PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Quirky property

Options
CP26
CP26 Posts: 138 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 9 October 2017 at 4:43PM in House buying, renting & selling
A lovely looking cottage has come up in our search area...it is in budget but it is 400k as the village is sought after.

Most of the time it will only be the 2 of us living there, however when we have guests, some of the property's quirkier features could become a little awkward...

Classed as a 4 bed but one of the bedrooms can only be accessed by going through another bedroom. Unless you were sticking kids in there it essentially becomes a decent sized wardrobe / study instead. Not a problem if it is just the 2 of us as we could use this as a master, but no good if we wanted to use those rooms for guests so it becomes a 3 bed.

One bedroom has to be accessed by going through the main jack and jill bathroom.

One bedroom has a shower, sink and loo in it...not as a separate ensuite room but more 'open plan'...if you were showering your roomate could see everything and if you want the loo you only have about 1m of wall (no door) to protect your modesty. :rotfl:

Another bedroom also has a loo, bidet and bath plumbed in...again open plan.

Due to the style I dont think you could do too much at all with the bedroom and bathroom configurations...except maybe take out the makeshift ensuites and put them back to being a normal bedroom. There is no room to extend the property either.

What do you all think? A bit too weird?

Comments

• gettingtheresometime
    Options
    How often do you have guests?
  • freeisgood
    freeisgood Posts: 549 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thats a little too weird. Is there a property link? would love to analyse the floor plan to think up other possibilities...there surely must be better configurations than a bog in the bedroom!
  • CP26
    Options
    Rarely but that is partially because we dont have the space in our current home anyway unless our guest is happy with a blow up in the lounge.

We are hosting Christmas this year and will have 2 couples staying over, so a 3 bed would be fine in theory.

Just think it is very odd that they owners have plumbed in so much bathroom stuff...
  • CP26
    Options
    Freeisgood...it is a 400 year old cottage with 2 chimney stacks coming up through it so any renovation would be very difficult and probably costly.

I dont mind just having one bathroom really, and it might be that the bedroom you have to get to via another bedroom could be turned into a proper ensuite.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You can always take it out or wall off the additional bathroom fittings to make a kind of en-suite if you want to. You can fit a shower room into a pretty small space. I'm expert level at interior remodelling :)

A walk in wardrobe sounds great for your bedroom, especially given there are two.

I love houses like that. There's a challenge in making it work for you but it's usually balanced by having great character and interested. Lego boxes are not for this girl :o

I think people place way too much importance on guest bedrooms. The least used rooms in the house.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Options
    Does my head in this. Ive got a 3 bed house. Used to have a 'guest' room and a xbox room as well as the master bedroom.

So baby comes along, not a problem, she can have the guest room. NOPE apparently we need to cater for other people. I wouldnt mind too much but it gets used as a guest room once a year if at all. The xbox room was utilised at least 200 days a year! To add we cant dump rubbish (not literally rubbish just acquired tat) in that room thats not used in case someone stays over, but we have to live with the rubbish interfering with day to day lives.

Thats it im going home, shes getting told and im getting my xbox room back. Ill see you all tomorrow in the marriage boards.

Ermhh sorry. You should buy a house for you not guests. I could understand accommodating children coming home if theyre around that age but id think they would be willing to accept the quirkyness. :D
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I never understand these queries.

how can anyone else's opinion possibly be relevant? Only you can decide whether you like the property enough to put up with the 'quirks'.
  • CP26
    Options
    Spadoosh...totally get what youre saying however being able to have people over and have the space to host overnight is really important to us.

Ohs family live a good drive away and mine arent exactly local. We want them to be able to visit us, enjoy a nice bottle of wine and not have to worry about who is driving home in the dark. Our current house doesnt have a lot of flexibility at all so we want a new bigger place that will allow us to host if we need to.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    edited 9 October 2017 at 5:07PM
    Options
    Having to walk through another room bears no impact on them being able to do that!

Particularly after a bottle of red! For the occasional night, it just doesn't matter. If you're close enough to have them stay...
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • CP26
    Options
    G_M ...take your point but arent these forums about getting other peoples opinions and advice even if the topic seems a bit trivial.

Never had a quirky property before and wanted to see if anyone else had any thoughts on possibilities with it really. Wondered if people would feel a bit weirded out if they were presented with a bedroom with a loo in the middle of it as a guest?

It would cost a bit to remove the fittings and make good, or try to make them more private which obviously then has an impact on how worth it the property is....and it might also have an impact on resale value to remove those features perhaps? No idea as only ever bought one mainstream house before.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure