Cancelling car insurance inside 14 days

Moxey
Moxey Posts: 19 Forumite
edited 11 September 2017 at 1:47PM in Insurance & life assurance
Hi All

I took out car insurance with Aviva on the 31st of September and paid in full. Since then I've had an offer to sell the car and thought "actually go on then" so rang up to this morning cancel the policy as of Wednesday - 10 days after the policy start date.
The bloke I spoke to at Aviva said that I would be charged a pro-rata for the time I used the car (fine by me) and a £38 cancellation fee. Now since it is in the 14 day cooling off period I don't think I should have been charged that as per Aviva's guidelines below - though it is not the most clearly written document in the world.
Can anyone advise or has anyone had any experience of this?

Taken from Aviva's Motor Policy Summary:
What happens if I take out cover and then change my!mind?
The principal policyholder has the right to cancel the policy within 14!days either from the day of purchase or renewal of the policy or the day on which the principal policyholder receives the policy or renewal documentation, whichever is the later. If the principal policyholder wishes to cancel and the insurance cover has not yet commenced, the principal policyholder will be entitled to a full refund of the premium paid.
What are Aviva charges for policy amendment and cancellation?
If you cancel after cover has commenced, you will be entitled to a refund of premium paid less a proportionate deduction for the time we have provided cover. There will also be an additional charge of up to £38 (plus Insurance Premium Tax where applicable). If we cancel for any reason set out in the ‘Our right to cancel’ section within the General Conditions sections of the policy booklet there will be a cancellation charge of up to £38 (plus Insurance Premium Tax where applicable). If you amend the policy, there will be an administration charge of up to £18 (plus Insurance Premium Tax where applicable). No charge applies if you amend the policy online at aviva.co.uk/myaviva. You can make most policy changes online, however if you are
unable to make a change please contact us.

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Assuming your stated start date is a typo, and the policy has started then you have been correctly charged a cancellation fee
  • Yep, they've charged as per their wording.

You've paid for 10 days cover and a £38 fee, which is what their wording says.
  • Moxey
    Moxey Posts: 19 Forumite
    For clarity: purchased insurance 31st August
    started insurance 3rd Sept

Right, just wanted to check. Thanks all
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts