Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Elsterap
    • By Elsterap 14th Jul 17, 4:11 PM
    • 92Posts
    • 35Thanks
    Elsterap
    Buying House Insurance Before Contracts Exchange
    • 14th Jul 17, 4:11 PM
    Buying House Insurance Before Contracts Exchange 14th Jul 17 at 4:11 PM
    I am in the process of buying my first house. It is currently in the conveyancing stage.

I just followed Martin's guide and got a quote for £102 for house insurance and then saw that company has £70 topcashback on a new policy. Therefore it seems I could get insurance for potentially £32.

However, I do not know the date we will exchange contracts yet and the topcashback expires in 3 days.

Should I buy it now and use a much earlier start date so that I can get the deal?

I would effectively be saying that I owned the property when I really didnt.
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 14th Jul 17, 4:18 PM
    • 32,149 Posts
    • 16,232 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 14th Jul 17, 4:18 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 4:18 PM
    You don't "own" the property at exchange either - but must insure it from then (assuming not a new build)

Ask your solicitor for an estimated date for exchange.

Usually when TCB say expires in x days it relates to the amount rather than the merchant stopping cashback altogether
    • britishmisk
    • By britishmisk 14th Jul 17, 4:23 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    britishmisk
    • 14th Jul 17, 4:23 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 4:23 PM
    If your mortgage offer requires you to take out home insurance, which is a common request, the policy needs to start from the date of contracts being exchanged. Your conveyancer will let you know what date that is when they have all the relevant information.

The conveyancing stage can be one of the most precarious times in the process of buying a house, there are a number of things that can go wrong and you may never know the purchase will not go through in the end (as I experienced a couple of times in the last year). Personally I would wait for an exchange date. If you buy it now you don't know when the contracts will be exchanged, that might be a while away and you took out insurance for a period of time that you didn't need it and it will expire before a whole year has passed.

From experience I've found these cashback deals will go away for a while but then come back pretty quickly, it may be when you do get your exchange date the cashback deal will come back, or you may find a better one.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,040Posts Today

6,846Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin