Travel insurance claim

Options
Having returned from holiday I need to make a claim for a piece of jewellery lost. Looking at the insurance I took out, it states that you should report it to the Police. I have not done that as there was no police station where we stayed. I have however notified the agents of the property where we stayed. Also, as it was a gift, there may no longer be a receipt.
Can insurance claims really be turned down if this is not followed. There was no police station. I have returned to the place where I thought it was lost. Not everyone keeps receipts or statements anymore.
You take out insurance, but then find you have to prove so many things just to claim, it makes you wonder why you bother.
MSE what are your thoughts?

Comments

• foxtrotoscar_2
    Options
    Photographic evidence. Either of the piece itself or of you wearing it.
  • Hermione_Granger
    Options
    Photographic evidence. Either of the piece itself or of you wearing it.
    If my son lost one of his watches and it was covered by travel insurance, should he claim the €35 it cost him in Spain or should it be for the one on the left that costs around £5k?
    Rolex-vs-Replica.jpg

The problem is a photograph without some sort of receipt leaves the system open to abuse especially if you are talking about jewellery & watches, things that could be worth pennies or £ thousands.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    That can't be the reason for the second thread as this one was started at 6pm and the first answer on the other thread wasn't given until 6.27.

It's probably that the OP was either very impatient for answers or couldn't find their original post so reposted.
  • shaz0016
    Options
    Just to get things straight, I did not realise my first post had worked, which is why it is posted twice. I appreciate the responses already made though, whatever your comment. To be honest, it is not until I have seen the replies that I can appreciate why the insurance company need it reported and a receipt. I work on honesty and would not think to make a fraudulent claim, which is why I was questioning why they would need all of this evidence when I have nothing to hide. Call me old fashioned. In future, I will make sure I read the policy terms before I go away to avoid this, but hope there will not be a next time.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    How long ago did you purchase the item and do you still have reasonable access to the retailer concerned?
    If it wasn't too long ago and you can remember the rough date of purchase, there is a slight possibility that a replacement receipt can be provided.

If it was an online purchase, would you still have any of the e-mails? (order or shipping invoice for example)?
  • glentoran99
    Options
    How long ago did you purchase the item and do you still have reasonable access to the retailer concerned?
    If it wasn't too long ago and you can remember the rough date of purchase, there is a slight possibility that a replacement receipt can be provided.

If it was an online purchase, would you still have any of the e-mails? (order or shipping invoice for example)?

its not going to make any difference surely, it wasn't reported to the police
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    its not going to make any difference surely, it wasn't reported to the police
    You are probably right but if the OP can get a receipt and show that the loss was reported to the owners of the property and that there wasn't a police station local to where they were, it's possible that the insurers would pay out if the value of the item concerned wasn't too high.

I know it's unlikely but apart from the cost of a few phone calls, there's no harm in trying especially if the OP has been a customer of the insurance company for a few years.
  • WAYT
    WAYT Posts: 694 Forumite
    Options
    You are probably right but if the OP can get a receipt and show that the loss was reported to the owners of the property and that there wasn't a police station local to where they were, it's possible that the insurers would pay out if the value of the item concerned wasn't too high.

I know it's unlikely but apart from the cost of a few phone calls, there's no harm in trying especially if the OP has been a customer of the insurance company for a few years.

We don't even know if the policy has cover for valuables. Even if so, for how much? How much the excess?
    In addition, even if reported, there would be amounts removed for age/wear and tear and a further amount removed for no receipt...
    Then there is the fact that there is no police report to back up any claim.
    Check that your insurance is appropriate to your needs before purchase. Don't just purchase the cheapest and ignore the policy wording.

It's almost amusing that the OP assumes that the whole thing is predicated on trust. That is patently ridiculous. :)
    Insurance fraud is big business.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport