Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 4th Oct 17, 8:52 PM
    • 19,569Posts
    • 31,589Thanks
    Spendless
    MOTs
    • 4th Oct 17, 8:52 PM
    MOTs 4th Oct 17 at 8:52 PM
    Unable to find my current MOT certificate, I discovered an online service that told me it's due date (mid November). I popped into the garage that carried out the MOT last year and asked when the earliest was I could have the MOT done and preserve the Nov date. I was told that this is no longer possible, that if the car failed its MOT I wouldn't be able to drive on it's last years MOT. Is this correct? I work 10 miles from home in the sticks and it would be difficult to be reliant on public transport in the event of a failure on the day. I can't find anything about this change on-line.
Page 1
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 4th Oct 17, 8:54 PM
    • 8,633 Posts
    • 13,158 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 4th Oct 17, 8:54 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 8:54 PM
    Sounds like bollox to me, kwik Fitt?
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 4th Oct 17, 8:59 PM
    • 372 Posts
    • 180 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    • 4th Oct 17, 8:59 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 8:59 PM
    Unable to find my current MOT certificate, I discovered an online service that told me it's due date (mid November). I popped into the garage that carried out the MOT last year and asked when the earliest was I could have the MOT done and preserve the Nov date. I was told that this is no longer possible,I did it last week. that if the car failed its MOT I wouldn't be able to drive on it's last years MOT. Is this correct? Last years will still be valid, however you'd be committing an offence if the defect is not repaired. I work 10 miles from home in the sticks and it would be difficult to be reliant on public transport in the event of a failure on the day. I can't find anything about this change on-line.
    Originally posted by Spendless
    Find another garage.
    • treboeth
    • By treboeth 4th Oct 17, 9:00 PM
    • 863 Posts
    • 938 Thanks
    treboeth
    • 4th Oct 17, 9:00 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 9:00 PM
    Sounds like bollox to me, kwik Fitt?
    Originally posted by worried jim

You missed out the word absolute

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot
    Earliest date you can get an MOT

An MOT lasts for a year. The date it runs out is printed on the last pass certificate.
    You can get an MOT up to a month (minus a day) before it runs out and keep the same renewal date.
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 4th Oct 17, 9:04 PM
    • 578 Posts
    • 217 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 4th Oct 17, 9:04 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 9:04 PM
    Most things in the MOT are about a car being road worthy. Your old MOT would still be valid, but if the garage failed your car because it had a tyre tread depth below 1.6mm - then driving it would be illegal.

• iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 4th Oct 17, 9:05 PM
    • 5,048 Posts
    • 10,290 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    • 4th Oct 17, 9:05 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 9:05 PM
    Isn't that why you are allowed to get it checked early so if any work needs to be done you can take it elsewhere to be done?

If the car can no longer be driven after a fail before the original MOT expiry date then the MOT garage would be the only one who could fix it?
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 4th Oct 17, 9:06 PM
    • 7,640 Posts
    • 7,712 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 4th Oct 17, 9:06 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 9:06 PM
    The correct MOT regs are another of the most overdone things in this forum - was it really so difficult to not find a recent thread explaining everything?
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 4th Oct 17, 9:08 PM
    • 5,048 Posts
    • 10,290 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    • 4th Oct 17, 9:08 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 9:08 PM
    but if the garage failed your car because it had a tyre tread depth below 1.6mm - then driving it would be illegal.
    Originally posted by sevenhills
    What would happen in this situation, would they be able to stop you taking it away if you didn't agree to them changing the tyres?
    Sealed pot challenge ~ 10 #017
    Declutter 2017 items in 2017 - 78/2017

• Spendless
    • By Spendless 4th Oct 17, 9:10 PM
    • 19,569 Posts
    • 31,589 Thanks
    Spendless
    • 4th Oct 17, 9:10 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 9:10 PM
    No, it's not Kwik Fit. It's a small independant that I used to work near and tonight I drove out of my way to go and talk to them, because I've previously trusted and been happy with. It wasn't the owner/boss I spoke to, but it will be tomorrow.
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 4th Oct 17, 9:33 PM
    • 4,500 Posts
    • 3,854 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    What would happen in this situation, would they be able to stop you taking it away if you didn't agree to them changing the tyres?
    Originally posted by iammumtoone
    No, they have absolutely no right to stop you driving away, whether your vehicle is roadworthy or not.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 4th Oct 17, 9:44 PM
    • 1,319 Posts
    • 906 Thanks
    Tarambor
    They have no right to stop you driving away but they have every right to call the police.

At the end of the day it is your duty to ensure that the car is roadworthy and complies to the minimum standards at all times. Whilst there are mitigating circumstances for some faults if found at a roadside check, such as say for things like a split CV boot etc that wouldn't be expected to be noticed during daily/weekly driver checks, once you've a MOT failure notice in your hand you cannot use that as a defence.

If a car is well maintained and repaired as things come along instead of just waiting til the MOT is due it shouldn't be failing MOTs on anything as serious as worn brakes, corroded brake pipes, worn steering or bald tyres.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 4th Oct 17, 10:00 PM
    • 372 Posts
    • 180 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    Originally posted by iammumtoone
    No, they wouldn't.
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 4th Oct 17, 10:46 PM
    • 1,209 Posts
    • 564 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk

Will tell you the mot and tax status of any vehicle
    • paddedjohn
    • By paddedjohn 5th Oct 17, 12:46 AM
    • 7,041 Posts
    • 7,717 Thanks
    paddedjohn
    Not complete bollox at all, this was forwarded to me by an mot inspector mate of mine.

https://www.aph.com/community/holidays/mot-loophole-see-hit-2500-fine-plus-three-penalty-points-even-recent-test-valid/
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 5th Oct 17, 6:40 AM
    • 19,569 Posts
    • 31,589 Thanks
    Spendless
    Not complete bollox at all, this was forwarded to me by an mot inspector mate of mine.

https://www.aph.com/community/holidays/mot-loophole-see-hit-2500-fine-plus-three-penalty-points-even-recent-test-valid/
    Originally posted by paddedjohn
    Ok, thank you. So I haven't been incorrectly informed.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 5th Oct 17, 7:11 AM
    • 2,286 Posts
    • 1,470 Thanks
    Car 54
    Nothing in that article supports what you were told initially. You CAN book your MOT early.

If your car fails its new MOT, the old MOT remains valid. However, that does not mean it's safe to drive.
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 5th Oct 17, 9:05 AM
    • 4,500 Posts
    • 3,854 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll

Originally posted by paddedjohn

Sorry, but regardless of how your mate wants to read it, that article is mostly garbage.

An MOT fail does not mean a car is recorded as 'not road legal'. It is recorded as having failed an MOT. That does not in every case mean the car isn't road legal. There are plenty of fail points that do not make a car inherently illegal or unroadworthy dependent on use.

The situation has always been the same - if your car fails an early MOT because it's unroadworthy, it was unroadworthy before you went in, and is when you leave the test centre.

You could have been pulled over and prosecuted for the offences before the test when your 'old' MOT was valid just as you could after the test whilst your 'old' MOT was valid and your 'new' MOT was failed.

The ONLY thing that's changed is that now the MOT results are recorded on a computer so they're easier to check quickly.
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 5th Oct 17, 9:06 AM
    • 4,500 Posts
    • 3,854 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll

Yes, you have.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 5th Oct 17, 9:38 AM
    • 15,255 Posts
    • 13,592 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Unable to find my current MOT certificate, I discovered an online service that told me it's due date (mid November). I popped into the garage that carried out the MOT last year and asked when the earliest was I could have the MOT done and preserve the Nov date. I was told that this is no longer possible
    Rubbish. It still clearly gives the earliest date to preserve the expiry - a month before the expiry.

that if the car failed its MOT I wouldn't be able to drive on it's last years MOT. Is this correct?
    A bit of yes... and quite a lot of no. If it fails because it's unroadworthy, then it's illegal to drive because of that unroadworthiness. It was illegal to drive because of that unroadworthiness before Mr MOT pointed it out to you, too, and would still have been if it hadn't been taken for the test.

But your old MOT is still valid until the expiry. It's not invalidated by the subsequent fail - but, as the MOT says clearly on it, it's not proof that the car is roadworthy.

You cannot be prosecuted for not having an MOT, but you could be prosecuted for having an unroadworthy car. The fail is irrelevant to that.

I can't find anything about this change on-line.
    There hasn't been a change.
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 5th Oct 17, 9:52 AM
    • 3,924 Posts
    • 3,311 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    This one has been done to death many times on this forum.

In a nutshell, if you put the car in for an MOT Test up to 1 month before the old one expires, and it fails, then your old one is still valid - your car wouldn't ping up on an ANPR camera as having no MOT.

However, your car may be "unroadworthy", and if you happened to be stopped by the police they could prosecute you. If it failed the MOT on a blown brake bulb you'd be unlikely to be fined. If, however, it failed on 2 bald tyres, that would be a different matter.

End of the day, "driving without a valid MOT certificate" and "driving an unroadworthy vehicle" are two totally separate things, and are in no way connected.
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

147Posts Today

1,441Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @furyboy86: @MartinSLewis I read your email, and decided to check my account interest rates. My main account = 0.0%(!) and my cash ISA =?

• Yes. Theyre being paid. They're responsible. Especially for a scam that's been reported over 20 times andseen vulne? https://t.co/Q0pHZ7iH3W

• Quite right.Broken system as the six week delay forces the most vulnerable into debt at a crisis moment https://t.co/951fogq5ej

• Follow Martin