Have your say on rent as evidence that people can meet mortgage repayments

Options
UKParliament
UKParliament Posts: 749 Organisation Representative
First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Combo Breaker
Do you think lenders should use rent payments as evidence that people can meet mortgage repayments?

MPs want to hear your views on a petition calling for paying rent to be enough proof that people are able to meet mortgage repayments. The petition reads:

“Make paying rent enough proof that you are able meet mortgage repayments

Since living on my own I have paid £70,000+ in rent on time yet still struggle to get a mortgage. Unless you’re getting handouts, wealthy or in receipt of inheritance it's almost impossible. I want paying rent on time to be recognized as evidence that mortgage re-payments can be met.”

In particular, the Petitions Committee want to hear your views on:
  • Do you agree with the petition? Why/ why not?
  • What other things do you think mortgage lenders should take into account when assessing eligibility?
  • How much do you think the UK Government and Parliament should interfere with the eligibility criteria mortgage lenders use? Is this a decision that should be made by banks and building societies? Or should the Government and Parliament play a role?

Contributions posted on this thread before 18 October will be summarised and shared with MPs taking part in a debate on this petition.

Watch the debate from 4.30pm on Monday 23 October 2017 on Parliament TV.

logo-main.png
Official Organisation Representative
I’m the official organisation rep for the House of Commons. I do not work for or represent the government. I am politically impartial and cannot comment on government policy. Find out more in DOT's Mission Statement.

MSE has given permission for me to post letting you know about relevant and useful info. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. If you believe I've broken the Forum Rules please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. This does NOT imply any form of approval of my organisation by MSE

Comments

• harshitguptaiitr
    Options
    1 - The credit application system is designed to be anti-shop around. Someone looking for credit (mortgage, loan, credit card) won't know for sure if they will get it or not unless they apply for it, which leaves a mark on their credit file and affect their chances of getting the credit elsewhere. MSE has credit club which gives a guideline but the outcome is not 100% guaranteed.

2 - Paying rent every month on time is not reported to credit reference agencies and hence not added onto credit file or credit score. All letting agents and landlords should have a system of reporting rent payments to Experian. This will make sure lenders are able to use the rent payment as an input towards making decision on granting credit or not.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,764 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Letting agents have far too much power over tenants as it is.

They can determine how much of a deposit is returned and what 'damage' they feel warrants retention.

I would not, on any planet ever, want letting agents to be able to influence a tenant being able to get any kind of credit; the kind of influence they would have if they were permitted to feed data to CRAs.

Some lenders do ask applicants for evidence of rent payments.

Paying rent or indeed paying an existing mortgage is very much an expectation of a lender, rather than a positive/negative and isn't something which does (or should IMHO) trump someone's overall financial/credit history.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The mortgage affordability rules have gone too far and mortgage lenders are being too discriminatory, not because they don't want to lend money and risk the borrower defaulting, but because they don't want to fall foul of regulatory tickbox rules.
    So yes, I think some kind of official system is needed to record and provide the rental payment information to mortgage lenders and the regulators should allow lenders to take this into account.
    This could simply be a form that landlords/rental agents are required to provide, on request, for a nominal sum, that gives details of past rental payments made on time.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,727 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    The mortgage affordability checks lenders do are based on a certain rate, they are not based on the rent you pay at the minute. I do regularly hear people say I pay £x in rent, I can afford a Mortgage. That may be true whilst rates are at rock bottom but that is not what lenders are checking affordability against. Typically they are assessing the applicants against rates of closer to 10%.

I have never had anyone declined because they pay rent and can not evidence it on a credit report (as far as I am aware). If an underwriter is overly concerned, then they could ask for bank statements to evidence the payments. Barclays and Pepper tend to do this on most cases as standard, I am sure there are others but those 2 spring to mind.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The Government's response here is in line with the focus of post 2008 regulation. Cannot see this going anywhere. As KS says, paying your rent in full and on time is a minimum. A property owner has potential higher costs and risk than a renter which is reflected in current affordability calculations.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • wantonnoodle
    Options
    When we bought our house last year, our lender wanted to see bank statements showing evidence of our rental payments being made consistently on time. So, some lenders are already reviewing the ability to pay rent.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Landlords(AST,lodgers house shares etc) having to report rent payments to another organisation.

How many forget to let HMRC know.
  • tom9980
    tom9980 Posts: 1,990 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Why when a bank simply should ask for 12 months statements and a copy of the tenancy agreement. This will show how much rent is due and the statements can confirm it has been paid on time.

Governments creating more red tape and admin is not something anyone should welcome.
    When using the housing forum please use the sticky threads for valuable information.
  • Lysimache
    Lysimache Posts: 192 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've helped Parliament
    edited 26 September 2017 at 11:14PM
    Options
    It would be useful for Parliament to review how typical mortgage providers assess different types of income. One person earning £50k regularly may be viewed differently to another person earning £50k regularly from other sources - and the income multiplier used by banks may offer those two people very different sizes of mortgages.

This can often feel very unfair to people taking out a mortgage, especially if they have reliable incomes but the unusualness of their income forces them to go to smaller mortgage companies or providers with higher rates.

For example, junior doctors often find their out of hours income - even though the out of hours work is regular, predictable and expected, and compulsory - is not counted 100% as income because many mortgage firms do not view it the same as 'basic income'.

This means many can only access mortgages via brokers or have a smaller choice of lenders, increasing costs. It can come as a shock to them that their income is viewed as iffy.
  • Lysimache
    Options
    Another problem is some people may have stable jobs but work on 6-monthly contracts at a time. The full extent of these people's income can again be ignored by some mortgage providers but not others when calculating the max mortgage value to lend on. More consistency and more openness in how income is calculated and viewed by different providers when they do their affordability calculations would help open up more of the market to such people.

'Computer says no' due to odd rules on what counts as full income or doesn't is very frustrating.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure