Started my Wonga refund claim....

I've requested my SOA from Wonga but wondering how far back they will go? My very first loan was in July 2010 and it just turned into a rolling loan for 12-18 months. I'd have a break for a bit when I met my partner but the same thing happened 2/3 times since, paying it back on time and borrowing it again repeatedly for months at a time. Usually for about £50-£150.

When I log into Wonga online it only shows me the last 12 months of accounts. Will they go back to the very beginning?

Comments

• StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    Did you send an SAR? If not, you'll not get any accounts that have been closed as they have no obligation to send any statements of closed loans.

If you send an SAR (£10, statutory request) they'll be obliged to send all information they have on you. It'll likely go back 6 years as after then they can delete records (Like how after 6 years defaults fall off your file etc, works both ways).

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Thanks for the reply, sorry what's SAR?

I've requested statement of my account to their complaints team using a template found on here. But I've got no open loans with them - all were paid on time and the last one was back in February.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    MissSJL wrote: »

I've requested statement of my account to their complaints team using a template found on here. But I've got no open loans with them - all were paid on time and the last one was back in February.

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-data-protection/principle-6-rights/subject-access-request/
    have you sent the £10 fee?
  • System
    No, I didn't realise there was a cost? The template I used requests them free of charge! Oops. Oh well will wait and see what they say. A friend requested hers and got them, she didn't mention a fee....
  • StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    MissSJL wrote: »

Asking for a statement of accounts is open to Wonga not wanting to let you see closed accounts.

The CCA does NOT require closed accounts to be included in a Statements of Account request. a SAR, Subject Access request is part of the Data Protection Act, and would force Wonga to send all data they have on you.

https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/personal-information/

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • System
    Oh I see. Okay well can I wait and see what account info they supply me with first and then request SAR if there's accounts missing? Seeing as I've already sent the email... Thanks for replying.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,876 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    You can ask a creditor to send you information about all accounts you have previously held with them, you don't need to send a SAR.

Most PDL's will provide you with that information, although due to the extent of the reclaims going on, some are refusing to do so, in which case you would need to SAR them.

See what they say before wasting £10.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • System
    Well just to update you, Wonga have replied with a full list of all loans - totalling 40, starting in July 2010. Horrific reading but such an eye opener, especially to see a total of over £700 in interest and fees alone.

I've sent off my full complaint using a template, explaining my thoughts and my personal circumstances etc. Fingers crossed for a swift reply.
  • I'm a few weeks down the line with Wonga

Got my SOA from them and they've had my second email for just over a week now...fingers crossed for a reasonably quick reply, good luck!
  • Just received this email from Wonga

Your complaint is still being considered

Our Reference: **********

Dear Mr **********

Unfortunately, our investigation is taking longer than expected, and we can’t yet offer you a resolution to your complaint.

We appreciate your patience and apologise for any inconvenience that this delay may cause.

We do our best to resolve complaints in the order that we receive them. We are currently experiencing high volumes of complaints and so if we cannot respond within 8 weeks, we will contact you to explain the delay and outline when you can expect to receive a response. If you are unhappy with the progress of your complaint at that stage, you can refer it to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

Kind regards,

Customer Care

My initial email to them was 15th August so today is exactly half was through the 8 weeks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure