Long term energy planning.

amtrakuk
amtrakuk Posts: 630 Forumite
Its the time of year where yet again its time to change energy suppliers. I'm on all electric, looking though the options unsurprisingly it will cost more this yet than last year. Looking back year on year my energy costs have rocketed in the last 5 years. Comparing this and last year the "standing charge" has gone up 15p/day or just shy of £5 a month more.and the cheapest I can get the unit price is about 2p more than I was paying before. I'm blown away with this self entitlement of energy companies to just increase prices year after year. I forget who but someone controversial once said we will be paying for these wind turbines for generations to come. It seems they were spot on. Next we will be paying for the "electric car" charging infrastructure that will be forced upon us. Why the rant? Like a lot of people who work (and those who don't), some people haven't had a pay rise in 5 years but the cost of living goes up and up money is hard at the best of times. I've tried LED light bulbs and taking daily meter readings, I suppose they save about 3 units a week, I'm not a fan of the blueish or greenish light they give out anyway. Someone at work said the only way around it is to lock yourself in to a tariff for as long as many years as you can as the chances of a decrease in energy that was once possible has well and truly gone. It is up up up with prices year on year from now on - only a revolution will prevent it. How have you managed to survive the predictable annual rise in energy costs?

Comments

• NineDeuce
    NineDeuce Posts: 997 Forumite
    amtrakuk wrote: »
    Its the time of year where yet again its time to change energy suppliers. I'm on all electric, looking though the options unsurprisingly it will cost more this yet than last year. Looking back year on year my energy costs have rocketed in the last 5 years. Comparing this and last year the "standing charge" has gone up 15p/day or just shy of £5 a month more.and the cheapest I can get the unit price is about 2p more than I was paying before. I'm blown away with this self entitlement of energy companies to just increase prices year after year. I forget who but someone controversial once said we will be paying for these wind turbines for generations to come. It seems they were spot on. Next we will be paying for the "electric car" charging infrastructure that will be forced upon us. Why the rant? Like a lot of people who work (and those who don't), some people haven't had a pay rise in 5 years but the cost of living goes up and up money is hard at the best of times. I've tried LED light bulbs and taking daily meter readings, I suppose they save about 3 units a week, I'm not a fan of the blueish or greenish light they give out anyway. Someone at work said the only way around it is to lock yourself in to a tariff for as long as many years as you can as the chances of a decrease in energy that was once possible has well and truly gone. It is up up up with prices year on year from now on - only a revolution will prevent it. How have you managed to survive the predictable annual rise in energy costs?

Any company is entitled to put up their prices. Why should energy companies be any different?

And while energy companies do make big profits, there is much more to price rises than just the company making profit. Steep electricity price rises have been on the cards for some time now, to pay for the nuclear power plant in Hinkley and the government's (half hearted) commitment to green energy.

We have to start somewhere. Fossil fuels will run out whether you like it or not, so there has to be some form of transition to energy sources which are sustainable.

Add to this the devaluation in pound and you have another reason for price rises.

You seem a bit dismissive of LED light bulbs. The truth is, if every lamp in London alone was LED, there would be no requirement for Hinkley.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure