Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Second Account
    • By Second Account 17th Jul 17, 4:47 AM
    • 28Posts
    • 31Thanks
    Second Account
    Benefit Entitlement - Joint ESA claim -> Finding Work
    • 17th Jul 17, 4:47 AM
    Benefit Entitlement - Joint ESA claim -> Finding Work 17th Jul 17 at 4:47 AM
    Hello,

I'm asking on behalf of someone else for benefit advice and to make sure they arnt missing something.

Him and his partner both live with his parents and due to his depression they had a joint claim for ESA.

Now his partner has gotten a job he is unable to claim ESA at all because his partner is earning money. She is only working 24 hours a week at £5.60 an hour so they are actually worse off when you take into account her travel expenses to get to work, which doesn't seem right to me.

It seems the only benefit that he can claim is Job Seekers Allowance which he refuses to claim because he is unable to work due to depression so isn't looking for work.

Have they missed anything because it seems strange for his partner to be worse off when working.

Thanks,
    SA
Page 1
    • Londonsu
    • By Londonsu 17th Jul 17, 7:05 AM
    • 1,321 Posts
    • 2,837 Thanks
    Londonsu
    • 17th Jul 17, 7:05 AM
    • 17th Jul 17, 7:05 AM
    It is correct (and rightly so) that income based benefits are calculated on the household income for a couple

As the partner is on £5.60 per hour I take it they are 18-20, that's too young for standard tax credits but they may be able to claim as a couple using the disability criteria as that has no lower age rule but does have conditions
    https://www.gov.uk/working-tax-credit/what-youll-get.

Has the claimant with depression tried claiming PIP that's not means tested so the partners income is not taken into consideration.

I am surprised that he has been told he can claim JSA because for income based JSA the partners salary will be taken into consideration the threshold for a couple is £114.85 the couples household income would be £134.40 so too high for IB JSA

I would suggest they put their details in a benefits calculator like http://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/startcalc.aspx.

The only other way to get more money if one cant work is for the other to get more hours or take a second job
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,026Posts Today

8,874Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin