Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fapfapfapfapfap
    • By fapfapfapfapfap 8th Oct 17, 11:52 AM
    • 9Posts
    • 0Thanks
    fapfapfapfapfap
    Council Housing?
    • 8th Oct 17, 11:52 AM
    Council Housing? 8th Oct 17 at 11:52 AM
    I don't understand council housing.

Why is it you can get council housing when you earn enough to afford something off the private rental market? Yes, there's a wait and you can have your reasons. But shouldn't council housing only be available to the needy, not those who 'meet' the criteria but could reasonably afford private rented accommodation. I don't get why they don't mean test this aspect of the applicant?
Page 1
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 8th Oct 17, 11:54 AM
    • 4,906 Posts
    • 3,910 Thanks
    glentoran99
    • 8th Oct 17, 11:54 AM
    • 8th Oct 17, 11:54 AM
    Allocation of houses is means tested, However after you move in they aren't going to (aint nor should they) kick you out if you start earning
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 8th Oct 17, 12:10 PM
    • 5,348 Posts
    • 10,999 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    • 8th Oct 17, 12:10 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 12:10 PM
    Is rent councils charge cheaper than private rents?

I thought the reason council houses are in high demand is the security they offer, not the rent. Why should a working family (who would pay full rent) not be allowed the same security than those not working?
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 8th Oct 17, 12:44 PM
    • 1,812 Posts
    • 3,767 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 8th Oct 17, 12:44 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 12:44 PM
    Is rent councils charge cheaper than private rents?

I thought the reason council houses are in high demand is the security they offer, not the rent. Why should a working family (who would pay full rent) not be allowed the same security than those not working?
    Originally posted by iammumtoone
    Some are at market rates, but the majority of stock is generally far lower, especially in London.

In my area you can get a three bed council house for £85 a week, and a two bed flat for £65 (the latter including heating). On the open market you'll pay £150+ and £110+ respectively.

I wouldn't assume that those unable to afford market rents are out of work, particularly in higher cost areas.
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 8th Oct 17, 1:06 PM
    • 5,532 Posts
    • 4,916 Thanks
    00ec25
    • 8th Oct 17, 1:06 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 1:06 PM
    Originally posted by fapfapfapfapfap
    have you even tried to find out given the naivety of your question?

here is lots of info
    https://www.gov.uk/government/statistical-data-sets/live-tables-on-rents-lettings-and-tenancies
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 8th Oct 17, 3:57 PM
    • 757 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 8th Oct 17, 3:57 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 3:57 PM
    Why is it you can get council housing when you earn enough to afford something off the private rental market?
    I earn £15k and lived in a privately rented terraced house for 10 years, I am now in a council rented property that was more expensive, but it does have better facilities.
    People on benefits can earn more than people working.

• sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 8th Oct 17, 4:00 PM
    • 757 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 8th Oct 17, 4:00 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 4:00 PM
    Allocation of houses is means tested, However after you move in they aren't going to (aint nor should they) kick you out if you start earning
    Originally posted by glentoran99
    You should see some of the expensive cars parked outside social housing, those in private rented housing are not so rich.

• dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 8th Oct 17, 5:08 PM
    • 3,658 Posts
    • 2,990 Thanks
    dekaspace
    • 8th Oct 17, 5:08 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 5:08 PM
    You should see some of the expensive cars parked outside social housing, those in private rented housing are not so rich.
    Originally posted by sevenhills

Reasons for both, person in social housing could be in a good job, person in private housing low income.

Or like the new builds (1 year old) near me they were made for disabled people who needed big cars that often ended up to be new or close to new.

Anyone walking past would just assume they were wealthy.

So reality is we can never know.

My friend jokes with me when he comes to my council flat that all the cars around are no more than a few years old, even seen new audis parked outside mine.
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 8th Oct 17, 5:16 PM
    • 9,101 Posts
    • 12,063 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    • 8th Oct 17, 5:16 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 5:16 PM
    Welcome to MSE.

OP has odd name perhaps indicating less than serious approach.

No response to replies. Zero other posts.

Perhaps possible tr#ll? Perhaps not.
    • wullie
    • By wullie 8th Oct 17, 6:18 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    wullie
    People who have lived in their council houses for 20/30 years shouldn't be thrown out now just because they got off their bottoms and worked. It's not their fault the " market value " in private renting is so high. The reason it's so high was the sale of council houses in the first place which fell into the hands of buy to let landlords eventually. These landlords charge more than the council for the same properties. Well, in fact, the council properties are nearly always better maintained. It's an insane situation, but hardly the fault of the council tenant.
    If an original tenant had bought their house years ago, they'd have made a killing and added to the problem. If they didn't agree with the policy and kept their house in council ownership, people are now saying they should be kicked out of their homes because they earn a living.
    In other word council tenants. You're damned if you don't. You're damned if you do.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 8th Oct 17, 6:40 PM
    • 3,261 Posts
    • 4,528 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    People who have lived in their council houses for 20/30 years shouldn't be thrown out now just because they got off their bottoms and worked. It's not their fault the " market value " in private renting is so high. The reason it's so high was the sale of council houses in the first place which fell into the hands of buy to let landlords eventually. These landlords charge more than the council for the same properties. Well, in fact, the council properties are nearly always better maintained. It's an insane situation, but hardly the fault of the council tenant.
    If an original tenant had bought their house years ago, they'd have made a killing and added to the problem. If they didn't agree with the policy and kept their house in council ownership, people are now saying they should be kicked out of their homes because they earn a living.
    In other word council tenants. You're damned if you don't. You're damned if you do.
    Originally posted by wullie
    Which buy to let landlords? I am a landlord and I don't own any ex council houses.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 8th Oct 17, 6:43 PM
    • 28,630 Posts
    • 72,949 Thanks
    Mojisola
    People who have lived in their council houses for 20/30 years shouldn't be thrown out now just because they got off their bottoms and worked.
    There's no reason why they can't keep their council tenancy but have their ability to pay a market rent assessed.

I know people who got a council house when they were young couples with young children with only one full wage coming into the house. Now there are three or four adults working full-time in the same house but they are still paying the lower council rent.
    • wullie
    • By wullie 8th Oct 17, 7:47 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    wullie
    Which buy to let landlords? I am a landlord and I don't own any ex council houses.
    Originally posted by Cakeguts

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/right-to-buy-housing-shame-third-ex-council-1743338

a third apparently. You are (whisper) not the only landlord in the UK
    • wullie
    • By wullie 8th Oct 17, 7:50 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    wullie
    There's no reason why they can't keep their council tenancy but have their ability to pay a market rent assessed.

I know people who got a council house when they were young couples with young children with only one full wage coming into the house. Now there are three or four adults working full-time in the same house but they are still paying the lower council rent.
    Originally posted by Mojisola
    Well if this is the case, they can afford to buy the property. So what then? Another council house gone.
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 8th Oct 17, 7:56 PM
    • 757 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    sevenhills
    Well if this is the case, they can afford to buy the property. So what then? Another council house gone.
    They need to lower the discount on a council house, until they are building more than they are selling.

• wullie
    • By wullie 8th Oct 17, 8:04 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    wullie
    Right to buy was/is a disaster. But I bought my house when the Government threatened pay to stay. Who in their right mind would pay more rent than a mortgage? The Tories thought it would buy them votes, and the public thanked them by voting for Blair in their millions.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 8th Oct 17, 9:07 PM
    • 28,630 Posts
    • 72,949 Thanks
    Mojisola
    They don't want to. They have an secure tenancy and someone else is responsible for all the maintenance and repairs.

If their circumstances change, they can claim help to pay the rent.
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 9th Oct 17, 12:25 AM
    • 4,901 Posts
    • 6,862 Thanks
    deannatrois
    I live in Kent and yes I am on benefits with two children. I live in a maisonette. Its a bit larger than the smaller terraced houses that abound here. The rent is £400 a month. Private rents are disproportionately high as only 12 miles from London with quick transport links - private rental on a 3 bed terrace house now is around £1,100 . I couldn't begin to pay that as LHA when I last looked is around £750 pm.

Where I am now, every person/family who has social housing is either of pensionable age or has special needs. Its really tough to get social housing now, I think the profile of those in social housing in some areas is changing because of the stringent requirements to be considered in 'housing need'..
    Last edited by deannatrois; 09-10-2017 at 12:50 AM.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 9th Oct 17, 12:46 AM
    • 7,897 Posts
    • 8,010 Thanks
    pogofish

Why is it you can get council housing when you earn enough to afford something off the private rental market? Yes, there's a wait and you can have your reasons. But shouldn't council housing only be available to the needy, not those who 'meet' the criteria but could reasonably afford private rented accommodation. I don't get why they don't mean test this aspect of the applicant?
    On the offchance this isn't a troll.

Council housing provision has never been entirely about income/earnings - Although certainly its been twisted/repurposed (eg slum clearance, Homes fit for heroes) over the years and mainly aimed at the working classes, the original concept as laid out by the various Housing Acts, of providing housing that serves the needs of the wider society/community still clings-on to some degree.

To quote Nye Bevan - "Where the working man, the doctor and the clergyman will live in close proximity to each other"
    Last edited by pogofish; 09-10-2017 at 12:56 AM.
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 9th Oct 17, 6:21 AM
    • 757 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    sevenhills
    I live in Kent

Where I am now, every person/family who has social housing is either of pensionable age or has special needs. Its really tough to get social housing now,..
    Originally posted by deannatrois
    As a single parent, I got a council house, I was on the waiting list for 4/5 years, I live in Leeds.
    Most things seem worse in the London area, not sure why people would choose to live there.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

280Posts Today

1,142Users online

Martin's Twitter