No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries October 2017

Options
Here we go again for another month. As usual this initial post has been shamelessly copied from the many previous months. A big thank you to pinkfluffybabe for starting us off last month.

Welcome all newbies and regulars to this very friendly and chatty thread where we give lots of lovely tips on how to use up your stash and lots of support and encouragement if you need them.

Keep up the pampering and keep down the spending: let’s make the naughty step an empty and lonely place this month (rather than one so long that it can be seen from space)! Will this be the month when the "usual suspects" rein it in a bit? Let's see..... (but I doubt it!)

Remember - those products do nothing for you while they are stashed in drawers, boxes and cupboards!

We are eternally grateful to Katie Clampet who set up this fab challenge in January 2010. Here's her original challenge post:

"No buying any new toiletries, cosmetics, perfume etc... until I have used up ALL the ones I already have. I got a huge amount of (really nice) stuff for Christmas but I am going to resist the urge to browse Boots, Asda, Superdrug etc, and pop another tub of cream, face scrub, shampoo or conditioner into my basket. I reckon the stuff I have will last me until possibly June. I have decided that the money I save I will put into my special holiday account. Anyone else?"

Lots of us have taken part in the challenge over the past few months (and some of us even years!!) and are making great progress in reducing our stashes and unnecessary/excessive spending.

Regulars ignore this, but a quick resume is always helpful for newbies:

Why not add the challenge to your signature as a reminder?

How about taking a bit of time to do a stock-take and see if there are any gaps in your stash that you might need to spend on this month? Some of us set a budget for the month for essential purchases or to help with withdrawal symptoms, others like to go cold-turkey!! Other ideas which some people find useful: Listing everything out so you can cross things off as used to increase the sense of achievement, and putting a sum of money in a pot each time you use up an item to save for something you really want, or simply to assist in making future essential purchases "cash neutral".

Remember the challenge is about making the most of your money, enjoying your products, finding which products really suit you best and are worth buying, giving yourself a well-deserved pampering and breaking the habit of buying for the sake of buying. In money-saving tradition, it should also be about making your products l-a-s-t as long as possible (although the temptation of using an unloved shower gel extravagantly to finish it off is sometimes too much to bear!).

Brand new products (or opened perfume) sell well on eBay.

Unsuitable products can be repurposed and used for other jobs (shower gel/shampoo as handwash etc).

Some items can be returned to certain stores for exchange (for essential items or gifts!!) without a receipt.

Unwanted items can be recycled as gifts or for gift hampers (saving the money you'd have spent on gifts).

Unsuitable items can be donated to charity or a local women's refuge as mentioned earlier

It helps to avoid the places where temptation lurks for you; be it QVC, Boots, Body Shop, email newsletter, the supermarket toiletries aisles, Grabbit board, online toiletries browsing, seductive department store beauty counter offers etc. Remember retailers are making offers and promotions all the time, so there will always be another deal! Honest!

Good luck all for June and indeed the coming months, and remember to keep your stash lists updated, keep popping in for inspiration and support and to report your UU's and IN's, especially any sales bargains - we want a nosy!

Welcome to all newbies - the more the merrier. Please introduce yourselves so we can welcome you properly! Do de-lurk if you are lurking, this is one of the friendliest threads on MSE.

Oh - and anyone thinking "OMG my stash is FAR bigger than all of theirs, I cant possibly join" - believe you me, we have been doing this challenge for well over a year some of us - you wont scare us, and I can almost guarantee that someone somewhere will have had more and survived.... we are very supportive (and protective - so don't be scared!!) oh - and did we mention that are nosy??!!

Useful abbreviations and jargon!

WBA - Will Buy Again
UU - Use Ups
IN - Self explanatory - stuff you've gained into your stash - warning: lines may be given out for unnecessary purchases or you may be sent to the naughty step!
NBI - A non-bought item such as a present, gift with purchase or free sample
WNBA - Will Not Buy Again!
Glitch - when a shop/online store make a pricing mistake so you end up paying less or even get freebies!
PYN(M/T/W/Th/F/Sa/Su) DELETE AS APPROPRIATE! - Paint Your Nails Monday/Tuesday...... it allows everyone to try and finish those dastardly nail varnishes with group support! You can never be too groomed for this thread. Also see PY(T)N... - for toenails!
Splutterer - the stage where an item is nearing the end of it's life and spluttering - also the most annoying and seemingly never ending stage!
GWP - Gift With Purchase - a sample or mini sized item
HG - Holy Grail - this is the product you would go back for time and time again, it does the job brilliantly, and is either economical, or so fantastic price becomes no object!
NPI - Near Purchasing Incident (OMG we all have those!)
LHJ - Long Haul Job - for those products - love 'em or hate 'em - that never seem to end no matter how often you use them
PRCP - Pink Rose Candle Philosophy inspired by Erma Bombeck who said: 'If I had my life to live over again I would have burned the pink candle sculpted like a rose that melted in storage'. Don't keep things 'for best' or 'for a special occasion'. That day never arrives. Give the best to yourself now and enjoy it. (Thanks to McCulloch29 for introducing this thought provoking sentiment to us)
GA - for an out that was given away to charity, as a present, or "just because" rather than binned or UU
TA - for an out that was thrown away due to going off (generally as it has been lurking at the back of a stash since time immemorial) or for any other reason such as a broken container or spillage
PP - Project Pan: a list of specific items targeted to be used up

If anyone can think of any more we can add to the list so newbies won't be intimidated by our jargon!

Graduates

Here is a list of our lovely,fragrant ladies who have polished and pampered their way through their products and managed to get their toiletries stash under control. Ladies - congratulations, you are an inspiration to the rest of us, xx . Thanks also to InaPickle who suggested we start the Graduate list. To join the list of graduates let us know by posting that you are graduating in big colourful letters, that way the OP can easily spot you and add you to the list, or better still - PM the OP as the thread can move really quickly! You may also wish to add how many products you have used up during the challenge. Good luck ladies! xx

1. mineallmine - graduated with honours March
2. Bronnie - graduated with honours March 2011
3. lostinrates - graduated with honours around June 2010
4. Ruby_Eskimo - graduated with honours June 2012
5. Seaside dreamer - graduated with honours October 2012
6. InaPickle - graduated with honours September 2014
7. Fiasco55 - graduated with honours May 2017

Previous threads

In case you need to refer back to a previous stash list or product review, here are links to past challenge threads. Click on the date to take you straight to it:

January 2012
February 2012
March 2012
April 2012
May 2012
June 2012
July 2012
August 2012
September 2012
October 2012
November 2012
December 2012
January 2013
February 2013
March 2013
April 2013
May 2013
June 2013
July 2013
August 2013
September 2013
October 2013
November 2013
December 2013
January 2014
February 2014
March 2014
April 2014
May 2014
June 2014
July 2014
August 2014
September 2014
October 2014
November 2014
December 2014
January 2015
February 2015
March 2015
April 2015
May 2015
June 2015
July 2015
August 2015
September 2015
October 2015
November 2015
December 2015
January 2016
February 2016
March 2016
April 2016
May 2016
June 2016
July 2016
August 2016
September 2016
October 2016
November 2016
December 2016
January 2017
February 2017
March 2017
April 2017
May 2017
June 2017
July 2017
August 2017
September 2017

Comments

• dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 16 October 2017 at 8:59AM
    Options
    Thanks for the new thread sstevo. I'm in.

My October PP list:

Avon Pomegranate and Peony Bubble Bath
    Korres Cedar Shower Gel
    Clinique Superdefense Moisturiser 15ml
    Clinique Superdefense Moisturiser 15ml
    Philosophy Pure Grace EDP 60ml
    Philosophy Pure Grace Whipped Body Cream
    Soap & Glory Righteous Butter
    Beautannia Brighton Body Lotion
    Avon MagiX Concealer

My 5 by Christmas list

Garnier Oil Free BB Cream
    Bobbi Brown Pale Pink Blush - surely this time I can finish it :eek:
    Bare Minerals Brightening Primer
    No7 Stay Perfect Smoothing Eyeshadow
    Benefit Creaseless Cream Eyeshadow in Birthday Suit - I would just like to hit pan on this.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • squiggles
    squiggles Posts: 1,635 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I know this is a no buying thread but I don't know where to put this and lots of posters in this board use this product.

Asda has mitchum deod half price £1.50 200ml spray.
  • MandM90
    MandM90 Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Argh! Posted in Sept thread, just as Oct started!

I think I have a problem and I'm SO glad I've finally got around to facing it.

Every INCH of my house has been kon mari'd and minimalised, and now it's time to face my toiletries!

We have a huge stack of shampoo and conditioner to get through, because the MIL only uses posh stuff so unloaded all the stuff we won't use. The rest is completely my fault...

I have done project 333 with my clothes, and I want to achieve a similar simplicity with my makeup and toiletries. My strategy is to put one of each thing into a basket, so I have my morning 'kit', then as one thing runs out I can go 'shopping' in my reserve stash. I'm going to try and UU small things/half used things first. All reserve stash will be kept in a plastic box under DD's bed or in the bottom of my bedroom cupboard, and I can only dip into it if there isn't an equivalent in my kit or if I run out of something. Here we go...

RESERVE STASH

Me

Aussie miracle shine hair spray
    Aussie take the heat hair spray
    1/2 bottle Keihls oil-in-cream for hair
    2X mini mitchum 48hr deo spray (free samples)
    2X B.Pure miscellar water
    Elemis white brightening even tone cleanser
    Elemis skin bliss capsules
    Sainsburys anti-perspirant
    Macadamia hair therapy oil
    St Tropez gradual in shower tan
    Perfect day sunscreen and lip balm
    Lancaster tan maximising cream - mini
    Elemis papaya skin cream
    Thierry Mugler Angel - unopened
    100ml Elemis pro-collagen marine cream (this cost me about £100 and I haven't used it yet!!!)
    P20 once-a-day sunscreen
    George gel pro pink nail polish
    St Morix tanning mist
    Veet precision wax strips
    Chloe mini perfume roller

Him

3X mini mitchum 48hr deo spray (free samples)
    Lynx anti-perspirant
    Cien men anti-perspirant

Household (shared)

Aussie Repair shampoo and conditioner
    Tresemme expert shampoo X 2
    Tresemme expert conditioner X 1
    Whitening toothpaste X2
    DD's snowman bath bombs
    6 toothbrush heads
    Vanilla frosting Christmas soap
    Antiseptic mouthwash
    Golden jojoba oil

READY TO USE

Small travel bottle of Keihls oi-in-cream for hair
    Nail polish remover
    Senspa bath soak
    Issy Miyake parfum
    Travel sixed Sephora miscellar water (used to remove eye makeup/makeup before cleansing)
    Ole Henrikson face wash, toner and moisturiser
    Sainsburys sensitive deoderant
    St Tropez facial self tan
    St Tropez bronzing mist
    Keihls body cream
    Sephora brush cleaner
    Tarte pearly girl tooth whitener
    Chanel nail polishes X 2 - rouge noir and pink
    Nose pore strips
    Nair argon oil hair removal cream

READY TO USE - HIM
    Keihls facial wash (to take to work)
    Molton Brown recovery balm (work)
    Keihls facial fuel moisturiser (home)
    Lynx deo
    V05 wax clay

READY TO USE - household

Shampoo and conditioner (in shower)
    Leave in Aussie 3 min miracle
    Mini mouthwash
    floss
    Eucryl tooth powder
    2 mini colgate toothpaste samples
    Antiseptic mouthwash

TO TAKE TO WORK (I run at lunch, so I'll keep these things there to use)

Cheapo Lidl Suddenly Glamour perfume
    Living proof perfect hair day dry shampoo
    Mini mitchum 48hr deo

CORE MAKEUP KIT
    Smashbox photo finish pore minimising primer
    MAC nine eyeshadow palette
    Mulberry blotting paper
    Dior plumping lipgloss
    Bobbi Brown eyeliner
    Eyeliner brush
    eyeshadow brush
    blusher brush
    Sephora touch up razor
    eyebrow brush
    MAC prep+prime concealer
    NARS orgasm blusher
    MAC NW20 and NW35 powders (base and contour)
    MAC Spiked eyebrow pencil
    Bobbi Brown smokey eye masacara
    MAC Soar lip pencil
    Chanel pink lip gloss
    Nivea pearly shine balm
    Beaty blender
    pencil sharpener
    NW20 studiofix fluid X2 - one almost empty and don't want to be caught short at work!
    Burberry oxblood lippy

RESERVE MAKEUP

Smashbox photo finish pore minimising primer
    Bobbi Brown nectar brick (blush)
    NARS the multiple - orgasm
    MAC Give me Sun! bronzer
    MAC spiked eyebrow pencil X3
    Maxfactor mascara
    MAC Soar lip pencil
    NW15 studiofix powder
    NW30 pro longwear foundation (little squeezy tube)
    NW30 studiofix fluidX5
    NW20 studiotech foundation compact
    NW20 studiofix fluid X2
    NW10 studiofix fluid X3
    NW15 studiofix fluid (only a wee bit left)

Don't know what to do with
    MAC NW35 studiotech foundation compact - bought in error and unopened
    Sephora false eyelashes and glue - can't get them on!
    Smashbox step by step contour crayon kit - used once. not great for me

MAC empties - need to see if recycling scheme still running and if so, which packaging can be traded for a lippy

2X studiofix powders
    7 empty MAC foundation bottles

If they can all be traded in then I am three empties away from 2 lippies - wooh! I have one on my wishlist (Velvet Teddy) and then I can use t'other as a gift.

Work has been insane lately and I haven't been looking after myself. I hope this thread will give me some motivation to use up my stash and feel a little more glam :)
  • mad_scientist
    Options
    Thanks for the new thread sstevo, I am back in again.

I am still in the process of moving back into my flat but I did convince my dad to go into the attic yesterday and bring my boxes down. There are 2 boxes of toiletries that I haven't seen for 3 years so I'm going to be doing some rummaging tomorrow!

I have been trying out lots of my make up and managed to throw away 2 eyeshadows, small steps in the right direction hahaha!
    No more buying unnecessary toiletries 2018
    35 UU / 13 unnecessary ins
  • sstevo19
    sstevo19 Posts: 1,493 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I haven't got a PP list worked up yet, but I have one UU to report:

Gum SensiVital Toothpaste 15ml WPNBA. It was nice and stop the sensitivity I have, but it was a bit meh.

One product finished already, and I have another that will be finished tonight or tomorrow morning :)
  • Treasurequeen
    Options
    thanks for this months thread sstevo I am in again this month. I will post my PP list later this afternoon.
  • Lizzy22
    Lizzy22 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    I'm back after several months away, new job and a move across the country.

Run up to christmas with all the gift sets out, then the christmas sales is always the worst time for me buying make up etc so hoping logging ins and outs on here with some encouragement will make me hold off buying more this year.

Have already bought one set though (£10 cheaper than RRP for the set then an additional 20% off which justified it of course!) which will arrive this week so ins of:
    Benefit Beauty and the Bay kit:

Hoola Bronzer
    They're real Mascara
    High Brow
    Mini High Beam

Did have my eye on the new Hourglass palette but struggling over how little product you get for the price. Opinions would be most welcome!

Ps. MandM90 the back to mac is still going! Good choice re velvet teddy, love that lipstick.
  • kadison
    kadison Posts: 3,662 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    edited 31 October 2017 at 8:39AM
    Options
    Hello all! Hope you're all well?

I need to start posting on here again, my stash is more in control now with lots of things earmarked for selling on ebay so hopefully a LOT of outs!

I have massively pared down my nail polish collection so far and am going through my other make-up before posting a stash list xx

Look Fantastic Advent Calendar INs
    Bellapierre Banana Setting Powder
    Ciate Fierce Flicks Eye Liner - Black
    Doucce Maxlash Volumizer Mascara - Black
    High Definition Eyeshadow Palette - Foxy
    Illamasqua Lava Lipstick Vixen
    This works In Transit Camera Close-Up 15ml

Balance Me Flash Cleanse Micellar Water 30ml
    Caudalie Vinosource Moisturising Sorbet 15ml
    Crabtree & Evelyn La Source Hand Therapy 25ml
    Dr Botanicals Moroccan Rose Superfood Facial Oil 15ml
    Dr Lipp's Original Nipple Balm 4ml
    Elemis Pro-Collagen Marine Cream 15ml
    First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream 56.7ml
    Grow Gorgeous Scalp Detox 50ml
    James Read H2O Illuminating Tan Mist 30ml
    Korres Wild Rose Sleeping Facial 16ml
    Molton Brown Gingerlily Body Wash 100ml
    Moroccanoil Original Treatment 15ml
    Omorovicza Queen of Hungary Mist Limited Edition 30ml
    OSKIA Renaissance Mask 10ml
    Redken No Blow Dry Airy Cream for Fine Hair 30ml
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries 2023
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend
    Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read - Groucho Marx
  • wondercollie
    wondercollie Posts: 1,591 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm owning up to an In before I buy it.

Lancôme has a great gwp this month. And I need the eyelash primer.

I've admitted it, so I don't feel bad.

Oh, and last month I bought the Tarte palette. Bit Bet Lynch with the leopard print BUT I figure if I put all my random eyeshadows in it, they have a chance of getting used rather than sitting a drawer in their cases.
    It's nicer looking than a z-pallete.
  • pinkfluffybabe
    pinkfluffybabe Posts: 2,986 Forumite
    Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Anniversary First Post
    edited 31 October 2017 at 9:11PM
    Options
    My October PP list is very similar to my September one, many of these seem to be LHJs!

Pai cleanser
    [STRIKE]Sjal toner[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]Trilogy moisturiser[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]Living proof prime[/STRIKE]
    Living proof volume spray
    Chanel Noir perfume
    [STRIKE]Nuxe body oil[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]Keihl's grapefruit hand creme[/STRIKE]
    Laura Mercier body lotion
    Aromatherapy associates bath oil
    [STRIKE]Alpha H eye gel[/STRIKE]
    Burts Bees honey lip balm
    [STRIKE]John Masters conditioner[/STRIKE]
    John Masters scalp shampoo
    John Masters Detangler
    [STRIKE]Nuxe Shower Gel[/STRIKE]

Going to try for no INs this month, I really have enough of everything now :A
    Not buying unnecessary toiletries 2024 14/53 UU, 11 IN
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport