Buying a previously "Approved Used Car"

Options
Hi

Hope someone can help. I've bought a 09 Honda Jazz from an independent dealer and it was previously bought from Honda as an "Approved Used Car". Honda have confirmed that it's still under their Approved Used Car Guarantee but the franchise dealership is saying that there's no need to give me any updated documentation stating that I'm the new owner of the car and that I now have the benefit of the guarantee. Should I expect to get some kind of documentation since they've confirmed it's still covered?

Comments

• Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,309 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Ask them what you need to provide by way of proof should you need a repair carried out under the terms of the Approved Used Car Guarantee. How long is left on the guarantee? Read the terms of the guarantee (assuming you can find them anywhere) and see what it says about transfer of guarantee.
  • wgl2014
    wgl2014 Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    edited 17 July 2017 at 5:29PM
    Options
    A quick look after googling 'honda approved used warranty' shows the approved used warranty is transferrable in a private sale but not if purchased from a non-Honda dealer.
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    SavvyLTN wrote: »
    Hi

Hope someone can help. I've bought a 09 Honda Jazz from an independent dealer and it was previously bought from Honda as an "Approved Used Car". Honda have confirmed that it's still under their Approved Used Car Guarantee but the franchise dealership is saying that there's no need to give me any updated documentation stating that I'm the new owner of the car and that I now have the benefit of the guarantee. Should I expect to get some kind of documentation since they've confirmed it's still covered?

WGL2014 give you the right answer - now your issue is whether you still want the car without Honda Warranty and whether you'll get anywhere with the seller (you have no relationship with the Honda Dealer so forget that avenue)
  • debtdebt
    debtdebt Posts: 949 Forumite
    Options
    Does the selling dealer mention the fact that it is still under the Approved Used scheme or just the Honda dealer you spoke to?
  • MataNui
    MataNui Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    Options
    An approved used warranty would be for one or two years max. Just read the Honda website and theirs is only one year, so if a dealer is selling the car that means somebody has kept if for a very, very short period of time. That would make me a bit suspicious.
  • SavvyLTN
    Options
    k3lvc wrote: »
    WGL2014 give you the right answer - now your issue is whether you still want the car without Honda Warranty and whether you'll get anywhere with the seller (you have no relationship with the Honda Dealer so forget that avenue)

Well, the car broke down less than 2 weeks after I bought and Honda have repaired it under the warranty but now they just won't give me any documentation
  • SavvyLTN
    Options
    MataNui wrote: »
    An approved used warranty would be for one or two years max. Just read the Honda website and theirs is only one year, so if a dealer is selling the car that means somebody has kept if for a very, very short period of time. That would make me a bit suspicious.

Was told that the last owner had bought it for his son, who didn't like because it wasn't sporty enough.
  • SavvyLTN
    Options
    debtdebt wrote: »
    Does the selling dealer mention the fact that it is still under the Approved Used scheme or just the Honda dealer you spoke to?

Just the Honda dealer. The dealer that sold to us didn't know it was under warranty.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Presumably if you didn't shout from the rooftops that you bought it from a (non-Honda) dealer they could assume it was bought in a private sale and so honour the warranty?
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure