Virgin media - relocation cancellation fees

Options
Totally unimpressed with Virgin Media!

In April we signed up to a tv, phone and broadband deal with a salesman who came to my flat, he assured us that there would be no activation fee to pay, however a £20 activation fee was taken from my account. After various calls to the Virgin Medica contact centres I was directed back to the sales man, who said he would get his boss to authorise the refund - this was 4 months ago and I still haven't received anything and the sales guy no longer answers my calls!

My landlord has decided to sell my flat so I'm having to move and Virgin do not supply to that area. I called to cancel and they said I have to pay £104 cancellation fee, is that correct?! I'd of moved the services to my new property and seen out my contract if I could, surely I shouldn't have to pay?!

Also finding out that I was about to be charged an extra £24 for sky movies took the biscuit, the salesman did not tell us that we would have to call to opt out at the end of the '3 months free sky movies' bonus that he kindly gave us!!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes its correct you pay off your valid contract . Not VMs fault you move to a non VM area.
    See multiple identical posts .

Was the salesman VM or just someone selling VM ??
  • rtho782
    rtho782 Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's hardly Virgin's fault you've moved out of their area, of course they will charge you for cancelling.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    mawk86 wrote: »
    finding out that I was about to be charged an extra £24 for sky movies took the biscuit, the salesman did not tell us that we would have to call to opt out at the end of the '3 months free sky movies' bonus that he kindly gave us!!
    Did you really think the offer would just end and you then wouldn't be charged? I think it's standard with all providers that if you take a "free" trial period you then have to cancel or be subsequently charged at the end of it.

You are tied into a minimum term contract and now want to leave early. Unfortunately, it doesn't matter that you would have taken your Virgin services with you since this is not possible. Since it is you wanting to end the contract at the premises you currently occupy, it is you who has to pay the financial penalty. Early Termination of Contract (ETC) fees are, again, standard with all providers.

As for the £20 activation fee, I think you'd need more than just a salesman's word that this wouldn't be charged. It's unlikely that Virgin will even refund this as a gesture of goodwill now that you are leaving...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure