PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Advice for student house.

lindos90
lindos90 Posts: 3,208 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
edited 2 October 2017 at 11:53AM in House buying, renting & selling
Hi, my son has just moved to Uni to a private rented accommodation which is managed by a lettings agency.

The property was advertised as fully furnished, including a washer and a tumble dryer, and all inclusive of energy bills. They have noticed a few problems, and have contacted the lettings agent for advice, but the agent has failed to reply.

When they moved in the dryer is no longer there. The property is quite damp already so concerned about just putting their washing on the radiators and making the damp worse. Is it expected that they should buy one themselves, or should one be provided as it was advertised/rented on the basis of having one?

They have received a bill saying that there is an unpaid gas bill still overdue and occurring additional admin fees. I have told them to forward the letter to the lettings agent, and that they are not responsible for paying this bill themselves, as all their utilities are included in the rent, and that gas wasnt even used by them. However if the bills remain unpaid, is the gas likely to get cut off?

There are also quite a few other issues which they are not sure what to do about (which must have been known about when an exit viewing was done after the previous the previous tenants left). The security gate will not lock. Some windows are locked, others can not be closed at all. The post box has been forced open and will not shut, let alone lock. All the bins and recycling boxes are full of old unsorted rubbish, which the council state will incur a fine as the rubbish has not been put in the right boxes.

Are these 'simple' issues and repairs that the students are expected to do themselves, or should they be reported to the lettings agent for repairs to be carried out? If they did try and repair themselves, could they then get into trouble for interfering with property they do not own?

I realise that in the grand scheme of things that the issues are not massive, nor are they things I should 'do for them' as it is their time to grow up and do these things themselves. But I also know that there are landlords and letting agents that take advantage of inexperienced students/tenants. Just a few pointers I could pass onto them, to help them sort it out themselves would be really helpful. Thank you x

Comments

• aneary
    aneary Posts: 921 Forumite
    List all the issues and write a letter to the LL (send a copy to the LA) the LL address should be on the tenancy agreement.

Check the inventory and see if the tumble is on the inventory, if there is damp check this is on the check in report and ensure that all the issues are on it otherwise these things could impact getting the deposit back. If there isn't and inventory or a check in report ensure that you have lots of pictures taken of the condition of the house (if they have been moved in for some time it may not be worth it now).
  • Rambosmum
    Rambosmum Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    They are not 'simple repairs' - report them, in writing, to the landlord to the address on the tenancy agreement for the serving of notices (e.g. not through the letting agent unless that's the address).

Has your son signed a checking in inventory? If not, get one written up, take dated photos and send a copy to the letting agent.

If the tenancy agreement states tumble dryer, one should be there.

Edit -anaery beat me too it.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 2 October 2017 at 12:07PM
    lindos90 wrote: »
    Hi, my son has just moved to Uni to a private rented accommodation which is managed by a lettings agency.

The property was advertised as fully furnished, including a washer and a tumble dryer, and all inclusive of energy bills. They have noticed a few problems, and have contacted the lettings agent for advice, but the agent has failed to reply.

When they moved in the dryer is no longer there. The property is quite damp already so concerned about just putting their washing on the radiators and making the damp worse. Is it expected that they should buy one themselves, or should one be provided as it was advertised/rented on the basis of having one? on the one hand if the property was advertised as having a dryer then one should be available, on the other hand does the tenancy agreement expressly state that the LL is responsible for repairs to all white goods? If it does not, then there is no legal requirement for the LL to repair any that have failed, replacement then depends on arguing over what was or was not included on the advert and inventory

They have received a bill saying that there is an unpaid gas bill still overdue and occurring additional admin fees. I have told them to forward the letter to the lettings agent, and that they are not responsible for paying this bill themselves, as all their utilities are included in the rent, and that gas wasnt even used by them. However if the bills remain unpaid, is the gas likely to get cut off? the utility company will take a very long time to reach the point where they disconnect. meantime you are correct in advising that the bill is not the liability of your son if the tenancy agreement clearly states that the LL pays the utility bills. Have you checked the tenancy agreement to see if there is a "fair usage" clause just in case your son goes mad and the bill whilst he is in occupation goes "mental" and the LL chases for "overage"

There are also quite a few other issues which they are not sure what to do about (which must have been known about when an exit viewing was done after the previous the previous tenants left). The security gate will not lock. Some windows are locked, others can not be closed at all. The post box has been forced open and will not shut, let alone lock. these are repairing issues that should have been noted on the inventory your son signed when he moved in so that the condition at the start of his tenancy is recorded. Your son can then of course continue to badger the agency with a list of defects but don't expect a quick responseAll the bins and recycling boxes are full of old unsorted rubbish, which the council state will incur a fine as the rubbish has not been put in the right boxes. yes he is a student but surely you have taught your son that there comes a point where taking personal responsibility for "sorting it out" is the better option rather than trying to blame others and claim "not my fault guv, your problem, i want you to sort it"

Are these 'simple' repairs that the students are expected to do themselves, or should they be reported to the lettings agent for repairs to be carried out? If they did try and repair themselves, could they then get into trouble for interfering with property they do not own?

I realise that in the grand scheme of things that the issues are not massive, nor are they things I should 'do for them' as it is their time to grow up and do these things themselves. apart form the recycling bins none of those are things which the student should try to repair themselves. I doubt they would be able to do it "properly", and thus risk escalating the problem by the LL then claiming they "damaged" the item during attempted repair But I also know that there are landlords and letting agents that take advantage of inexperienced students/tenants. Just a few pointers I could pass onto them, to help them sort it out themselves would be really helpful. Thank you x
    as above

at the end of the day we cannot guess as to the attitude of a LL dealing with students. Yes the LL will of course be experienced in the naivety of students, but whether they exploit that or accept it is impossible to say or advise upon. All you can do is report and see what outcome arises from it
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,874 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    When they moved in the dryer is no longer there. The property is quite damp already so concerned about just putting their washing on the radiators and making the damp worse. Is it expected that they should buy one themselves, or should one be provided as it was advertised/rented on the basis of having one?
    They have received a bill saying that there is an unpaid gas bill still overdue and occurring additional admin fees.

We are in October now, have all these things been reported a month ago?
  • lindos90
    aneary wrote: »
    List all the issues and write a letter to the LL (send a copy to the LA) the LL address should be on the tenancy agreement.

Check the inventory and see if the tumble is on the inventory, if there is damp check this is on the check in report and ensure that all the issues are on it otherwise these things could impact getting the deposit back. If there isn't and inventory or a check in report ensure that you have lots of pictures taken of the condition of the house (if they have been moved in for some time it may not be worth it now).

Thank you for your reply. They have not been given an inventory, all they had was a generic contract from the LA which they signed and returned. They have no details about who their landlord is, the LA manages everything about the tenancy. Yes I have taken photos, just in case there is a deposit issue at the end. My son has written two emails to the LA pointing all the things out, so the issues were documented and so the students could not be blamed for making the problems, one just before he moved in (we went for the day just on a few things when we noticed these things) and one when he moved in as they had not replied to the first email.
  • aneary
    By law the LA have to give you the LL's address if you request it, however I would double check the contract you should have been given a copy just to double check it isn't on there.
  • lindos90
    sevenhills wrote: »
    We are in October now, have all these things been reported a month ago?

Not all Unis start at the beginning of September!

His Uni does not officially start until next week, many students will not be moving in until the weekend coming. We visited the property and he reported all the things before he actually moved in.
  • lindos90
    00ec25 wrote: »
    as above

at the end of the day we cannot guess as to the attitude of a LL dealing with students. Yes the LL will of course be experienced in the naivety of students, but whether they exploit that or accept it is impossible to say or advise upon. All you can do is report and see what outcome arises from it

Thanks for your detailed reply, it is very helpful. Its not just a case of sorting a couple of boxes of glasses and cardboard, which I'm sure my son would have done. Both wheelybins are totally jammed full there is no place to sort it, apart from tipping them out and going through it all, it smells foul too, god knows what it was like over the summer months. This is something I will probably try and do for them, it's not going to be a nice job at all. I will let the students focus on dealing with the official stuff with the LA, they really should not have to accept to pay a fine for it.
  • aneary
    Thanks for your detailed reply, it is very helpful. Its not just a case of sorting a couple of boxes of glasses and cardboard, which I'm sure my son would have done. Both wheelybins are totally jammed full there is no place to sort it, apart from tipping them out and going through it all, it smells foul too, god knows what it was like over the summer months. This is something I will probably try and do for them, it's not going to be a nice job at all. I will let the students focus on dealing with the official stuff with the LA, they really should not have to accept to pay a fine for it.

I would be tempted to notify the council that this was like this when you moved in, they may not have forwarding addresses for the previous tenants but they will have their names due to council tax.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 2 October 2017 at 12:34PM
    aneary wrote: »
    By law the LA have to give you the LL's actual address (not c/o) if [STRIKE]you[/STRIKE]the tenants request it in writing, however I would double check the contract you should have been given a copy just to double check it isn't on there.
    The Tenancy may show a ''c/o" address for serving notices on the LL - eg c/o the agency

See the Landlord & Tenant Act 1985 section 1.

Have they not got a copy of the TA? Request that too.

See also:

* Repairing Obligations: the law, common misconceptions, reporting/enforcing, retaliatory eviction & the new tenant protection (2015)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure