PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

I'm having housing a moan . . . . .

Is it just me but are the house prices in London and Kent still way over priced,

Me and the wife have £325 to spend tops,

all we want is a good 2 & a half / 3bed with garden with parking space, and walking distance to train station . . . .

no more the 1hour door to door to city and back, travel cost under £300 per month,

Maybe i'm asking for too much hahaah

When is this CRASH GONNA HAPPEN . . .

Comments

• Maxwell007 wrote: »
    When is this CRASH GONNA HAPPEN . . .

Be careful what you wish for, a crash will only come with job losses, and I guess yup don't want to lose yours!

Add in higher deposit requirements, tighter lending requirements and it wont be a first time buyers market!
  • You should be able to find a more than adequate house in Kent for that. Or by Kent do you mean greater London? In which case that will be tight. Medway towns, Maidstone, Ashford and Sittingbourne will all provide a good range of homes in that price bracket and within the hour to London (just!).
  • To get a 2 or 3 bed for that money, you may have to accept more than an hour door-to-door.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If it's any consolation, I feel the same about the luxury yacht market, and don't even get me started on private jets....
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Maxwell007 wrote: »
    Is it just me but are the house prices in London and Kent still way over priced,

Me and the wife have £325 to spend tops,

all we want is a good 2 & a half / 3bed with garden with parking space, and walking distance to train station . . . .

no more the 1hour door to door to city and back, travel cost under £300 per month,

Maybe i'm asking for too much

Maybe there is stuff you can afford, but you're dismissing it because you don't like what you see and apply further criteria to your search list of "Must Haves". The longer you look, the pickier you get, unless you get a grip and just do it and just "buy something/anything".
  • Great London to Gravesend,
    1hour door to door,
    must have 2/3 beds, garden & be near a station,
    and yes I am dismissing if the house looks awful lool,
    thanks for all the above comments.
  • Why not look further a field? Wellingbrough (northants) is 53 mins to St Pancras for instance and well within your budget.

Now why can't i buy a mansion house in Chelsea for 97p? that is more or a sensible question
  • The Op is looking to pay £325 a week which is an awful lot of money - 61% of the average UK salary.

We are now reaching the stage where people on ordinary salaries cannot afford to live in London.
  • The Op is looking to pay £325 a week which is an awful lot of money - 61% of the average UK salary.

We are now reaching the stage where people on ordinary salaries cannot afford to live in London.

I read it as 325k to buy, but you could well be right. Perhaps the OP will clarify?
  • By wishing a crash you're wishing for many, many peoples' lives to get more difficult and financially terrible. If people save and are open minded, they will be able to get on the ladder.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure