Computer has dropped wireless 300 times in three days

For a few months my laptop has repeatedly dropped the wireless network suddenly. I have multiple devices that use the wifi, and only my laptop has this issue.

If I click connect again it won't, unless I unplug the router and wait for it to find it again, then it will reconnect. It used to do it once every 4-5 days.

Now it's doing it constantly. I just ran a report and it's dropped 300 times in three days.

I've tried uninstalling the wireless driver and reinstalling it, which made no difference.

The report it really long but it's showing lots of error messages when it disconnects. It's driving me mad, as well as everyone else as I have to keep restarting the router!

Any ideas really appreciated please? It's a Toshiba Satellite running Windows 10.
"There is no medicine like hope, no incentive so great, and no tonic so powerful as expectation of something better tomorrow." - Orison Swett Marden

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    IP address conflict?

Get a wifi dongle and try that.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• jazabelle
    jazabelle Posts: 1,707 Forumite
    http://imgur.com/a/hW3LI

Here's an example of the error message.

http://imgur.com/ZmxgLjY

All the errors.
    "There is no medicine like hope, no incentive so great, and no tonic so powerful as expectation of something better tomorrow." - Orison Swett Marden
  • jazabelle
    IP address conflict?

Get a wifi dongle and try that.

Thanks, but why would it suddenly conflict after working fine for about 18 months? What would a dongle do?
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    From another thread:
    esuhl wrote: »
    I've had a few rare problems with DHCP in the past. (DHCP is a service on your router that allocates IP addresses automatically to the attached devices.)

I'd try allocating a static IP address to the laptop via the router's interface. If that doesn't help, try setting the IP manually on the laptop's network settings.
  • jazabelle
    Thanks everyone. Is this the right driver please?

http://imgur.com/a/hW3LI

If so the date of the driver is 22/2/2015. I am just updating it now to see if that helps!
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    According to Intel's site, there's version 19.70.0 dated 11-7-17 out for W10...
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Try ipconfig /renew
    http://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-840.html

If it works it points to an IP address allocation issue

I used to have mysterious disconnection issues and IP address conflicts just with certain devices on an old Netgear router that went away with a new high performance router.
  • jazabelle
    Thanks everyone.

David - I tried that first with the photos and it just gave an error message for some reason.

Anyway, I actually updated the driver before I saw you mentioned rolling back. However since I've updated so far since it hasn't disconnected yet *touch wood*

So I'm hoping like anything that was the issue!

If not, I will be back to try the other suggestions, thanks everyone who took the time to answer me.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    As it's a laptop, the manufacturer may have installed a wireless utility that constantly tries to connect to the strongest signal, so try look at that.

Some years ago my brothers laptop kept trying to switch between about 15 different WiFi access points at his flat, for that same reason.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure