As was said, Google maps may use GPS and WiFi locations to draw the timeline. Sometimes, a WiFi location name may "resolve" to a different geographic location than its physical location- if the router has been moved, or if there are mistakes in its setup. No need to be paranoid, you can edit the location in your timeline to remove or change it. You can also stop using Google Maps timeline completely. See https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6258979?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en for details
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    DWP , drugged you and took you off for interrogation , expect a nasty letter in the post
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    You're being paranoid. Turn off Google Timeline in Google, it is not doing anything for your mental health.
  • My newspaper I read at work thinks I am in Wigan and has loads of laser treatment especially for people who live in Wigan!

Where is this Wigan?
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    My newspaper I read at work thinks I am in Wigan and has loads of laser treatment especially for people who live in Wigan!

Where is this Wigan?

You dont half post some strange stuff
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family