ID Verification

Options
I tried to open a VM Reg saver 7 last week, and to my surprise, I was asked to submit certified copies to confirm my id. Now, I already have several accounts with VM and I can't recall ever, being asked to send any hard copies when opening any of my previous savings accounts/investments with any organisation.

When I rang in to speak TO VM, they told me that the electronic checks they made have failed and Experian require additional data but VM don't know what or more to the point, they can't tell me!! All this makes me very suspicious - I am wondering if it's anything to do with brexit or this new Open Banking app which apparently comes out in Jan 2018.

Has anyone else experienced this request for additional ID's recently?
Before doing something... do nothing

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,485 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    When I rang in to speak TO VM, they told me that the electronic checks they made have failed and Experian require additional data

Experian have no requirement there. They may use Experian's money laundering ID check service but its up to firms to interpret the outcome of that check. Experian dont give two hoots. What the person is really saying is that you failed to pass VM's criteria using the electronic ID check and they are reverting to the old ID method of actual documents.
    I am wondering if it's anything to do with brexit or this new Open Banking app which apparently comes out in Jan 2018.

Brexit has absolutely nothing to do with it. There is a major change coming in 2018 under MiFID II (an EU directive) which the UK is following to the letter. However, ID checks are not part of that.

Firms are required to carry out ID checks. ID check requirements have changed in recent years. So, maybe what you had before was fine then but not now. Maybe you have moved address from when they last ran a proper check and they only have stuff on file from before then. Maybe you passed old electronic checks but something on your file is causing a failure now.

yes they have. happens all the time someone fails the electronic check.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • lindabea
    lindabea Posts: 1,477 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    What the person is really saying is that you failed to pass VM's criteria using the electronic ID check and they are reverting to the old ID method of actual documents.

Thanks for your reply. This is exactly what concerns me. How is it that I have passed VM electronic checks criteria in the past (on several occasions) and also other banks, previous successful check with VM was 2 months ago, and yet, all of a sudden, their checks fail. The man at VM didn't know why it failed - apparently, the system doesn't tell them.

I haven't moved - been living at current address for last 11 years, I'm on the electoral register. As far as I know, my data has not changed. However, that said, could it be that some database at Experian may have got corrupt or someone tried to use my name and now it's being flagged up on some fraud database. What really worries me in situations like this, is that i am not being told what is wrong. I feel something has gone wrong, and I'm being excluded from knowing.
  • frenchplonka
    Options
    if your worried about what info they have when running a check just get a copy of your credit report see if anything has changed

it really isnt that big a deal
    Sealed Pot Challenge 10 - #571
  • frenchplonka
    Options
    Also VM dont have to explain why u failed or what information they hold that caused you to fail
    Sealed Pot Challenge 10 - #571
  • lindabea
    lindabea Posts: 1,477 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Also VM dont have to explain why u failed or what information they hold that caused you to fail

I thought the Data Protection Act gives me the right for their data to be disclosed to me
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    edited 22 September 2017 at 6:32PM
    Options
    lindabea wrote: »
    I thought the Data Protection Act gives me the right for their data to be disclosed to me
    It does, so you can make a standard subject access request to Virgin Money to ask them to let you know what personal data they hold about you. They can charge you up to £10 for that. You could also ask Experian for a copy of your credit report, and they can charge you up to £2 for a paper copy in the post.

However, asking them what pieces of personal data they hold for you does not change the fact that they don't consider your identity to have been fully "verified" in line with their current processes and procedures. After requesting your personal data from them under a subject access request, simply receiving back the personal data from them under your data protection act request does not tell you their thought process or business rationale for seeking some identity documents in your particular circumstances. The "data" you would get back would not include a detailed analysis of their business methods and thought processes and risk models and rationales for dealing with certain customer circumstances, because those things are *their* personal information about how they operate their business. A big file of confidential business operational procedures and strategic planning documents and departmental manuals is not "your data".

So, where you are now is that they haven't completed their customer identity process (which their compliance department requires them to do, under procedures and frameworks they established in reaction to UK financial regulations). You know what documents they would like to receive from you to complete that process. So, the next step for you is clear: send them the information which will help to confirm your identity, and then it's done.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,485 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. This is exactly what concerns me. How is it that I have passed VM electronic checks criteria in the past (on several occasions) and also other banks, previous successful check with VM was 2 months ago, and yet, all of a sudden, their checks fail. The man at VM didn't know why it failed - apparently, the system doesn't tell them.

I have used the Experian one in the past. it gives very little data. Effectively, it is a scoring system and firms can decide the pass score. Usually that means there are different pass levels. For example, a score below a certain level could be an automatic referral to their money laundering department. A slightly higher score may just be insufficient or contradicting information. A score higher up but not a full pass may need supplementary extra info.

it does. However, as VM dont have that data, they cannot give it to you. The same act prevents that data being passed to VM. VM just get the score and a few codes. Not the actual data that results in that score.
    I haven't moved - been living at current address for last 11 years, I'm on the electoral register. As far as I know, my data has not changed. However, that said, could it be that some database at Experian may have got corrupt or someone tried to use my name and now it's being flagged up on some fraud database. What really worries me in situations like this, is that i am not being told what is wrong. I feel something has gone wrong, and I'm being excluded from knowing.

You are not excluded from knowing. You can sign up for an experian report and see if there is incorrect data.

I had a few Experian failures in my time using them and there is a good reason we dont use them any more. When you did get a failure that suggested a data error, we would ring Experian who would say we cant tell you. So, we would ask the client to ring. They would speak to Experian who would tell them there was nothing wrong with the data and when they run the same enquiry it passed. They would pass the blame back to us for not doing it properly. I always suspected they cleaned the fault and didnt admit there was an issue.

Where someone fails who may have passed in years before, it could solely be down to data dropping off and nothing more up-to-date being held. They can only retain data that is current for 6 years. So, applications made 7 years ago would no longer be on there. If you have gone a long period without credit agreements, there may not be much on the file any more. It may be that VM didnt use Experian previously and their old method passed you but the new one doesnt.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Vortigern
    Vortigern Posts: 3,245 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    lindabea wrote: »
    Last time I failed an automatic check, it was because I'd mistyped my date of birth. That's what the bank (not Virgin) told me. Once I'd confirmed the correct date, they amended the application for me.

Could you have mis-typed something?
  • LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 4,249 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I know 1st Direct suddenly came up for air a year or so ago and needed additional ID for my OH - for a current account that has been open and in use for over 20 years. Not sure what they thought I'd done with him ..... :o
  • ctdctd
    ctdctd Posts: 1,080 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 12 October 2017 at 3:17PM
    Options
    I've just failed an Equifax ID Verification when applying for an account with the Chorley B/S.

They told me it said date of birth mismatch.
    This is despite passing the same check in April with the same B/S and having an existing account.
    I have not moved in 20+ years and, as far as I know, have not changed my date of birth!

Tried phoning Equifax - all they could suggest was starting their 30 day trial, running a credit report, and checking for errors.
    I have a credit report from a previous trial a couple of years ago and all my details are fine.
    Before they would speak to me, I had to confirm my date of birth which was correct!!!

Equifax online let me start another trial so I've run a new credit report - my DoB and all other info is fine - I can even see that Chorley have run two ID checks!

Binned the savings application - not worth the hassle!
    Do Money Saving sites make you buy more bargains - and spend more money?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure