Car Insurance renewal much cheaper than comparison sites!

Hi all

I received my car insurance renewal form Admiral yesterday which was c£1 more than last year.

As always I checked comparison sites to see if it can be beaten and for the first time ever, the renewal price is much better than what I can get from another insurer. Using exactly the same details of course but with better excess terms as well.

Has anyone else experienced this? Seems surreal.

Thanks

Comments

• You are really lucky, car insurance prices have rocketed in the last year. I'm with Admiral and it has gone up over £120 compared to last year. That is with me phoning them up are negotiating hard to lower the ridiculous renewal premium they sent. My reduced price was still a bit more than online comparison sites, but the voluntary excess with Admiral is a lot less, etc. so it kind of evened out.
  • I recently renewed with Hastings and the renewal cost was £7 more than last year. I also checked via 3 price comparison sites (and several insurers directly) and the only quotes that came close were with Hastings. There was no/utterly minimal difference between the best quote from the comparison sites and my renewal quote.
  • I have noted that the renewals with my insurance now exactly match what is on a "new search" on the comparison sites.
    This is certainly an improvement on how devious they appeared to be in the past.
  • Amst
    Amst Posts: 141 Forumite
    Insurance companies can no longer rinse you each year as they are now obliged by the FCA to highlight the previous years premium. Makes it harder for people to look at the price and just go with it if they can see it's a hundred pounds more than previously!
  • This year is my third year with Sheila's Wheels as they have not increased premium much and have been comparable to or cheaper than quotes from comparison sites.
  • Just renewed with DL, renewal was cheaper than a new quote with them. Did have a look at Money Supermarket and confused but no main stream insurers could get near the renewal price.
  • DavidH72
    DavidH72 Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    My renewal quote went up a lot - so I went to a comparison site and found the same insurer offering me a slightly better policy (lower excess) for near-enough the same price as last year...
    The lesson is, assume nothing makes any logical sense when it comes to insurance quotes!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure