Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chokolat2
    • By chokolat2 2nd Oct 17, 12:06 PM
    • 401Posts
    • 46Thanks
    chokolat2
    Assessment for PIP date
    • 2nd Oct 17, 12:06 PM
    Assessment for PIP date 2nd Oct 17 at 12:06 PM
    Hello

A relative who is going through the change from DLA to PIP has just received the assessment date to a centre which is over 40 miles away.

Initially on the form we did explain that she even struggles to go out once a week to a local shop so travelling over 40 miles away is impossible.

Just wanted some advice really, can we phone up and ask for a home visit?
    Thanks
Page 1
    • cantcope
    • By cantcope 2nd Oct 17, 12:21 PM
    • 1,662 Posts
    • 1,241 Thanks
    cantcope
    • 2nd Oct 17, 12:21 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 12:21 PM
    you can call up and ask for a home visit or somewhere closer. i was refused a home visit but there was a centre less than a mile away from my home!!! They'd originally set my assessment for a centre almost 30 miles away :s
    my eyes are like mirrors. They reflect whats going on around me rather than whats inside
    Original debt May 06 £16569,25th Feb 08 DEBT FREE

Last bet : 26th October 2006
    • Ames
    • By Ames 2nd Oct 17, 1:36 PM
    • 16,344 Posts
    • 28,619 Thanks
    Ames
    • 2nd Oct 17, 1:36 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 1:36 PM
    From what I've read on here, the computer spits out the first appointment available within a couple of hours travel time. You just have to phone and change it. But the appointment can only be changed once, so make sure the new one definitely suits before agreeing to it.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.

Reading the alphabet in 2017. 21/100
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 2nd Oct 17, 2:23 PM
    • 1,546 Posts
    • 1,369 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 2nd Oct 17, 2:23 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 2:23 PM
    You can ask for a home asssesment yes but you'll more than likely be refused with a letter from your GP stating the reasons why it's needed. Ames is right you can only change the appointment date/time once.
    • chokolat2
    • By chokolat2 2nd Oct 17, 6:16 PM
    • 401 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    chokolat2
    • 2nd Oct 17, 6:16 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 6:16 PM
    You can ask for a home asssesment yes but you'll more than likely be refused with a letter from your GP stating the reasons why it's needed. Ames is right you can only change the appointment date/time once.
    Originally posted by poppy12345

Thank you
    Do you know if you have to request this letter yourself from the GP, then phoning Capita to advise them that this letter exists or do you just inform Capita to contact GP themselves?
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 2nd Oct 17, 6:18 PM
    • 1,482 Posts
    • 1,579 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • 2nd Oct 17, 6:18 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 6:18 PM
    You will need to contact your GP yourself, then enclose it as evidence to support the request for a HV.
    • chokolat2
    • By chokolat2 2nd Oct 17, 6:27 PM
    • 401 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    chokolat2
    • 2nd Oct 17, 6:27 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 6:27 PM
    You will need to contact your GP yourself, then enclose it as evidence to support the request for a HV.
    Originally posted by Alice Holt

Thank you

Shall we wait until we have this letter before phoning Capita to request HV or can we still phone them in the morning to advise that we are waiting for this letter from GP?
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 2nd Oct 17, 7:04 PM
    • 1,546 Posts
    • 1,369 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 2nd Oct 17, 7:04 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 7:04 PM
    Thank you

Shall we wait until we have this letter before phoning Capita to request HV or can we still phone them in the morning to advise that we are waiting for this letter from GP?
    Originally posted by chokolat2
    I would wait until you have the letter before ringing. Remember you can only change that date once.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 3rd Oct 17, 11:18 AM
    • 7,799 Posts
    • 1,798 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    • 3rd Oct 17, 11:18 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 11:18 AM
    I would wait until you have the letter before ringing. Remember you can only change that date once.
    Rather than ringing them - try emailing DCPUALTERNATIVE.FORMATTEAM@DWP.GSI.GOV.UK
    They will arrange for a home visit for you.....
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 3rd Oct 17, 1:58 PM
    • 1,546 Posts
    • 1,369 Thanks
    poppy12345
    Rather than ringing them - try emailing DCPUALTERNATIVE.FORMATTEAM@DWP.GSI.GOV.UK
    They will arrange for a home visit for you.....
    Originally posted by 50Twuncle
    Why would someone want to email the DWP about home assessment for PIP?
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 3rd Oct 17, 2:02 PM
    • 7,799 Posts
    • 1,798 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    Possible reasons include :

Wanting or Needing a home visit for PiP
    What else could it be ?
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 3rd Oct 17, 2:08 PM
    • 1,546 Posts
    • 1,369 Thanks
    poppy12345
    Possible reasons include :

Wanting or Needing a home visit for PiP
    What else could it be ?
    Well for a start you wouldn't ring DWP for a home visit for PIP, you'd ring who ever it is that's doing the assessment. It's got nothing to do with DWP at this stage.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 3rd Oct 17, 2:16 PM
    • 7,799 Posts
    • 1,798 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    That's where you are wrong
    The email address that I supplied offers those who are unable to speak on the phone - a way of kicking off the whole procedure !!
    Ie) starting the claim for pip
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 3rd Oct 17, 2:20 PM
    • 1,546 Posts
    • 1,369 Thanks
    poppy12345
    That's where you are wrong
    The email address that I supplied offers those who are unable to speak on the phone - a way of kicking off the whole procedure !!
    Ie) starting the claim for pip
    Starting a claim for PIP is made by the DWP yes but changing an assessment date or to arrange a home visit is NOT done through DWP.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 3rd Oct 17, 2:24 PM
    • 7,799 Posts
    • 1,798 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    Starting a claim for PIP is made by the DWP yes but changing an assessment date or to arrange a home visit is NOT done through DWP.
    I was told by the "alternative format" section that when I receive the 'invite to apply for PiP" from DWP - to contact them by email to arrange an alternative way of filling in the form (I cannot write) and to arrange a home visit !!
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 3rd Oct 17, 2:31 PM
    • 1,546 Posts
    • 1,369 Thanks
    poppy12345
    I was told by the "alternative format" section that when I receive the 'invite to apply for PiP" from DWP - to contact them by email to arrange an alternative way of filling in the form (I cannot write) and to arrange a home visit !!
    Yes that's when you've been invited to apply which i believe is the PDF version which at the same time you would ask for a home visit! BUT to change a date or to arrange a home visit AFTER those forms have been returned, you wouldn't contact DWP. You would contact who ever is doing the assessment. Once those forms have been returned your file get passed onto the assessment providers. It's then nothing to do with DWP until that file is returned to them!!
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 3rd Oct 17, 6:35 PM
    • 1,482 Posts
    • 1,579 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    Just to underline the points poppy has made.

50Tuncle has completely got the wrong end of the stick, and has given incorrect info to the OP as a consequence.

The DWP email address he provided was to help with the initial claim with the DWP NOT the subsequent assessment which is completed by the assessment providers (such as ATOS or whatever they call themselves now!, Capita, Maximus).

It is the the assessment provider the OP should contact - not the DWP
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 3rd Oct 17, 6:40 PM
    • 1,546 Posts
    • 1,369 Thanks
    poppy12345
    Just to underline the points poppy has made.

50Tuncle has completely got the wrong end of the stick, and has given incorrect info to the OP as a consequence.

The DWP email address he provided was to help with the initial claim with the DWP NOT the subsequent assessment which is completed by the assessment providers (such as ATOS or whatever they call themselves now!, Capita, Maximus).

It is the the assessment provider the OP should contact - not the DWP
    Originally posted by Alice Holt
    Thank you so much Alice for confirming i was right! I'll admit when i'm wrong but this time i just knew i was right!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

208Posts Today

1,126Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin