Sliding doors to hard to push open - I think I was missold

Options
We ordered some expensive patio doors close to five meters wide. One fixed, one sliding.

When we went to the showroom all the doors opened easily as they were all the lift and slide version.

We took our youngest son, who is the size of an average 11 year old, and he could open the doors and all doors were easy to open.

This was a key factor in door selection that he should be able to open the doors.

Our doors came and look gorgeous, but they are too heavy to move without a lot of effort.

The installers said they will be fine after bedding in. I have rung 6 other installers and they all say this is nonsense, lift and slide doors don't need bedding in.

The installers are saying that the problem is mine as I chose the lower spec doors.

At no time, did i say I want doors that I can't open easily. At no time, did I say I want a fire hazard as in an emergency no one old or young can open those doors. At no time did I say that I wanted doors that will in the long term cause me physical injuries...I am getting older not younger!

I owe them 20% of installation cost still. I hate these doors with a passion now as they are so dangerous.

What should I do?

Comments

• gettingtheresometime
    Options
    Well you still have to pay the 20% of the costs.

Personally I would go back to the showroom & ask them their advice as to how to remedy the situation, whilst remembering you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.
  • marliepanda
    Options
    Well, did you choose lower spec doors? Did you ask what the difference was that made them lower spec (and I assume, cheaper)

If you didn't pick the same doors as the ones you tried, not really sure how that is their fault?
  • Thanks Marlie. I had no idea that the lower spec doors would be impossible to open. We tried both the higher and lower spec doors and there was no problem in opening either at the showroom.
    The owner only started to say that we picked the lower spec doors after the installation, once we couldn't open them easily. To me it sounds like they are saying, well that's what you should expect from us if you go for the lower spec, a door that is impossible to open or close.
    Does it make it right that you agree to a lower spec but they do not function as a lift and slide door should?
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    as you tried the lower spec door and it opened no problembs in the showroom,go back to the showroom and demand that they repair the installation on your doors to match the showroom doors,if they will not ask how anyone can exit your house in event of a fire and put it on social media.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • Laz123
    Laz123 Posts: 1,742 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well, did you choose lower spec doors? Did you ask what the difference was that made them lower spec (and I assume, cheaper)

If you didn't pick the same doors as the ones you tried, not really sure how that is their fault?

Why would a company sell doors that can't but opened purely because they're of a lower spec? That's nonsense.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Did you try the same size doors in the showroom? Could it be the size of your doors that is making them difficult to open due to extra weight?
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • Shaka_Zulu
    Shaka_Zulu Posts: 1,689 Forumite
    Options
    Who makes the doors? Speak to the manufacturer for advice on force required etc?
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Tried a bit of candle wax on the runners?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • nyermen
    nyermen Posts: 1,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Sounds to me like in any case, the installed doors aren't usable under normal use - so I'd be looking at whichever law defines "fit for purpose"?

(Please one of the experts come and confirm there isn't some point that means its not applicable?)
    Peter

Debt free - finally finished paying off £20k + Interest.
  • Thanks so much for advice.....

peacyprice...I tried the same doors but a bit smaller, BUT was assured that at the size I wanted, they would run the same.

Shakazulu...I have now contacted the manufacturer and they will be coming out in November to confirm if the doors are operating correctly.

Macman...don't want to try anything yet as they should have told me if I need to "grease" the tracks

Nyerman - I spoke to my home insurance provider as have free legal cover, and they also said that the not fit for purpose was the best route to pursue if necessary....though, I have nothing in writing to say that the installer said they would work easily, so it would be my word against his. I am however gathering evidence from other installers and the manufacturer has a showroom that I plan to visit to confirm if the doors would operate smoothly at the size I ordered.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure