5 year plan

Options
Having achieved all the usual aims of house, job, family etc. I am now in desperate need of a new 5year plan! So instead of upgrading my lifestyle, I'm keen to follow the motto of 'same house, same spouse, same car' to take us to a mythical place known as 'mortgage free living'. Having scrimped by for years living pay check to pay check whilst paying out vast sums for the kids nursery, we are now back in the land of financial comfort and able to enjoy all the little extras, like a new car, bigger house, more holidays etc. Sounds great, but it's comes at a price. The rat race! And I am asking myself the question of whether I want to work for the next 30 years in a 9-5 office job with 25 days holiday. Maybe not...

I have been reading these forums and the idea of being mortgage free is an exciting concept. My partner and I are in the position we can live off one wage (frugally) and save the other. Putting the spare cash into savings, house renovations, holidays AND have spare to pay off the mortgage. Mainly possibly because of low interest rates and no more school fees.

As much as I want all the material things in life, like a new sofa, huge house and bigger garden, the idea that I can still have all that in 5 years when I am debt free and have savings is a massive appeal. I also need to think about splitting between house payments, savings and investments.

Having done the maths, I believe I can make regular overpayments on my mortgage by next spring of up to £2k per month (still less than childcare fees! It really has been tough...) and have some cash saved up.

Over 5 years, that's £120k off the mortgage without any consideration to pay rises or bonuses. I haven't factored in overpayment charges, my mortgage allows up to 10% overpayment per annum. Anything over that will be saved and repaid at the end of each mortgage term.

I have never saved in my life, so this will be a novel and trying experience, so please do send lots of saving tips my way!

Step one - remove bank cards from wallet and accept cash allowance of £500 per month from OH...

Comments

• Betterthanever
    Options
    I'm on a 5 year mission too so will follow you with interest. Good luck!
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    You are going to smash the mortgage down at that rate.

Have you done something to celebrate the end of school fees though? I always have a treat with the first lot of 'extra' money after paying for something - nice handbag with first lot of money not going on the student loan etc.

All the very best.

Wish
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Good luck - I'll be following your journey and cheering you on:)
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
  • bexster1975
    bexster1975 Posts: 1,576 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    edited 7 September 2017 at 10:17AM
    Options
    Hi

It's addictive. You will make huge inroads at £2k a month. If you need motivation, work out the daily interest on your mortgage.

The thing is, scaling your lifestyle is unlikely to make you happy long term. Being mortgage free will offer you the freedom to do whatever you want. That will give you a good deal of happiness I imagine. You can still do great things, just not wasteful ones. Why a new car? Is the old one knackered/ beyond economic repair/not fit for purpose? If that's true replace it. If it just now needs an MOT probably need to question why it needs an upgrade. Bigger house? If you need more space then certainly a bigger house is a good idea. Otherwise, why? It's worth remembering we are sold this desire to acquire more and equate it with success and happiness. Capitalism doesn't work if people are satisfied with what they have. As adults however, we all have a choice. I wish you the best of luck. Once you start, you won't want to stop.

Bexster :)
  • erin_transport
    Options
    Sounds awesome!
    I'll be following your progress- good luck
    On a mission!

2018 & 2019 MFW #138

On babystep2 (#DR)
  • Madcatgirl
    Options
    Sounds like a fantastic plan! And, I agree with Bexster re lifestyle inflation! My car is 15 years old and still does what I need it to do, so no upgrade until it falls apart.
    March 2016 - £178,914.59; July 2017 £146,160.38
    Mortgage end Sept 2043; Target - pay off by March 2022, now Sept 2021
    Target balance July 2018 £112,560
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,292 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Happy shiny new diary :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Financialfreedom
    Options
    Thanks all! Nice to have some words of encouragement! 2 days in and total spend is £11. I have sadly cut out morning fancy coffee and instead taking my own, which is worth it since I will save a staggering £400 a year!

You are spot on Bexster, I just don't need a lifestyle upgrade. My car is 12 years old, but good for another 5. I only buy second hand (mainly since I always scratch my car, so a new one would be wasted on my bad driving...).

I think my main motivation at this stage is that I still don't know what I want to do with my life. Without being tied to a mortgage, I would have the option to change career, travel, study.

Next step is to set up an online payment direct to my mortgage account where all my underspend on my allowance can go each month...
  • Betterthanever
    Options
    You're exactly right.....giving yourself options is what it's all about!

And I thoroughly appreciate the coffee conundrum. My Costa habit was so huge that the manager of my local branch asked me on a date and we ended up married!!! Needless to say, he is in charge of the super duper coffee machine we have at home and I get my fancy coffees for "free" here instead!!
  • bexster1975
    bexster1975 Posts: 1,576 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Financial freedom.

I'm a coffee fan. If it helps, I have a pod machine and Aldi do great pods for about 18p a cup. Depends what you like but I take a flask in to work most days which is a nice ( cheap) treat

Bexster :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport