Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • User1312
    • By User1312 14th Sep 17, 1:42 PM
    • 86Posts
    • 18Thanks
    User1312
    Can someone help me with my energy questions after moving house!?
    • 14th Sep 17, 1:42 PM
    Can someone help me with my energy questions after moving house!? 14th Sep 17 at 1:42 PM
    There is a smart meter recently installed in the house we've just got the keys to. I've found out who the supplier is (Spark Energy), so I asked them to switch the account into my name on a standard tariff and I'll look into changing suppliers once we've actually moved in.

When I spoke to Spark they said "your account is on a top-up meter so we'll clear any debt and start you from £0". I've only ever had a credit meter, billed monthly, so I've asked to change to that and they've had to put the request in with another dept and said it could be a couple of weeks before I get an answer back.

My questions are:

1. It seems like some companies charge from switching from a top up meter to a credit one, but I couldn't find any info which explains if this is different because of the smart meter? Is it just a case of changing the account information, or will an engineer have to come out to switch us over?

2. I've also never had a smart meter before, so when I change suppliers is there an option to go back to 'normal' meters if the new supplier doesn't support smart? or am I limited in my choice of supplier because they installed the smart meter?

3. My current supplier (Sainsburys) at the flat is until 30th Nov, that means I can't switch without incurring a cost until 12th October. Is it possible to ask them to take over the supply at my new house from Spark (once they've changed me to a credit meter), and I can still switch from 12 Oct? Or will moving it to a new address mean I start a new contract? I don't think there's much point paying the exit fee for the sake of a couple of weeks.

Sorry for all q's, thanks! (I did post this on the Energy forum too but not sure who sees what!)
Page 1
    • rtho782
    • By rtho782 14th Sep 17, 4:00 PM
    • 1,015 Posts
    • 727 Thanks
    rtho782
    • 14th Sep 17, 4:00 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 4:00 PM
    1. Smart meters can be changed to credit remotely at the press of a button. I would get the current supplier to do this before you switch (even if you don't tell them you're planning on switching)

2. You don't need them changed, you can move to any supplier, you will just lose smart functionality and they will work as "dumb" meters.

3. Yes you can move your sainsburys tarriff to your new home, I did this with british gas last year (same company).
    Deposit Saved since 01/12/15: £13,000 / £15,000 House Bought!

Debt Cleared since 01/12/15: £6,000 / £7,500
    • User1312
    • By User1312 15th Sep 17, 9:24 AM
    • 86 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    User1312
    • 15th Sep 17, 9:24 AM
    • 15th Sep 17, 9:24 AM
    Thank you so much. So I'll put the current supplier account into my name, switch to a credit meter, then move Sainsburys tariff to new home.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,432Posts Today

7,876Users online

Martin's Twitter