Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • torturerforfun
    • By torturerforfun 14th Sep 17, 8:42 PM
    • 57Posts
    • 25Thanks
    torturerforfun
    Getting my deposit back!
    • 14th Sep 17, 8:42 PM
    Getting my deposit back! 14th Sep 17 at 8:42 PM
    Hi All, just after a bit of advice please.

A month or two back we paid a deposit to a pub/restaurant for my sons 21st in October. We have 32 people confirmed to come and celebrate with us which the manager informed us that we would have to pre order our choices, she had promised to email the menu across

Now our issue is, after promising to send the menu it didn't arrive, we have since phoned her on no less than six separate occasions with her promising to send it across to us, the latest promised deadline passed yesterday. As it is such a special birthday and the fact we have to try and get 32 different menu choices, we feel due to her inability to do such a minor task, it doesn't fill us with great hope for how the evening will go.

So the simply question is are we well within our rights to go and request the deposit back (which she may just give us with no problems) and what could I say to enforce my claim if she refuses?

Thank you in advance for any help you may give 👍🏼
Page 1
    • Marktheshark
    • By Marktheshark 14th Sep 17, 8:43 PM
    • 5,599 Posts
    • 7,032 Thanks
    Marktheshark
    • 14th Sep 17, 8:43 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 8:43 PM
    Visit and do this face to face.
    Brexit will become whatever they invent it to be.
    • torturerforfun
    • By torturerforfun 14th Sep 17, 8:46 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    torturerforfun
    • 14th Sep 17, 8:46 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 8:46 PM
    Visit and do this face to face.
    Originally posted by Marktheshark
    That's the plan! But if she point blank refuses I want to know what my rights are? 😊
    • Marktheshark
    • By Marktheshark 14th Sep 17, 8:48 PM
    • 5,599 Posts
    • 7,032 Thanks
    Marktheshark
    • 14th Sep 17, 8:48 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 8:48 PM
    Your rights are, you inform them they have frustrated the contract and demand the deposit is returned in full or you will issue a small claims case.
    Brexit will become whatever they invent it to be.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 14th Sep 17, 11:16 PM
    • 2,753 Posts
    • 6,147 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    • 14th Sep 17, 11:16 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 11:16 PM
    I presume you've checked that she has the right email address?
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - the Argos Card!
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 15th Sep 17, 6:43 AM
    • 3,159 Posts
    • 5,451 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    • 15th Sep 17, 6:43 AM
    • 15th Sep 17, 6:43 AM
    I presume you've checked that she has the right email address?
    Originally posted by gettingtheresometime
    And your junk/spam folder?

Depending on the restaurant most have their menu available online these days, some just to browse and others you can download the PDF which would most likely be the format it would be emailed to you.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 15th Sep 17, 9:18 AM
    • 18,426 Posts
    • 14,141 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 15th Sep 17, 9:18 AM
    • 15th Sep 17, 9:18 AM
    Depending on the restaurant most have their menu available online these days, some just to browse and others you can download the PDF which would most likely be the format it would be emailed to you.
    Originally posted by Fosterdog
    Although for 32 people the chances are that the pub will offer a restricted choice menu.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 15th Sep 17, 9:24 AM
    • 10,014 Posts
    • 7,000 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 15th Sep 17, 9:24 AM
    • 15th Sep 17, 9:24 AM
    Does the pub not have a web presence or Facebook page?

Surely a quick visit to the pub, preferably when it's not too busy would resolve this.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

117Posts Today

1,173Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin