Making a Small Claim to recover money owed

Options
Hi

Apologies if this is the wrong place to post.

I loaned money to a now ex-friend in April 2015 and they promised to repay all of it, £97 per month. They paid me every month until July 2017 when they suddenly stopped. I tried all ways to make contact but they've blocked my numbers, etc. I've sent texts from a different number warning I will make a small claim against them for the outstanding £3200 if they don't continue to repay me. I've had no response so intend to make a claim.

I want to do the claim online. Will EVERYTHING be done online, including any correspondence sent to me and any responses from the defendant, if they respond? I am in the process of buying a new home which I'll be moving into very soon, I really don't want them to know my new home address.

Also, am I best waiting until I've moved home? I'm worried that making a claim and being involved in legal proceedings will impact my mortgage offer/credit file. Maybe I'm wrong about this but I can't help but worry about it! Also, is there any possibility of me getting a CCJ or something on my credit file even though I'm the claimant?

Many thanks :)

Comments

• Arleen
    Arleen Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Mortgage won't even know that you are suing someone, and they won't care as it doesn't affect your finances negatively. So don't worry and go ahead, fill your claim. You will have to provide an address, likely could be work address instead of your home one.

If the ex-friend responds to the claim disagreeing that he owes the money then there will likely be a hearing, that you will have to attend in person, to argue your case. But besides that, it will be all online.

Then, once you get a CCJ against him you will have to think whether to make their life a little more hellish by trying to collect (even if they have money and a job the chances that you will get anything back are slim) which will cost money, or just enjoy ruining their credit file for 6 years.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi,

It would not impact you in any way whatsoever.

However, look at some of the other similar threads on this forum, you will find you have zero to little chance of recovering any money.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure