Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CP26
    • By CP26 9th Oct 17, 4:28 PM
    • 134Posts
    • 91Thanks
    CP26
    Quirky property
    • 9th Oct 17, 4:28 PM
    Quirky property 9th Oct 17 at 4:28 PM
    A lovely looking cottage has come up in our search area...it is in budget but it is 400k as the village is sought after.

Most of the time it will only be the 2 of us living there, however when we have guests, some of the property's quirkier features could become a little awkward...

Classed as a 4 bed but one of the bedrooms can only be accessed by going through another bedroom. Unless you were sticking kids in there it essentially becomes a decent sized wardrobe / study instead. Not a problem if it is just the 2 of us as we could use this as a master, but no good if we wanted to use those rooms for guests so it becomes a 3 bed.

One bedroom has to be accessed by going through the main jack and jill bathroom.

One bedroom has a shower, sink and loo in it...not as a separate ensuite room but more 'open plan'...if you were showering your roomate could see everything and if you want the loo you only have about 1m of wall (no door) to protect your modesty.

Another bedroom also has a loo, bidet and bath plumbed in...again open plan.

Due to the style I dont think you could do too much at all with the bedroom and bathroom configurations...except maybe take out the makeshift ensuites and put them back to being a normal bedroom. There is no room to extend the property either.

What do you all think? A bit too weird?
    Last edited by CP26; 09-10-2017 at 4:43 PM.
Page 1
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 9th Oct 17, 4:41 PM
    • 2,857 Posts
    • 6,450 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    • 9th Oct 17, 4:41 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 4:41 PM
    How often do you have guests?
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - the Argos Card!
    • freeisgood
    • By freeisgood 9th Oct 17, 4:44 PM
    • 488 Posts
    • 744 Thanks
    freeisgood
    • 9th Oct 17, 4:44 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 4:44 PM
    Thats a little too weird. Is there a property link? would love to analyse the floor plan to think up other possibilities...there surely must be better configurations than a bog in the bedroom!
    • CP26
    • By CP26 9th Oct 17, 4:45 PM
    • 134 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    CP26
    • 9th Oct 17, 4:45 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 4:45 PM
    Rarely but that is partially because we dont have the space in our current home anyway unless our guest is happy with a blow up in the lounge.

We are hosting Christmas this year and will have 2 couples staying over, so a 3 bed would be fine in theory.

Just think it is very odd that they owners have plumbed in so much bathroom stuff...
    • CP26
    • By CP26 9th Oct 17, 4:48 PM
    • 134 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    CP26
    • 9th Oct 17, 4:48 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 4:48 PM
    Freeisgood...it is a 400 year old cottage with 2 chimney stacks coming up through it so any renovation would be very difficult and probably costly.

I dont mind just having one bathroom really, and it might be that the bedroom you have to get to via another bedroom could be turned into a proper ensuite.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 9th Oct 17, 4:51 PM
    • 23,897 Posts
    • 66,429 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 9th Oct 17, 4:51 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 4:51 PM
    You can always take it out or wall off the additional bathroom fittings to make a kind of en-suite if you want to. You can fit a shower room into a pretty small space. I'm expert level at interior remodelling

A walk in wardrobe sounds great for your bedroom, especially given there are two.

I love houses like that. There's a challenge in making it work for you but it's usually balanced by having great character and interested. Lego boxes are not for this girl

I think people place way too much importance on guest bedrooms. The least used rooms in the house.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 9th Oct 17, 4:53 PM
    • 4,371 Posts
    • 5,702 Thanks
    spadoosh
    • 9th Oct 17, 4:53 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 4:53 PM
    Does my head in this. Ive got a 3 bed house. Used to have a 'guest' room and a xbox room as well as the master bedroom.

So baby comes along, not a problem, she can have the guest room. NOPE apparently we need to cater for other people. I wouldnt mind too much but it gets used as a guest room once a year if at all. The xbox room was utilised at least 200 days a year! To add we cant dump rubbish (not literally rubbish just acquired tat) in that room thats not used in case someone stays over, but we have to live with the rubbish interfering with day to day lives.

Thats it im going home, shes getting told and im getting my xbox room back. Ill see you all tomorrow in the marriage boards.

Ermhh sorry. You should buy a house for you not guests. I could understand accommodating children coming home if theyre around that age but id think they would be willing to accept the quirkyness.
    Don't be angry!
    • G_M
    • By G_M 9th Oct 17, 4:57 PM
    • 41,456 Posts
    • 47,834 Thanks
    G_M
    • 9th Oct 17, 4:57 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 4:57 PM
    I never understand these queries.

how can anyone else's opinion possibly be relevant? Only you can decide whether you like the property enough to put up with the 'quirks'.
    • CP26
    • By CP26 9th Oct 17, 5:01 PM
    • 134 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    CP26
    • 9th Oct 17, 5:01 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 5:01 PM
    Spadoosh...totally get what youre saying however being able to have people over and have the space to host overnight is really important to us.

Ohs family live a good drive away and mine arent exactly local. We want them to be able to visit us, enjoy a nice bottle of wine and not have to worry about who is driving home in the dark. Our current house doesnt have a lot of flexibility at all so we want a new bigger place that will allow us to host if we need to.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 9th Oct 17, 5:05 PM
    • 23,897 Posts
    • 66,429 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    Having to walk through another room bears no impact on them being able to do that!

Particularly after a bottle of red! For the occasional night, it just doesn't matter. If you're close enough to have them stay...
    Last edited by Doozergirl; 09-10-2017 at 5:07 PM.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • CP26
    • By CP26 9th Oct 17, 5:09 PM
    • 134 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    CP26
    G_M ...take your point but arent these forums about getting other peoples opinions and advice even if the topic seems a bit trivial.

Never had a quirky property before and wanted to see if anyone else had any thoughts on possibilities with it really. Wondered if people would feel a bit weirded out if they were presented with a bedroom with a loo in the middle of it as a guest?

It would cost a bit to remove the fittings and make good, or try to make them more private which obviously then has an impact on how worth it the property is....and it might also have an impact on resale value to remove those features perhaps? No idea as only ever bought one mainstream house before.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 9th Oct 17, 6:19 PM
    • 29,997 Posts
    • 17,928 Thanks
    getmore4less
    Sounds like this one.

• Scotbot
    • By Scotbot 9th Oct 17, 6:45 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    Scotbot
    Having to walk through another room bears no impact on them being able to do that!

Particularly after a bottle of red! For the occasional night, it just doesn't matter. If you're close enough to have them stay...
    Originally posted by Doozergirl
    Freeisgood...it is a 400 year old cottage with 2 chimney stacks coming up through it so any renovation would be very difficult and probably costly.

I dont mind just having one bathroom really, and it might be that the bedroom you have to get to via another bedroom could be turned into a proper ensuite.
    Originally posted by CP26
    Can you post the right move link?
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 9th Oct 17, 6:56 PM
    • 2,854 Posts
    • 3,907 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    If you have to walk through one bedroom to get to another does that mean that the owners have made a large bedroom into two so that they can charge £400k for a 4 bed rather than £350k for a 3 bed?
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 9th Oct 17, 7:12 PM
    • 9,736 Posts
    • 7,760 Thanks
    lincroft1710

We are hosting Christmas this year and will have 2 couples staying over, so a 3 bed would be fine in theory.
    Originally posted by CP26
    As there are only 11 weeks to Xmas, you may still be in your current home
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 9th Oct 17, 7:13 PM
    • 23,327 Posts
    • 88,921 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Speaking as someone who's spent a lot on de-quirking, I'd say beware of the word, as very often it resides in EA details as a substitute for 'bodged-up by a loony.'

I'm talking stupid narrow corridors where you can touch both walls with your elbows, strange ramps where floor heights don't match, high toilet cisterns which wash your shoes and trendy ovens that fail to cook things when the wind blows hard. Oh, and don't forget the 7 exits. Was someone in a fire, I wonder?

All that is probably easily forgivable in a 400 year old cottage, but in a 1970s bungalow it's just bloody annoying.

So, context is everything, and if the quirks make the house a little less saleable, then it may just fall inside rather than outside your price bracket. That'll help you forgive it too.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • CP26
    • By CP26 9th Oct 17, 7:37 PM
    • 134 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    CP26
    Thanks for the comments.

That is indeed the floor plan. I was prepared to look at making the bathroom additions a bit more private or removing them entirely so was liking the idea of a quaint cottage....however OH has ruled it out...not because of dodgy room loos but because he thinks the road is too busy and he doesnt like the lack of central heating in a 400 year old cottage.

Nevermind...our search shall continue!

Seems open plan loos arent that rare though...seen another one today with an open ensuite. Find it very odd!
    Last edited by CP26; 09-10-2017 at 7:49 PM.
    • freeisgood
    • By freeisgood 10th Oct 17, 10:30 AM
    • 488 Posts
    • 744 Thanks
    freeisgood
    With that bathroom...surely it would be possible to put a corridor though it? Make one bit and enclosed shower and sink room and the other a loo?
    As for the Bed room through to the other 2nd bedroom...both have got windows in the right places...so you should be able to put a stud wall across the first bedroom to create a smaller room (meaning you have a corridor with wardrobes in) taking you to the 2nd bedroom...there are possibilities
    • LMG1305
    • By LMG1305 10th Oct 17, 10:41 AM
    • 95 Posts
    • 672 Thanks
    LMG1305
    With that bathroom...surely it would be possible to put a corridor though it? Make one bit and enclosed shower and sink room and the other a loo?
    As for the Bed room through to the other 2nd bedroom...both have got windows in the right places...so you should be able to put a stud wall across the first bedroom to create a smaller room (meaning you have a corridor with wardrobes in) taking you to the 2nd bedroom...there are possibilities
    Originally posted by freeisgood
    I was about to say the same thing. Looking at that floor plan it looks pretty easy to create separate access to both those bedrooms by partitioning the bathroom & the bedroom that is currently a walk through. I guess it would depend on the size of the rooms though because if they're already fairly small, partitioning them to create a hallway for access might make them too small.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 10th Oct 17, 10:42 AM
    • 4,591 Posts
    • 19,711 Thanks
    Slinky
    The ground floor would do my head in using that arrangement. Having to walk through the hall and breakfast room to the dining room - you'd never use it. I think I'd have to knock through and make the lounge a dining room and knock the breakfast room into the dining room to make a lounge.

As for upstairs, what a jumbly mess that is.

And looking at the overall measurements, it's pretty small.

Not one for me!

There must be something better than that out there somewhere.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,358Posts Today

7,091Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin