Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ITZ
    • By ITZ 17th Jul 17, 9:09 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 1Thanks
    ITZ
    New job not working out
    • 17th Jul 17, 9:09 PM
    New job not working out 17th Jul 17 at 9:09 PM
    Hello, I started a new job on 3rd July. I left a full time permanent job because I wasnt happy there.
    I got this new job through a friend. It was a simple interview, went there looked around, lots of good reviews online, asked me when I could start. Its only a small business.

First of all she hasnt asked me for any information - address, bank details, ni number, I was told I would be paid every 2 weeks. I did 37.5 hours in my 1st week and she informed me that as she was going on holiday last week, I wouldnt be needed, so the place was closed. If only she could have told me this before I started but its done now.

I was told it would be a trial period on minuimum wage.
    It's not the easiest job in the world to learn, and I think this may be my last week. It's not going as planned and I reckon she might say its best to leave. And go be honest I wouldnt mind as its very stressful and keeping me awake.
    But I'm just a bit worried about the pay situation. What exactly can I do should I get paid short or she refuses to pay? I'm rubbish at the job, yeah, but I was still there alll those hours.
    And the fact she hasnt asked for NI number or bank details makes me wonder if its cash in hand and that wouldnt be helpful as it would affect tax credits.

Also, should I leave, how do I explain on my CV leaving a new job after a few months to go into another which only lasted probably a few weeks.

Just a bit of a mess now as the only money I know for sure I'm getting this month is holidays due from last job and tax credits. Been years since I signed on I dont have a clue how it works now, and I also live with a family member who is expecting a months keep at the end of the month.
Page 1
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 17th Jul 17, 10:31 PM
    • 2,725 Posts
    • 1,425 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:31 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 10:31 PM
    Hi, You might really need to foist your information on to the new employer - I hate saying this you might need to prepare as having had to work some of the time as 'in hand' especially with a small employer. (If you continue) as even if you do leave you would be due pay. (If you were to leave then the 'in hand' would come back to you still anyway)

I don't know if you should leave to be honest - I done both at times and both hurt equally. I'm really mixed - I think it depends on what you think you might want to do next career wise, whether you can carry out job seeking discretely whilst remaining in employment etc to the point you worry about.

I've an awful to strong CV which I managed to turn into positives, I had to fight my corner over this - Commercial awareness, different ways of working, able to take a risk, showing logic in the routes taken, that said I have stuck in employment this time and eventually landed up with 2 offers same day. After getting 6 months extra on an employer I wasn't sure about previously at 3 months so anything can happen.

Keep calm, try not to do anything rash, what does your friend think? falling inbetween the bar stools can happen to anyone, the fun is getting back up x
    "If you are caught in a rainstorm, once you accept that you'll receive a soaking, the only thing left to do is enjoy the walk"
    • asajj
    • By asajj 18th Jul 17, 12:06 AM
    • 4,070 Posts
    • 10,030 Thanks
    asajj
    • 18th Jul 17, 12:06 AM
    • 18th Jul 17, 12:06 AM
    Well did you sign anything showing pay rate etc?
    £2015 in 2015 / £2015

No buying unnecessary stuff.
    Clearing out by selling on Ebay, donating to charity etc.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

102Posts Today

1,834Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin