Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jon456
    • By Jon456 4th Oct 17, 10:43 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Jon456
    I Get Paid in US Dollars Via Paypal and the Exchange Rate is not Good
    • 4th Oct 17, 10:43 AM
    I Get Paid in US Dollars Via Paypal and the Exchange Rate is not Good 4th Oct 17 at 10:43 AM
    Hi.

I have been working from home for a US crowdsourcing company that pays me in US dollars via PayPal. I get paid every two weeks (about $350 each time) and send the US dollars from my PayPal account to my English bank account. I lose out because the exchange rate PayPal offers me is not good, I think PayPal makes a lot of profit from this. My estimate is that every time I do a transfer PayPal take a fee of about £10 which is hidden inside the lousy exchange rate compared to the one I see on Google or xe.com.

I have read there is a setting in PayPal where I can specify that my bank (Santander) does the conversion instead, but I have heard that the exchange and fees from using that option is usually just as bad in terms of the deal I would get.

My main question is, surely there is a service based in the US who would accept PayPal US Dollars and would then send GBP to my bank account with a much better rate/fee? If there isn't, then why isn't there?! I thought a simple Google search would provide an easy answer to my question but it didn't seem to.

Thanks for your help
    Last edited by Jon456; 04-10-2017 at 10:48 AM.
Page 1
    • JuicyJesus
    • By JuicyJesus 4th Oct 17, 11:18 AM
    • 3,007 Posts
    • 3,105 Thanks
    JuicyJesus
    • 4th Oct 17, 11:18 AM
    • 4th Oct 17, 11:18 AM
    Whatever rate you get through some other service is very unlikely to be as good as what you see on Xe or Google. Those rates are mid-market rates, you can never actually buy or sell currencies at them, and actual buy or sell rates will differ from these based on the actual organisation doing the exchanging, including PayPal and banks, who do indeed make a profit from this (it is how such a service is kept viable.)

The only option you would realistically have is to send the money in USD to a person located in the US who then sends you on the money via a normal wire transfer or TransferWise, but this also incurs fees and will still incur the exchange rate spread as well as potential intermediary bank charges in the case of a wire transfer. You could always also ask the crowdsourcing company to send money to an FX broker on your behalf for onward remittance to you. Both of these options may not be acceptable to the crowdsourcing company, take longer than PayPal (in the order of working days or up to a week, maybe more if there is some hitch in the process) and have their own dangers.

Personally, I would suck it up and stick with PayPal. The rates PayPal offers are not that bad in the scheme of things and they are also quick and simple relative to other payment methods. The amount of money is so small that an FX broker will not want to know and your actual loss to exchange rate spread is going to be minimal relative to what you'll find elsewhere. They are quite open about the fact they add a 2.5% spread to the wholesale market rate to determine their exchange rate and do not charge any other fees on top of that either.
    Last edited by JuicyJesus; 04-10-2017 at 11:22 AM.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
    • benjus
    • By benjus 4th Oct 17, 11:26 AM
    • 4,988 Posts
    • 3,055 Thanks
    benjus
    • 4th Oct 17, 11:26 AM
    • 4th Oct 17, 11:26 AM
    Have a look at the TransferWise Borderless account: https://transferwise.com/gb/borderless

They should be able to pay you in USD into this account. Then you can decide how and when to convert it to GBP.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 5th Oct 17, 8:42 AM
    • 2,847 Posts
    • 1,237 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 5th Oct 17, 8:42 AM
    • 5th Oct 17, 8:42 AM
    I'm going to assume that the company will only pay you into your Paypal account, in USD. (Otherwise there would be several solutions.)

Have a look at Fineco Bank UK, who offer a multicurrency account. I am not too familiar with Paypal but if you can link a Fineco USD account in your name and manage to withdraw your funds to it in USD without Paypal doing any conversion, you can then convert the USD to GBP within Fineco at a rate very close to the mid-market rate you see on xe.com. You can then send the pounds to your regular UK account for a fee, I think, of 50p, or keep them with Fineco and use their debit card etc.
    • Chapuys
    • By Chapuys 6th Oct 17, 3:36 AM
    • 131 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    Chapuys
    • 6th Oct 17, 3:36 AM
    • 6th Oct 17, 3:36 AM
    Is your Paypal account in USD? If it is then the easiest way is to transfer it to a US account with Transferwise and convert it to GBP there then withdraw to UK bank account. You can also use Revolut. Transfer it from Paypal to Revolut using the USD account details then transfer it to GBP then withdraw it.
    Anything I say in no way constitutes financial advice and anything you do is your own decision.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,817Posts Today

7,319Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin