Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • louise13!
    • By louise13! 6th Oct 17, 10:15 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    louise13!
    Credit card application before re-mortgaging?
    • 6th Oct 17, 10:15 AM
    Credit card application before re-mortgaging? 6th Oct 17 at 10:15 AM
    Hi,

The fixed term on my mortgage expires in a couple of months and I have an appointment with the mortgage advisor to find a new deal in the next couple of months.

My question is, if I apply for a credit card now will it have any effect on the mortgage offers I receive?

I currently have no debt other than my mortgage and have a good credit score (not sure exactly what but I've never been late with anything or had any other debt), but I need a credit card so I can book a holiday securely. The card would be paid off pretty much straight away, over two months, and I'm looking at getting a 0% on purchases card. Will this be OK or should I wait until I have the new mortgage offer?

Thanks
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 6th Oct 17, 10:23 AM
    • 14,378 Posts
    • 15,160 Thanks
    zx81
    • 6th Oct 17, 10:23 AM
    • 6th Oct 17, 10:23 AM
    You could probably risk it as it's a remortgage.

But if you want to eliminate any risk, then leave it until after. Certainly worth getting one in the long-term, as it's an easy and free way to build and maintain credit history.
    • bengalknights
    • By bengalknights 6th Oct 17, 2:45 PM
    • 4,174 Posts
    • 1,526 Thanks
    bengalknights
    • 6th Oct 17, 2:45 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 2:45 PM
    I would also suggest waiting till after mortgage goes through
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,419Posts Today

4,613Users online

Martin's Twitter