Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 16th Jul 17, 3:39 PM
    • 2,273Posts
    • 346Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    Windows 7 taking forever to load
    • 16th Jul 17, 3:39 PM
    Windows 7 taking forever to load 16th Jul 17 at 3:39 PM

For a week or so now when i turn the PC on it gets caught up at this screen. Not all the time but often. This morning after probably about 3-5 minutes at this screen i went downstairs & had a coffee, came back upstairs once i'd done that & it had finally opened up Windows 7.

I've not installed anything new that i can think of. I've ran SuperAntiSpyware, Malwarebytes Anti Malware, MS SE. Nothing found.

Page 1
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 16th Jul 17, 4:18 PM
    • 511 Posts
    • 219 Thanks
    WAYT
    • 16th Jul 17, 4:18 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 4:18 PM
    Dell PC? Service Tag on the label.
    • patientperson
    • By patientperson 16th Jul 17, 4:20 PM
    • 424 Posts
    • 345 Thanks
    patientperson
    • 16th Jul 17, 4:20 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 4:20 PM
    MS have been issuing updates for Windows 7 .. I think 4 to 6 updates in the last week alone. Normally there is an indication icon of updates in progress and certainly on shutdown there is clear warning that updates will be installed.

Perhaps your AV is doing a scan on start up?.

I have problems with some of these updates resulting in the dreaded blue screen which necessitated multiple attempts regarding recovery point restore.
    • patientperson
    • By patientperson 16th Jul 17, 4:41 PM
    • 424 Posts
    • 345 Thanks
    patientperson
    • 16th Jul 17, 4:41 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 4:41 PM
    If your start up delay continues then you could look at the Task Manager which will give info on what is running and which applications are hogging the system resources.

Just in case some readers are not familiar with Task manager .. just Right Click on the bottom bar of your screen and start up Task Manager from the options presented.

You can see useful info by looking at the options available.
    • I have spoken
    • By I have spoken 16th Jul 17, 5:52 PM
    • 4,867 Posts
    • 9,562 Thanks
    I have spoken
    • 16th Jul 17, 5:52 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 5:52 PM
    if it's booting off a hard-disk, I'd suspect that's going bad.
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 16th Jul 17, 6:24 PM
    • 2,273 Posts
    • 346 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    • 16th Jul 17, 6:24 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 6:24 PM
    Could it be doing a windows update in back ground and failing, check the history
    Originally posted by DavidP24
    I doubt it. Windows update is set to off. I don't like updates installing without me knowing what is being installed since not all updates are good news.

Although having checked that there have been updates installed, but only for MSE Security Essentials.
    The last update installed that wasn't for MSE was back in February.

As a precaution copy off your data while you can.
    Good call.

For the record it's a SSD. I can't remember when i bought it, perhaps 3 years ago, maybe 4 at the most but even then i'm still guessing.
    It's a Samsung SSD 830.

Dell PC? Service Tag on the label.
    Originally posted by WAYT
    No that's a Dell monitor

I had a look in msconfig & there's only 12 items listed in the startup. iTunes, Java, Acronis, Dropbox, Quicktime, MS Office, Malwarebytes and a few more, nothing different to what there's previously been.

• JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 16th Jul 17, 6:34 PM
    • 2,273 Posts
    • 346 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    • 16th Jul 17, 6:34 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 6:34 PM

• forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 16th Jul 17, 7:26 PM
    • 25,426 Posts
    • 10,083 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 16th Jul 17, 7:26 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 7:26 PM
    How many programs and services running? How many loading at startup?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 16th Jul 17, 8:22 PM
    • 2,273 Posts
    • 346 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    • 16th Jul 17, 8:22 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 8:22 PM
    The interesting thing to me was it was slow before you got to a login screen, that suggests it is a service, scheduled task, update or the disk.
    That's the thing. Surely it's not about my startup since all this delay happens before i even enter my password.

Once i actually get to the password screen then it fires up as fast as it ever did. The problem is getting to the screen.

• esuhl
    • By esuhl 16th Jul 17, 9:01 PM
    • 7,420 Posts
    • 5,252 Thanks
    esuhl
    Have you tried using the System File Checker?

Open an elevated command prompt and run:
    Code:
    sfc /scannow
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system
    • alankearn
    • By alankearn 17th Jul 17, 5:15 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    alankearn
    Maybe its time to upgrade to Windows 10 (at no cost) using this method

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade?tduid=(d90f8df71ea39f79a8ae166b34 ec7fc0)(266696)(1544997)()()
    Last edited by alankearn; 17-07-2017 at 8:47 AM.
    • Jim431
    • By Jim431 17th Jul 17, 8:18 AM
    • 129 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    Jim431
    Surprised that no one has suggested turning on boot logs and checking for any failures there.

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/tr-dojo/monitor-windows-7-boot-logs-with-the-help-of-msconfig/

Until you get it sorted make sure everything important is backed up while you still have access.

May be a driver problem or SSD failing.
    • alankearn
    • By alankearn 17th Jul 17, 8:51 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    alankearn
    No need for anything THAT drastic!!

Before taking such a step I would partition disk, separate data and make a primary partition to clone Win7 to, then use EasyBCD to dual boot both Win7's, then upgrade one to 10 to try out, safe in the knowledge that a reboot will allow simple access to Win7 and again back to Win10.

Do not need all this sneaky update method either, Win10 is out there, free anyway, it is after all an affiliate and advertising platform, they only get paid if people use it. Right now they are creating demand by scarcity and reinforcing their OEM agreements.
    And where are the web links to get free legitimate download/upgrades to Windows 10
    • Jim431
    • By Jim431 17th Jul 17, 11:26 AM
    • 129 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    Jim431
    Wow, you can an incredible knack........for suggesting what has already been suggested!
    What as suggested in post #10?

Event logs and boot logs are two completely different things.
    But maybe you are new to this
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 17th Jul 17, 9:06 PM
    • 2,273 Posts
    • 346 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    Well i ran Acronis last night to back up the C drive. The C is my Samsung SSD. There's not a great deal on there i think but there is stuff. Most of my files are on a 2TB HDD which has been partitioned off into 2 drives.

And Windows 10 is not an option. Well it is, but i don't want it.

• ChristianC123
    • By ChristianC123 17th Jul 17, 11:19 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ChristianC123
    You may try the following steps and check if it helps.
    Method 1:
    Step 1:
    You may refer to the following article to check if the issue occurs in Safe mode.
    Start your computer in safe mode
    Step 2:
    If you are not facing the issue in safe mode with networking, then you may perform a clean boot and check.
    A clean boot helps to verify if any third party application services or startup item is causing this issue.
    You may refer the following KB article to put the computer in clean boot:
    How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7!!!!!!
    After the trouble shooting steps please refer to clean boot link to put the computer back to normal start up mode.
    !
    Method 2:
    Unplug the external devices connected and check if the issue persists.
    You may also update the chipset and all device drivers to the latest by visiting the computer manufacturer’s website.
    Update a driver for hardware that isn't working properly

Regards,
    Christian
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,229Posts Today

8,859Users online

Martin's Twitter