Switching confusion

Options
denwyn
denwyn Posts: 193 Forumite
We are presently with the Martin Lewis B.Gas deal which ends next month. B.gas have hiked up the payments as expected. My dilemma is our house is Sold and we have an offer accepted on another property. I most definitely want to switch away from B.gas, but am unsure when. As there isn't a collective deal available and looking on my Energy Club ratings I think EON is best bet,yes I know there are cheaper,but I feel safer with someone more established. Dilemma is if I switch to a EON deal now and then have to change again would we have to pay a cancellation charge,as from what I understand most Energy firms won't let you take deal with you when you move house. What is best way to go about this. Oh and I can't see our move being till end of October.

Comments

• footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    denwyn wrote: »
    We are presently with the Martin Lewis B.Gas deal which ends next month. B.gas have hiked up the payments as expected. My dilemma is our house is Sold and we have an offer accepted on another property. I most definitely want to switch away from B.gas, but am unsure when. As there isn't a collective deal available and looking on my Energy Club ratings I think EON is best bet,yes I know there are cheaper,but I feel safer with someone more established. Dilemma is if I switch to a EON deal now and then have to change again would we have to pay a cancellation charge,as from what I understand most Energy firms won't let you take deal with you when you move house. What is best way to go about this. Oh and I can't see our move being till end of October.

I'm a little confused. Why would you be looking to switch from Eon between now (or about 3 weeks time, as that is about how long the switch will take to go live) and you moving house?

You need to refer to the tariff you agree to whether or not early exit fees apply, but transfers within the Eon range of tariffs is usally without exit fees.

When you move house, the old contract with eon will end and no exit fees will apply as they do not apply when you move house.

At the new house, you need to first register with the existing supplier, and you can then decide either to take one of their tariffs or start a switch to another supplier.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As above: moving house voids your contract without penalty: you cannot port a supplier or tariff to a new address; the deemed contract rules apply.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Options
    denwyn wrote: »

Hello denwyn and to confirm what footyguy and macman have said, if you were to choose one of our tariffs, you won't be able to take this with you when you move home.

Our contracts are based on individual properties with specific metering set ups and usage. These circumstances might be different at another address particularly if in a different region or with another supplier. So we're consistent, we restrict tariffs to set addresses.

You won't, though, have to pay an exit fee. These only apply when changing supplier. They don't apply when moving home or if moving to another of our tariffs.

Hope this explains denwyn and best wishes for your home move. Hope all goes well.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • denwyn
    denwyn Posts: 193 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for that,all I wanted to know is if we swapped now, and if we then had to change supliers again when we moved house would we have to pay cancellation fees. Glad to know we don't,so will now look into switching. Yes there are cheaper deals than EON, but I've never heard of them and no feedback or poor feedback on a lot of them. I just prefer not to risk them.
    Thanks everyone. for advice
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport