Novice investment fund

Options
Hi all,

I'm 38, working full time, paying into a public sector pension and have 6 months insurance on my wages in the event of needing to take time off work.

I have no debt and currently have approx £5k premium bonds and £6k just sat in a sub account in my standard Barclays account. I don't think it earns any interest whatsoever.

I currently pay £150pm into my premium bonds account but don't miss it and wonder whether I should transfer a chunk of my money (£3k maybe?) into an investment fund and then use the £150pm to top it up.

I've had a quick look at Nutmeg.com and I've seen that lots of people on here to for the vanguard LS 60 or 80. I'm looking at investing longer term (10 to 15years).

I don't know much about these funds and I don't want to learn tbh. I'm willing to risk my money and understand I can lose more than I put in.

All things considered, I'm thinking of the VLS60 but wondered if anyone else had any advice or comments to offer?

Comments

• jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,655 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    tony863 wrote: »
    I have no debt and currently have approx £5k premium bonds and £6k just sat in a sub account in my standard Barclays account. I don't think it earns any interest whatsoever.

That is something you should sort asap as you're on a money saving site! You could get 3-5% on that money, so up to £300 per year. Worth a bit of effort!
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • tony863
    tony863 Posts: 380 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jimjames wrote: »
    That is something you should sort asap as you're on a money saving site! You could get 3-5% on that money, so up to £300 per year. Worth a bit of effort!

Hence the reason for this post :rotfl:
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,668 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 October 2017 at 11:00PM
    Options
    Hi Tony

Personally I wouldn't pay the insurance on your job (who knows it might not pay out or you might need the money for another reason) but keep around £5k to £10k in cash depending on your minimum outgoings getting a 5% return with products such as Nationwide Flex Direct (first year only sadly) and the regular savers associated with bank accounts such as HSBC, M&S, First Direct, Santander 123 or Nationwide again. You might end up with 4 bank accounts check the conditions carefully but it works for me. You might even get some bonuses for switching.

The trick with 1 year regular savers is to have them each 3, 4 or 6 months offset (depending on how many providers you get going at once) so there is always enough in the accounts in total. If you start them all at the same time then they all mature at the same time which is sub optimal.

When they mature open another one immediately making a 1st month contribution. Then move the remaining 11 month + interest lump sum into an investment account for the long term.

Both Nutmeg and Vanguard offer fixed allocation shares vs bond ratios in 20% increments. I have accounts with both and Nutmeg is very easy to operate and Vanguard is a bit harder but still easy enough. They are both a lot simpler than share dealing accounts. In both cases the fees are deducted automatically so you don't need to worry about maintaining a cash balance.

Nutmeg's fixed allocation level 3 (out of 5) is equivalent to VLS60. Nutmeg rebalance when the ratio has moved 6% but Vanguard probably rebalance more frequently. Nutmeg cost 0.62% total (0.45% + 0.17%) and Vanguard are 0.37% total (0.15% + 0.22%).

As such for a S&S ISA then Vanguard would be cheaper.

However as Vanguard don't do Lifetime ISAs (if you are saving for your first home or can wait until age 60) to get the government 25% bonus then Nutmeg would be a good LISA choice. Or so would buying VLS in an AJ Bell LISA (0.25% + 0.22% plus £1.50 per fund trade) but it's more complicated platform.

You need to invest long term to reduce the chances of crystallising losses when the market valuations are low - the below article has a great graph:

https://www.nutmeg.com/nutmegonomics/increasing-your-chances-of-positive-portfolio-returns-the-facts-about-long-term-investing/

Ps I don't understand your comment about loosing more than you put in. For these types of investments (VLS is an OEIC and Nutmeg use ETFs) your losses are limited by the amount invested.

Hope this helps,
    Alex
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,534 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 8 October 2017 at 11:34AM
    Options
    And Nutmeg have just published this years accounts and their loses have gone up again (as they have every year since they started) and the directors have said they will likely have to go capital raising again to continue trading.

https://www.ftadviser.com/your-industry/2017/10/02/nutmeg-losses-soar-to-9-3m/
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Alexland
    edited 8 October 2017 at 7:55AM
    Options
    Yes but with such rapid customer expansion in the past 2 years you would expect losses to increase. I doubt Vanguard are anywhere near covering their costs from their UK platform launch yet either.

Even if Nutmeg funding ran out, and no more was available, the customer base would be sufficiently valuable to be bought. Their customer age profiles, volumes and assets under management are starting to look very attractive. I question if the shareholders get their investment back but that's not a customer issue.

Alex
  • tony863
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, especially the lengthy reply from Alex.

I don't want to mess around with opening and closing bank accounts to make a few hundred quid a year. I know it sounds irresponsible but I'm looking to find something that I can just drop my money into and then come back in 15 years time to find that it's made me some half decent interest.

I already own my own home so I don't need to save for a deposit and my insurance scheme at work is pretty cheap in any event (approx £12 per month). This is more the case that I tend to save anything left over from my wages on a monthly basis and every few months I transfer it into another account.

I normally have around £200 to £500 left over and might transfer £1k to £2k every few months until it gets to a sizeable amount. Last time I emptied it, I paid £6k for a family holiday to Mexico!

I won't miss the money but I realise that I'm missing an opportunity by simply leaving it sat there doing nothing.

I'm thinking of doing £2k Nutmeg and £2k VLS 60% with £100 per month going into each. Any thoughts?
  • Alexland
    edited 8 October 2017 at 12:20PM
    Options
    Hi Tony

If you are 38 now and investing for 15 years if you were willing to wait a further 6 - 7 years to withdraw at 60 the LISA would be perfect? You could use the 25% government bonus to go to Mexico again?

Alex
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    tony863 wrote: »
    I don't want to mess around with opening and closing bank accounts to make a few hundred quid a year. I know it sounds irresponsible but I'm looking to find something that I can just drop my money into and then come back in 15 years time to find that it's made me some half decent interest.
    There's nothing that will make half decent interest over 15 years.
    There are things that will make a more than decent return, but as a combination of dividends and capital growth, not interest. Vanguard, and maybe Nutmeg, and many other funds will do this.
    That's long term.

You should also be looking to make money from your short-term and medium-term cash holdings, and that's where interest paying bank accounts, of various types, come in.
    Once you've go online banking set up, opening further accounts, such a a new Regular Saver every year, just takes a few minutes, a hundred pounds for 5 minutes work is a pretty good pay-rate.

The best paying current account (Nationwide) only lasts a year, but the other good accounts last indefinitely, and have been going for years.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
  • tony863
    Options
    Alexland wrote: »
    Hi Tony

If you are 38 now and investing for 15 years if you were willing to wait a further 6 - 7 years to withdraw at 60 the LISA would be perfect? You could use the 25% government bonus to go to Mexico again?

Alex

Absolutely. I don't mind just leaving it until I'm 60, I just said 15 years as I was trying to get across the point that I'm prepared to leave it for a long time.

Is the LISA a better option than the funds? Is there an example calculator available that estimates a return? I might be getting it wrong but I'm assuming a LISA is no risk whatsoever and therefore the return is not nearly as good as it could be with Nutmeg or VLS?
  • tony863
    Options
    Eco_Miser wrote: »
    There's nothing that will make half decent interest over 15 years.
    There are things that will make a more than decent return, but as a combination of dividends and capital growth, not interest.

You should also be looking to make money from your short-term and medium-term cash holdings.

Apologies.... Wrong choice of word...I meant return or any other word that describes me gaining more than I put in.

I'll consider the high interest accounts but I don't really fancy the faff. A few minutes work on top of my normal daily life is too much hassle at the moment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure