Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Itllbefine
    • By Itllbefine 14th Sep 17, 5:30 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Itllbefine
    Septic Tank & Public Liability Insurance
    • 14th Sep 17, 5:30 PM
    Septic Tank & Public Liability Insurance 14th Sep 17 at 5:30 PM
    Warning - not to be read when eating lunch!
    I share a private sewage system and septic tank with a handful of neighbours. We have no shared or communal land so the septic tank is on one of these neighbour's land. The owner of that land is concerned that if someone falls in the septic tank, that he could be sued. We have an informal Resident's Association, with a bank account, chairperson, secretary, etc and we meet periodically. Does anyone know if this informal kind of Resident's Association can take out public liability insurance? The other neighbours feel that the only way forward is to form a company. I would rather not form a company. Any thoughts appreciated.
Page 1
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 14th Sep 17, 6:19 PM
    • 26,030 Posts
    • 10,377 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 14th Sep 17, 6:19 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 6:19 PM
    Wont it already be covered on the insurance of whoever owns the land the tank is situated on?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Blibble
    • By Blibble 14th Sep 17, 7:25 PM
    • 226 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    Blibble
    • 14th Sep 17, 7:25 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 7:25 PM
    Wont it already be covered on the insurance of whoever owns the land the tank is situated on?
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    Likely yes, but would it not be better if OP could get insurance between the residents to stop any potential loading to premiums for the septic tank holder?

FWIW, I haven't the foggiest if you could take out insurance as an informal residents' association - have you queried this whether any insurers or contacted a local broker to discuss?
    • rs65
    • By rs65 14th Sep 17, 7:33 PM
    • 5,270 Posts
    • 2,499 Thanks
    rs65
    • 14th Sep 17, 7:33 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 7:33 PM
    Does anyone know if this informal kind of Resident's Association can take out public liability insurance? The other neighbours feel that the only way forward is to form a company. I would rather not form a company.
    Originally posted by Itllbefine
    You could take out public liability, and probably D&O (management liability) insurance too. Just google residents association insurance.

Whether you need/want to incorporate is a separate issue.
    • Clifford_Pope
    • By Clifford_Pope 16th Sep 17, 9:39 AM
    • 3,382 Posts
    • 3,468 Thanks
    Clifford_Pope
    • 16th Sep 17, 9:39 AM
    • 16th Sep 17, 9:39 AM
    Isn't it covered over? Surely it has a closable lid for access/emptying? Can't the lid have a padlock?
    If only an authorised septic tank company can access it then they would have insurance for their employees?
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 16th Sep 17, 4:39 PM
    • 26,030 Posts
    • 10,377 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 16th Sep 17, 4:39 PM
    • 16th Sep 17, 4:39 PM
    Residents could have an agreement to contribute a couple of £ a year to the property owner or an agreement to pay any additional costs arising from a claim.

As mentioned above if it has a properly secured lid and its in good condition and not weakening through age. Ensure the lid is locked and any risk of a claim will be very small.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

189Posts Today

1,411Users online

Martin's Twitter