IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Number plate cameras

Tango1947
Tango1947 Posts: 29 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 8 October 2017 at 9:16AM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Deleted .......

Comments

• Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    POFA2012 allows for up to 14 days to notify a keeper (not driver) of a charge, a pcn , where ANPR cameras are used (and where no windscreen ticket was issued, had that happened they would notify a keeper between day 29 and day 56 according to POFA2012 - so an even longer delay)

this info from four months ago tells people about keeping tickets for say 3 months , so you missed that too

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/team-blog/2017/05/30/throwing-pay-display-ticket-away-use-cost-100/

and this parking prankster blog a few years ago explains ANPR cameras

http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/how-parking-operators-use-anpr.html
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Tango1947 wrote: »
    I knew in my mind that I had bought a ticket and searched around in my car and luckily found the ticket which had correct reg no, data and time and fee paid.

Of course I have appealed and am awaiting response to my letter.

I hope you've checked the ticket your purchased closely? Any 'O's you may have entered as a zero or 'I's entered as a number one (or vice versa)? If so you may not find it as easy to get cancelled as you may think.
  • Redx
    edited 6 October 2017 at 6:15PM
    that point is not "irrelevant" because anyone else searching this forum for information may not keep tickets and may learn from the info provided

and discrepancies like the VRM typos feature a lot in this particular field

you said you could not find the info you needed so I pointed you (and anyone else) at the correct info (partly because you brought up those 2 points). I have posted those links and the info many times before on here, which is why I found the info again so quickly (so despite your quick search , the info was on this forum in previous threads)

nobody is bothered about you being a newbie, there is a lot to learn and you have grasped most of the issues here , I was filling in the blanks with my 5 years of experience , bearing in mind that the ANPR issues were covered years ago as that prankster blog is over 3.5 years old, plus POFA2012 is now a 5 year old law

and you are quite right that these sc@mmers should do "due diligence" checks and should have seen that a ticket was purchased, even if some of the info was incorrect (you say its correct info , they beg to differ because they sent you an NTK that says no payment was even made , never mind typo issues)

they seem to do stuff like this all the time , PLUS its also a fact that those machines are flawed and despite any human checks they are alleging non-payment

http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/peel-centre-machine-failure-transcript.html
    There are a number of known errors with parking machines, and it is not the motorists fault when these errors occur. The Peel centre is particularly prone. It is probably the worst run car park in the whole country, as a disproportionate proportion of The Prankster's mailbag is taken up with complaints about this car park.
    a different car park - yes, but the faults apply to all p & d ticket machines

and to err is human , hence the failure of any human checks (or greed) - I suppose the sheer numbers of pcn,s issued means its all roboclaim territory

so as long as you appeal AS KEEPER (not as driver), using the template appeal and also adding a paragraph that THE DRIVER paid for a ticket and attached is the proof of payment (a scan or pic of the ticket) , then you are rebuking them for their incompetence and lack of due diligence and trying to shame them into submission espite their website claims

if they were honourable , honest people , they would cancel the pcn , if not , you could have them for a DPA breach when you win , due to the incompetence you have pointed out being compounded by a refusal to accept it in the face of overwhelming evidence

sadly, these matters tend to go a lot further and that is why you may have more difficulty in proving your point (correctly) and getting a cancellation , it may even go as far as a court case where you can present your views and ticket to a judge

your logic is the same as mine , sadly I have learned over the years that this is in a minority with these parking company sc@mmers , they chase profit using greed and avarice and they think that all their victims are ignorant pleasants ripe for the plucking

its a sc@mmers paradise , which is why I started learning about it over 5 years ago , to protect my family and friends , as well as myself , so welcome to the club
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Redx wrote: »
    that point is not "irrelevant" because anyone else searching this forum for information may not keep tickets and may learn from the info provided

and discrepancies like the VRM typos feature a lot in this particular field.

You mean like this?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4956452/Father-faces-court-not-paying-free-car-park-s-fine.html
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    As this is an alleged debt, the only way the PPC can get a penny out of you is to take you to court. If you can prove that you have paid, then they will lose.

You can then ask the judge for your costs and, of he thinks the PPC has acted unreasonably, compensation, and possibly sue them for Data Protection Act breaches.

If you are an awkward cuss, you could cost them hundreds of pounds.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Tango, you really need to edit your posts to remove any clues to the identity of the driver.

This part of your original post should be:
    So last week my car was parked on one of these car parks, owned by a local restaurant and policed by Euro Car Parks. The driver entered they correct reg, paid the fee and left the ticket on the windscreen.

Nine days later I received a PCN...

Please review your whole post similarly.

I hope you didn't give away the identity of the driver when you appealed.
  • You're getting too technical. You have a ticket with the correct registration entered.

It is not unduly onerous to undertake manual checks of the small number of cases where the ANPR does not tally with the registrations entered on ticket machines BEFORE requesting information from the DVLA (hence The Deep referring to a potential DPA claim).

If they are going to say that there is no record of your vehicle, then you must require them to produce (in addition to all of the usual chain of contracts) a log of all vehicle registrations to evidence that your vehicle details do not appear. That is not any infringement of personal data because registration numbers are outwardly displayed on vehicles, so there would be no reason not to provide it in support of their case.

Since you have a ticket there is already no financial loss to any party. There is no breach of contract either. The continued pursuit of this is unreasonable.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,345 Forumite
    This is a completely unregulated sector where anything which can trip the motorist up, to provide a PPC with the opportunity to extract £100 from him/her, goes. There’s nothing to say whether a 33mm gap is correct or not, or whether or not it’s a punctuation mark or not - and is somewhat moot (and largely irrelevant in the context of a PPC chasing you for wonga).

You’re overthinking this and the forum isn’t likely to become overly involved in chewing the cud over hypothetical scenarios. It just needs dealing with - as per the NEWBIES FAQ sticky.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Tango, you still need to edit your posts to remove information about who did what. Only ever refer to The Driver and The Keeper. We don't advise this sort of thing for fun. It is very important as parking scammers monitor these fora and have been known to use the information against victims.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Redx
    edited 8 October 2017 at 8:06PM
    as above

it was THE DRIVER that typed in whatever into the machine

you have already been linked to info on typical ticket machines failures

you are definitely overthinking this , as johnersh says

just DEAL with it , dont speculate, its their task to prove their case , if their machines do or dont allow spaces that is THEIR problem

if they failed to do manual checks looking for any close matches , that is THEIR problem

the driver typed in the VRM details in good faith, and there is a written record that can be shown to prove your case for the defence, nothing else matters (so deal with it , dont ruminate over it)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure