Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Sam M
    • By Former MSE Sam M 20th Jul 17, 5:10 PM
    • 238Posts
    • 159Thanks
    Former MSE Sam M
    The Great Hunt: What unexpected expenses did you have at uni?
    • 20th Jul 17, 5:10 PM
    The Great Hunt: What unexpected expenses did you have at uni? 20th Jul 17 at 5:10 PM
    Doing a budget before you head off to uni should be a top priority, but did anything crop up that you didnít expect?

We want to know anything you had to fork out for at uni that you didnít expect or budget for.

Thanks in advance.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
Page 1
    • dw1
    • By dw1 26th Jul 17, 8:30 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    dw1
    • 26th Jul 17, 8:30 AM
    • 26th Jul 17, 8:30 AM
    Joining a sports team worked out quite expensive. The membership fee was cheap (£25) but all the extra stuff adds up pretty quickly - official kit for £80, £100+ on new boots etc over the year, £50 a time on transport and accommodation for weekend tournaments, not to mention endless socials in the pub.

In the end it was worth it for the new friends and experiences but not something I budgeted for.
    • By Avatar73 26th Jul 17, 8:31 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    • 26th Jul 17, 8:31 AM
    • 26th Jul 17, 8:31 AM
    A wife and 2 kids
    • guiriman
    • By guiriman 26th Jul 17, 9:42 AM
    • 354 Posts
    • 205 Thanks
    guiriman
    • 26th Jul 17, 9:42 AM
    • 26th Jul 17, 9:42 AM
    Photocopying. Lots and lots of photocopying, particularly of cases in the two law modules I had to take. Balanced it out by buying second hand text books (previous edition) most of the time and photocopying the exercises from the current edition though!
    • ade1982
    • By ade1982 26th Jul 17, 1:25 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    ade1982
    • 26th Jul 17, 1:25 PM
    • 26th Jul 17, 1:25 PM
    Paying for course notes were unexpected.

Insurance for personal possessions is easily forgotten. (it used to be a specific policy for uni, but this was 2006)
    • MalC4
    • By MalC4 26th Jul 17, 4:52 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MalC4
    • 26th Jul 17, 4:52 PM
    Scamming by cheating landlord/agent
    • 26th Jul 17, 4:52 PM
    The signed tenancy agreement expected us to leave the property to the same standard as we received it. I thought this was a standard comment and didn't have any issues, knowing that we'd look after the property and leave it clean. Then just before we leave the house the agent tells us that it was provided as professionally cleaned and that they want it left to a professionally cleaned standard. I spoke to the tenancy deposit scheme people and they said they're having more and more complaints that landlords/agents are taking advantage of students because they hold the deposit (and what student knows what professionally cleaned looks like?). The number of disputes being submitted relating to withheld deposits are rising and yet there's no protection for students. We're looking at sharing a cleaning bill withheld from our deposit of £270+ (and we left the house clean!).
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 26th Jul 17, 5:17 PM
    • 18,547 Posts
    • 14,274 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 26th Jul 17, 5:17 PM
    • 26th Jul 17, 5:17 PM
    Paying for course notes were unexpected.
    Originally posted by ade1982
    Which shyster university was this? I've never heard of such a thing.
    • Anna1664
    • By Anna1664 27th Jul 17, 11:13 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Anna1664
    • 27th Jul 17, 11:13 AM
    Course Materials
    • 27th Jul 17, 11:13 AM
    I went to Uni in 1999 to study film production and within the first week had paid £50 'course materials' fee (on top of normal student fees which I had a student loan for) I didn't mind that so much but when I got further into the course we were told that film stock, processing and telecine were not included in the course materials fee. I've blanked out how much it cost because it was so expensive and also because in the groups that I worked in often the other students didn't actually pay their share but I'm guessing I spent around £5000 - 10000 during the 3 years. It was a massive shock and I didn't know how on earth I would pay for it as I was supporting myself not relying on parental support. I used all my savings (around £2000) managed to get the 'emergency fund' each year at Uni which was around £500 cash and £500 on top of my student loan and knew that I needed to get a job! However I also knew I couldn't work during term time as I was struggling academically (was diagnosed as dyslexic in my 2nd year) so I looked for a summer job. I failed the typing test for a jobs agency and the only other work the agency did was labouring on building sites so I asked if I could do that. My first day labouring on a site they were expecting 3 labourers and only I turned up; they were so impressed with me; they said I'd done the work of 3 labourers so asked if I could stay all summer and they'd pay me 3 times a normal wage. The labouring made me good money (I kept doing it after Uni too) and kept me physically healthy for working in the film industry. Although it was a nightmare at the time it was 'character building' and when I worked as a Head Lecturer of a Film-Making course between 2010 - 2013 I made sure that the course was set out so that there were no un-expected fees or costs and that all students had equal opportunities no matter what their financial situations were.

Anna
    • ade1982
    • By ade1982 27th Jul 17, 9:01 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    ade1982
    • 27th Jul 17, 9:01 PM
    • 27th Jul 17, 9:01 PM
    Yes, they've been pulling those strokes since I was an undergrad way back in 2004.

Take many, many photos of everything!
    • SamMarc
    • By SamMarc 8th Aug 17, 2:30 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SamMarc
    Field work costs for earth science courses.
    I had to do 3 weeks independent mapping and numerous field courses around the UK and Europe.

None of the costs were provided upfront, nor was there any sort of cap
    • WibblyGirly
    • By WibblyGirly 16th Aug 17, 1:02 PM
    • 228 Posts
    • 436 Thanks
    WibblyGirly
    My council tax. Paid full price for the first year of uni in my private rental as the council took forever to apply the 25% discount we got (partner not a student).
    • follysienna
    • By follysienna 17th Aug 17, 10:33 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    follysienna
    Field work costs for earth science courses.
    I had to do 3 weeks independent mapping and numerous field courses around the UK and Europe.

None of the costs were provided upfront, nor was there any sort of cap
    Originally posted by SamMarc

This! I had to do a 6 week mapping project in Spain, during July. All self funded, so you can imagine how much flights were alone!

Three pairs of walking boots as they just got destroyed with intensive weekly fieldwork - scrambling over rough rocks and through bogs. New waterproof trousers - sitting on sharp rocks tends to rip a hole in them!

Bits and bobs for the shared house; a new table cloth, a whiteboard and pens for the kitchen, a new bath mat as the previous one stained with mould. We shared joint costs between everyone living in the house though.

I did not realise how expensive text books were until I actually went to uni. £80 for a second hand copy!

Joining societies, buying the sports team clothing (£60), university hoodie (£40) - although not an essential, it is a nice thing to have.

Printer credits, especially when printing dissertation. We had to print an A1 sized map (£25), and a 100 page report with a cover and binding (£20).

I was thankfully one of the lucky ones who found a part time job!
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 15th Sep 17, 1:02 PM
    • 8,744 Posts
    • 21,023 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    There are some great replies to our Forum tweet on this.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

410Posts Today

3,393Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin