Hoping Someone Can Help

Options
Hi all ,

Was hoping someone can help , an old lady hit my parked vehicle outside my house she admitted liability and I decided not to let my insurance handle it because I heard they seek out more damages and charge more for a courtesy car etc , and I was worried having a claim on my account ,

Her insurance paid me out quickly and took my car , a salvage company came and collected it (they paid me what I paid for the car) I'm not sure if they were write it off or selling it as spares , I did have to fill in the V5 with the company's name ,

My own insurance tried to take my monthly payment from my bank , can I just buy a new car and change the vehicle ? ,

I'd much rather do that than have to pay a chunk of money on a deposit for a new policy online ,

Someone hit my other car over a year ago she also admitted liability and I'm sure my insurance company at that time said no they have to close the claim (but my car was written off defiantly that time ,

So if her insurance bought it can I just change the vehicle ?

In other words is it only when your car is written off they close your claim ?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    You misunderstand how this all works

You must notify your insurer now that your car has been written off in a collision. Stress to them that you have dealt with the third party insurer and won't be making any claim.

Then find out how long you have to put on a replacement car on your policy.

Check with them before buying a new car to ensure they are happy to cover it otherwise you will have to cancel the policy and buy new one elsewhere.

You must disclose both these claims when approaching insurers for quotes over the next 5 years or so depending on how long a history is asked about
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As above if you have not informed then you need to do it NOW. This WILL come back and bite you if you do not.

And even though you didnt claim from your insurance you still need to declare it, the insurance companies can easily find out about this incident.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,109 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    When our car was written off our insurance gave us one month to replace it on the same policy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure