PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

New Build Completion

Options
Buying a new build and the builder keeps moving the completion date, yesterday my solicitor told me I'd exchange last week of July, today they've moved it to end of August. Which has annoyed the hell out of me, is there anything I can do to convince them for July, if not can I play games with them and delay the completion my side? So when they want to complete in August move it to September/October?

Comments

• comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Usually the contract for anew build is written so you have no rights if exchange is delayed. The builder needs so many certificates for completion prior to exchange. If you start mucking them about they will sell it to someone else.
  • DavidWFC
    DavidWFC Posts: 94 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've already exchanged months ago, they forced the exchange and the payment of 50% of deposit they now just keep delaying the completion.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I think you've mistyped 'exchange' instead of 'complete' in your first post - which makes your posts confusing.

DavidWFC wrote: »
    ...yesterday my solicitor told me I'd exchange last week of July, today they've moved it to end of August.
    DavidWFC wrote: »
    I've already exchanged months ago,

Anyway, the contract you exchanged will say how/when completion occurs. Often it will be when the builder decides to give you 10 days notice.

You are now bound by those terms, because you signed that contract.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure