Scams - no refund on credit card!!!!

Barclaycard are refusing to acknowledge and refund a fraudulent scam on my account for a holiday, that I paid with them and transferred via Transferwise. I have seen numerous examples of the same issue elsewhere yet the credit card companies continue to allow this, even though they say it voids my protection. We are told Transferwise is safe and they are accredited yet why are they allowing these credit card transactions to continue without warning or better stop them altogether. They are just simply supporting fraud and the customer is the only one effected. This alone seems reason they should act. Help! '

Comments

• liviboy
    liviboy Posts: 544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 2 September 2017 at 12:49PM
    Barclaycard are refusing to acknowledge and refund a fraudulent scam on my account for a holiday, that I paid with them and transferred via Transferwise. I have seen numerous examples of the same issue elsewhere yet the credit card companies continue to allow this, even though they say it voids my protection. We are told Transferwise is safe and they are accredited yet why are they allowing these credit card transactions to continue without warning or better stop them altogether. They are just simply supporting fraud and the customer is the only one effected. This alone seems reason they should act. Help! '

I'm presuming that you paid Transferwise using your Barclaycard?

In which case as Barclaycard paid the money and you were able to do as you pleased with it with Transferwise, Barclaycard have completed their transaction and are rightfully declining any claim.

If it was Transferwise who were fraudulent - e.g. You put money into a Transferwise account but then couldn't do anything with it, or send it to anyone, etc. Then you may have had a valid claim.

It's exactly the same as if you had withdrawn cash at an ATM from your Barclaycard and then were scammed by a street seller. The ATM operator didn't defraud you, therefore you have no claim against Barclaycard or indeed the ATM operator. Your claim is against the fraudster and the fraudster alone.

Section 75 isn't an insurance service that covers all eventualities. It covers the basic transaction. In this case that was the transfer into Transferwise which was completed correctly and with no fraud.

EDITED TO ADD:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/transferwise/how-does-it-work-and-is-it-safe/ suggests that Transferwise is FCA regulated...have you looked into this?
  • Use transferwise regularly for sending payments. It is a legit business, you should check with them if you feel you were scammed by them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure