Windows 7 taking forever to load

GXm5cJR.jpg

For a week or so now when i turn the PC on it gets caught up at this screen. Not all the time but often. This morning after probably about 3-5 minutes at this screen i went downstairs & had a coffee, came back upstairs once i'd done that & it had finally opened up Windows 7.

I've not installed anything new that i can think of. I've ran SuperAntiSpyware, Malwarebytes Anti Malware, MS SE. Nothing found.

Comments

• WAYT
    WAYT Posts: 694 Forumite
    Dell PC? Service Tag on the label.
  • MS have been issuing updates for Windows 7 .. I think 4 to 6 updates in the last week alone. Normally there is an indication icon of updates in progress and certainly on shutdown there is clear warning that updates will be installed.

Perhaps your AV is doing a scan on start up?.

I have problems with some of these updates resulting in the dreaded blue screen which necessitated multiple attempts regarding recovery point restore.
  • If your start up delay continues then you could look at the Task Manager which will give info on what is running and which applications are hogging the system resources.

Just in case some readers are not familiar with Task manager .. just Right Click on the bottom bar of your screen and start up Task Manager from the options presented.

You can see useful info by looking at the options available.
  • I_have_spoken
    I_have_spoken Posts: 5,051 Forumite
    if it's booting off a hard-disk, I'd suspect that's going bad.
  • DavidP24 wrote: »
    Could it be doing a windows update in back ground and failing, check the history
    I doubt it. Windows update is set to off. I don't like updates installing without me knowing what is being installed since not all updates are good news.

Although having checked that there have been updates installed, but only for MSE Security Essentials.
    The last update installed that wasn't for MSE was back in February.
    As a precaution copy off your data while you can.
    Good call.

For the record it's a SSD. I can't remember when i bought it, perhaps 3 years ago, maybe 4 at the most but even then i'm still guessing.
    It's a Samsung SSD 830.
    WAYT wrote: »
    Dell PC? Service Tag on the label.
    No that's a Dell monitor

I had a look in msconfig & there's only 12 items listed in the startup. iTunes, Java, Acronis, Dropbox, Quicktime, MS Office, Malwarebytes and a few more, nothing different to what there's previously been.
  • BFQoKIy.jpg
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    How many programs and services running? How many loading at startup?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• DavidP24 wrote: »
    The interesting thing to me was it was slow before you got to a login screen, that suggests it is a service, scheduled task, update or the disk.
    That's the thing. Surely it's not about my startup since all this delay happens before i even enter my password.

Once i actually get to the password screen then it fires up as fast as it ever did. The problem is getting to the screen.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Have you tried using the System File Checker?

Open an elevated command prompt and run:
    sfc /scannow

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system
  • alankearn
    alankearn Posts: 118 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 July 2017 at 8:47AM
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business