Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SusieT78
    • By SusieT78 14th Aug 17, 4:24 AM
    • 52Posts
    • 98Thanks
    SusieT78
    SusieT78 Debt Free Diary
    • 14th Aug 17, 4:24 AM
    SusieT78 Debt Free Diary 14th Aug 17 at 4:24 AM
    Hello all,

I'm quite new to MSE. I have another thread where I was asking for debt advice on the main board, so I won't duplicate my posting, but the details are here for anybody interested:
    forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5694050 (I can't link to it as I'm a new poster)

In summary, I've got myself into a mess with debts that I can no longer afford to pay the minimum payments for, so currently my debt free date is 113 years away (that's if the creditors agree to freeze interest, if not it will be even longer). But, circumstances do change and I hope in the future mine will change for the better and that a debt free date 25 to 30 years may be achievable. At the moment I'm not sure of how I'm going to clear the debt but I've decided to start a diary to record steps I'm taking to reduce outgoings and increase income so I can pay my debts off quicker.

I've been reading some of the debt free diaries and have found them inspirational with a lot of good advice for the other posters, so even if nobody replies I've decided to write one to keep myself motivated and record my day to day plans. Since I started the other thread I've found that starting to write things down is making me feel less stressed about my situation and helping me think a bit more clearly.

So far I plan to reduce outgoings by:
    • Sticking to my budget religiously
    • Meal planning / finding low cost recipes / making extra portions so we have homemade 'ready meals' in freezer (to stop the temptation to order takeaway / go to a family friendly pub for tea to eat, as I'm guilty of doing this far too much in the past)
    I plan to increase my income by:
    • Doing surveys for Paypal vouchers - to cover the cost of birthdays/Xmas (any recommendations for good Survey companies appreciated - I've signed up to Swagbucks and MySurvey)
    • Getting a part time job once my youngest child starts school in September 2018, or if I could find a company that offers zero hours contracts where you don't need to agree your working hours until a few days in advance I could start work sooner (partner works fulltime unsociable hours, shifts and often doesn't find out what he's working until the week before, we have nobody that could help with childcare and paying for childcare would wipe out any wages), or if there is any genuine work from home opportunities I could do once the kids are in bed of an evening. I need to look into this once I've let all the creditors know I am in financial difficulty.

My current unsecured debt is approx £45k
    I owe a relative £1k
    My remaining mortgage is £39k
    Total debt August 2017: £85k
Page 3
    • SusieT78
    • By SusieT78 14th Sep 17, 11:15 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    SusieT78
    I walked to school yesterday in the end, got caught in a bit of drizzle but not a downpour thankfully!

Today has been a NSD.
    I've also requested a £4.63 payout (£5 mastercard) from Swagbucks.

Not much else to report.

Running totals:
    September groceries/toiletries/cleaning: £274.15/£340 (81%)
    September Petrol: £58.48/£100 (58%)
    September NSD: 6/30
    2017 Paypal Birthday/Xmas fund: £61.35 plus £15 Amazon voucher
    2017 Quidco cashback: £16.20
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 20th Sep 17, 6:46 PM
    • 1,880 Posts
    • 8,535 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Everything okay?
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/September 2017=5,500
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

286Posts Today

3,566Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin