Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • whambam
    • By whambam 11th Oct 17, 10:22 PM
    • 169Posts
    • 22Thanks
    whambam
    Witnessing A Car Accident
    • 11th Oct 17, 10:22 PM
    Witnessing A Car Accident 11th Oct 17 at 10:22 PM
    If you witness a car accident can both the cars in front prosecute you for failing to stop and being a witness to a small car accident or big?

I guess they would need your car registration plate to give to the police to find you?

Is it at your discretion or mandatory to be a witness to an accident to the police? Personally, I don't want to get involved as I don't want to take sides and potential be a target after the event as people burn your car, damage it and assault you if they see you again walking down the street.
Page 1
    • debtdebt
    • By debtdebt 11th Oct 17, 10:28 PM
    • 312 Posts
    • 193 Thanks
    debtdebt
    • 11th Oct 17, 10:28 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 10:28 PM
    No, you can't be forced to be a witness.

I hope people are just as unhelpful if you ever get involved in an accident and need a witness to back up your version of events.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 11th Oct 17, 10:38 PM
    • 15,292 Posts
    • 13,632 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 11th Oct 17, 10:38 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 10:38 PM
    Personally, I don't want to get involved as I don't want to take sides and potential be a target after the event as people burn your car, damage it and assault you if they see you again walking down the street.
    Originally posted by whambam
    Seriously...?
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 11th Oct 17, 10:56 PM
    • 414 Posts
    • 211 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    • 11th Oct 17, 10:56 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 10:56 PM
    No, you can't be forced to be a witness.

I hope people are just as unhelpful if you ever get involved in an accident and need a witness to back up your version of events.
    Originally posted by debtdebt
    Well technically you can be but it's unlikely to happen for a minor bump.
    • debtdebt
    • By debtdebt 11th Oct 17, 10:58 PM
    • 312 Posts
    • 193 Thanks
    debtdebt
    • 11th Oct 17, 10:58 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 10:58 PM
    Yes you're right. In a criminal investigation. you can be summonsed by the Police or CPS.

In a civil claim, if you've not given a witness statement, neither party can order you to provide a statement.
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 12th Oct 17, 7:58 AM
    • 10,351 Posts
    • 6,643 Thanks
    bigadaj
    • 12th Oct 17, 7:58 AM
    • 12th Oct 17, 7:58 AM
    Interesting posting history, seems like an appropriate user name.
    • CHR15
    • By CHR15 12th Oct 17, 4:02 PM
    • 4,821 Posts
    • 4,161 Thanks
    CHR15
    • 12th Oct 17, 4:02 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 4:02 PM
    Perhaps OP was one of the cars behind me who saw some chump decide to take an early exit from a roundabout from the right hand lane and clout into the side of my car.

Despite so many who would have seen what happened, nobody stopped. By the time I had parked up they had all moved on.

My Insurance say as it was a roundabout it is 50/50 liability, which I refused to accept.
    3 Months later and still no resolution.

And all because nobody was prepared to simply say what happened, no "taking sides" involved, just say what happened.

Be a good citizen OP and say what you saw.
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 12th Oct 17, 4:22 PM
    • 3,928 Posts
    • 3,323 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    • 12th Oct 17, 4:22 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 4:22 PM
    I don't want to get involved as I don't want to take sides
    Originally posted by whambam

As a witness you wouldn't - indeed mustn't - "take sides". You simply write down the facts as you saw them, and let the insurance companies make of them what they will. E.G. "Car A was stationary and car B ran into the back of car A". Importantly, you absolutely MUST NOT give any opinion of who was to blame in your view. You simply state the facts - no more, no less.
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • debtdebt
    • By debtdebt 12th Oct 17, 11:03 PM
    • 312 Posts
    • 193 Thanks
    debtdebt
    • 12th Oct 17, 11:03 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 11:03 PM
    When I was in practice, I was always taught that there is never any property in a witness i.e. they never belong to any party and shouldn't take sides. They should merely state what they saw.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 13th Oct 17, 12:00 AM
    • 2,303 Posts
    • 1,477 Thanks
    Car 54
    As a witness you wouldn't - indeed mustn't - "take sides". You simply write down the facts as you saw them, and let the insurance companies make of them what they will. E.G. "Car A was stationary and car B ran into the back of car A". Importantly, you absolutely MUST NOT give any opinion of who was to blame in your view. You simply state the facts - no more, no less.
    Originally posted by Ebe Scrooge
    Nonsense. You can give an opinion, but it will be ignored.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,324Posts Today

8,882Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin