MOTs

Options
Spendless
Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
Unable to find my current MOT certificate, I discovered an online service that told me it's due date (mid November). I popped into the garage that carried out the MOT last year and asked when the earliest was I could have the MOT done and preserve the Nov date. I was told that this is no longer possible, that if the car failed its MOT I wouldn't be able to drive on it's last years MOT. Is this correct? I work 10 miles from home in the sticks and it would be difficult to be reliant on public transport in the event of a failure on the day. I can't find anything about this change on-line.

Comments

• worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sounds like bollox to me, kwik Fitt?
  • Warwick_Hunt
    Warwick_Hunt Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    Options
    Spendless wrote: »
    Unable to find my current MOT certificate, I discovered an online service that told me it's due date (mid November). I popped into the garage that carried out the MOT last year and asked when the earliest was I could have the MOT done and preserve the Nov date. I was told that this is no longer possible,I did it last week. that if the car failed its MOT I wouldn't be able to drive on it's last years MOT. Is this correct? Last years will still be valid, however you'd be committing an offence if the defect is not repaired. I work 10 miles from home in the sticks and it would be difficult to be reliant on public transport in the event of a failure on the day. I can't find anything about this change on-line.

Find another garage.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Sounds like bollox to me, kwik Fitt?

You missed out the word absolute ;)

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot
    Earliest date you can get an MOT

An MOT lasts for a year. The date it runs out is printed on the last pass certificate.
    You can get an MOT up to a month (minus a day) before it runs out and keep the same renewal date.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Most things in the MOT are about a car being road worthy. Your old MOT would still be valid, but if the garage failed your car because it had a tyre tread depth below 1.6mm - then driving it would be illegal.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Isn't that why you are allowed to get it checked early so if any work needs to be done you can take it elsewhere to be done?

If the car can no longer be driven after a fail before the original MOT expiry date then the MOT garage would be the only one who could fix it?
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Options
    The correct MOT regs are another of the most overdone things in this forum - was it really so difficult to not find a recent thread explaining everything?
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    sevenhills wrote: »
    but if the garage failed your car because it had a tyre tread depth below 1.6mm - then driving it would be illegal.

What would happen in this situation, would they be able to stop you taking it away if you didn't agree to them changing the tyres?
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Options
    No, it's not Kwik Fit. It's a small independant that I used to work near and tonight I drove out of my way to go and talk to them, because I've previously trusted and been happy with. :(It wasn't the owner/boss I spoke to, but it will be tomorrow.:mad:
  • BeenThroughItAll
    Options
    What would happen in this situation, would they be able to stop you taking it away if you didn't agree to them changing the tyres?

No, they have absolutely no right to stop you driving away, whether your vehicle is roadworthy or not.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    They have no right to stop you driving away but they have every right to call the police.

At the end of the day it is your duty to ensure that the car is roadworthy and complies to the minimum standards at all times. Whilst there are mitigating circumstances for some faults if found at a roadside check, such as say for things like a split CV boot etc that wouldn't be expected to be noticed during daily/weekly driver checks, once you've a MOT failure notice in your hand you cannot use that as a defence.

If a car is well maintained and repaired as things come along instead of just waiting til the MOT is due it shouldn't be failing MOTs on anything as serious as worn brakes, corroded brake pipes, worn steering or bald tyres.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure