Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Maxwell007
    • By Maxwell007 6th Sep 17, 1:44 PM
    • 239Posts
    • 78Thanks
    Maxwell007
    I'm having housing a moan . . . . .
    • 6th Sep 17, 1:44 PM
    I'm having housing a moan . . . . . 6th Sep 17 at 1:44 PM
    Is it just me but are the house prices in London and Kent still way over priced,

Me and the wife have £325 to spend tops,

all we want is a good 2 & a half / 3bed with garden with parking space, and walking distance to train station . . . .

no more the 1hour door to door to city and back, travel cost under £300 per month,

Maybe i'm asking for too much hahaah

When is this CRASH GONNA HAPPEN . . .
Page 1
    • martinsurrey
    • By martinsurrey 6th Sep 17, 1:47 PM
    • 3,182 Posts
    • 3,869 Thanks
    martinsurrey
    • 6th Sep 17, 1:47 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 1:47 PM
    Originally posted by Maxwell007

Be careful what you wish for, a crash will only come with job losses, and I guess yup don't want to lose yours!

Add in higher deposit requirements, tighter lending requirements and it wont be a first time buyers market!
    • Murray87
    • By Murray87 6th Sep 17, 1:57 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    Murray87
    • 6th Sep 17, 1:57 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 1:57 PM
    You should be able to find a more than adequate house in Kent for that. Or by Kent do you mean greater London? In which case that will be tight. Medway towns, Maidstone, Ashford and Sittingbourne will all provide a good range of homes in that price bracket and within the hour to London (just!).
    • steampowered
    • By steampowered 6th Sep 17, 2:42 PM
    • 1,897 Posts
    • 1,770 Thanks
    steampowered
    • 6th Sep 17, 2:42 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 2:42 PM
    To get a 2 or 3 bed for that money, you may have to accept more than an hour door-to-door.
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 6th Sep 17, 2:47 PM
    • 2,151 Posts
    • 3,048 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    • 6th Sep 17, 2:47 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 2:47 PM
    If it's any consolation, I feel the same about the luxury yacht market, and don't even get me started on private jets....
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 6th Sep 17, 3:04 PM
    • 60,693 Posts
    • 354,823 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 6th Sep 17, 3:04 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 3:04 PM
    Is it just me but are the house prices in London and Kent still way over priced,

all we want is a good 2 & a half / 3bed with garden with parking space, and walking distance to train station . . . .

no more the 1hour door to door to city and back, travel cost under £300 per month,

Maybe i'm asking for too much
    Maybe there is stuff you can afford, but you're dismissing it because you don't like what you see and apply further criteria to your search list of "Must Haves". The longer you look, the pickier you get, unless you get a grip and just do it and just "buy something/anything".
    • Maxwell007
    • By Maxwell007 6th Sep 17, 3:14 PM
    • 239 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    Maxwell007
    • 6th Sep 17, 3:14 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 3:14 PM
    Great London to Gravesend,
    1hour door to door,
    must have 2/3 beds, garden & be near a station,
    and yes I am dismissing if the house looks awful lool,
    thanks for all the above comments.
    • ssparks2003
    • By ssparks2003 6th Sep 17, 3:32 PM
    • 194 Posts
    • 263 Thanks
    ssparks2003
    • 6th Sep 17, 3:32 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 3:32 PM
    Why not look further a field? Wellingbrough (northants) is 53 mins to St Pancras for instance and well within your budget.

Now why can't i buy a mansion house in Chelsea for 97p? that is more or a sensible question
    • steampowered
    • By steampowered 6th Sep 17, 3:54 PM
    • 1,897 Posts
    • 1,770 Thanks
    steampowered
    • 6th Sep 17, 3:54 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 3:54 PM
    The Op is looking to pay £325 a week which is an awful lot of money - 61% of the average UK salary.

We are now reaching the stage where people on ordinary salaries cannot afford to live in London.
    • happyandcontented
    • By happyandcontented 6th Sep 17, 4:00 PM
    • 828 Posts
    • 1,671 Thanks
    happyandcontented
    The Op is looking to pay £325 a week which is an awful lot of money - 61% of the average UK salary.

We are now reaching the stage where people on ordinary salaries cannot afford to live in London.
    Originally posted by steampowered
    I read it as 325k to buy, but you could well be right. Perhaps the OP will clarify?
    • goodwithsaving
    • By goodwithsaving 6th Sep 17, 4:09 PM
    • 688 Posts
    • 1,031 Thanks
    goodwithsaving
    By wishing a crash you're wishing for many, many peoples' lives to get more difficult and financially terrible. If people save and are open minded, they will be able to get on the ladder.
    Every time you borrow money, you’re robbing your future self. –Nathan W. Morris
    • HouseBuyer77
    • By HouseBuyer77 6th Sep 17, 4:22 PM
    • 908 Posts
    • 893 Thanks
    HouseBuyer77
    Bishop's Stortford maybe?

e.g. http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-67504871.html

Though hitting your 1 hour door to door might be tricky. Depends where you work and if you'd be willing to use a folding bike.
    • martinsurrey
    • By martinsurrey 6th Sep 17, 4:27 PM
    • 3,182 Posts
    • 3,869 Thanks
    martinsurrey

Originally posted by steampowered
    I read it as 325k to buy, but you could well be right. Perhaps the OP will clarify?
    Originally posted by happyandcontented
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5562397

OP is looking to buy at least was a while ago

since 2016 OP seems to have done something, from a £30k single income with £60k deposit (£180k max purchase price at 4x) to £325k, so not too bad.
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 6th Sep 17, 6:16 PM
    • 4,847 Posts
    • 6,805 Thanks
    deannatrois
    Have you actually looked at travel times? Gravesend to Kings Cross St Pancras is 16 mins, not an hour lol.
    • ThePants999
    • By ThePants999 6th Sep 17, 6:28 PM
    • 863 Posts
    • 1,010 Thanks
    ThePants999
    If it's any consolation, I feel the same about the luxury yacht market, and don't even get me started on private jets....
    Originally posted by ReadingTim
    I did smile, but I don't think it's appropriate to lump typical housing in with yachts and jets. Such luxuries have always been out of reach of the ordinary working man, but once upon a time, a 3 bed house with a reasonable commute wasn't! I have plenty of sympathy for people moaning that the average house in the South East is now 10 times the average salary, when 20 years ago it was 4 times. That is a genuine problem that could have been avoided if governments had prioritised it enough.
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 6th Sep 17, 6:51 PM
    • 3,241 Posts
    • 6,712 Thanks
    Murphybear
    I do sympathise that you cannot find what you want in the housing market.

Unfortunately this is all too common. We have been looking for a new house to rent since the beginning of November. Our requirements were simple. Minimum of 3 bedrooms and 2 reception rooms, lots of space to store our huge amount of "stuff", big kitchen with room for washing machine, dishwasher, 2 freezers and full size fridge, quiet area with no kids, parking, cat allowed. Preferably detached or semi. Reasonable rent

Impossible you might think? We saw, on Rightmove, a rural farmhouse, 4 bedrooms, 3 reception rooms, big kitchen and wood burning stove to heat it in winter. We saw it, fell in love, met the farmer who owned it who got on with my OH like you wouldn't believe.. We moved in 3 weeks ago. Rent not much more than our horrible mid terrace with noisy neighbours both sides.

Miracles do happen ...
    • martinsurrey
    • By martinsurrey 7th Sep 17, 12:30 PM
    • 3,182 Posts
    • 3,869 Thanks
    martinsurrey
    I did smile, but I don't think it's appropriate to lump typical housing in with yachts and jets. Such luxuries have always been out of reach of the ordinary working man, but once upon a time, a 3 bed house with a reasonable commute wasn't! I have plenty of sympathy for people moaning that the average house in the South East is now 10 times the average salary, when 20 years ago it was 4 times. That is a genuine problem that could have been avoided if governments had prioritised it enough.
    Originally posted by ThePants999
    http://www.economicshelp.org/blog/5568/housing/uk-house-price-affordability/

Mortgage payments as a percentage of income are at a 30 year low, deposit requirements are high I accept .

Household income has also risen much quicker than inflation (more women in the workplace means comparing 1970 single income households to 2017 duel income households isn't fair)

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20160107030736/http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/dcp171776_341133.pdf

so you are suggesting that governments prioritized keeping mortgage rates high, and keeping women out of the workplace (along with other things)?
    • Narkynewt
    • By Narkynewt 7th Sep 17, 12:35 PM
    • 118 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Narkynewt

Maybe i'm asking for too much hahaah

Apply to go on location, location, location!
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 7th Sep 17, 12:54 PM
    • 5,229 Posts
    • 2,207 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    By wishing a crash you're wishing for many, many peoples' lives to get more difficult and financially terrible. If people save and are open minded, they will be able to get on the ladder.
    Originally posted by goodwithsaving

Being hundreds of thousands in debt in the lowest interest rate environment ever for basic shelter is already terrible, many will be glad to go bankrupt IMO, it will be less stressful than the daily grind just to service a big mortgage.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 7th Sep 17, 12:58 PM
    • 5,229 Posts
    • 2,207 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    Originally posted by ReadingTim

Yes, but most sensible people know these items are not in the same category as a place to live (although the sales techniques during the bubble were designed to make property appear as desirable as certain "high end" items, maybe you were taken in?)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,015Posts Today

8,278Users online

Martin's Twitter