Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DavidWFC
    • By DavidWFC 12th Jul 17, 7:13 PM
    • 40Posts
    • 40Thanks
    DavidWFC
    New Build Completion
    • 12th Jul 17, 7:13 PM
    New Build Completion 12th Jul 17 at 7:13 PM
    Buying a new build and the builder keeps moving the completion date, yesterday my solicitor told me I'd exchange last week of July, today they've moved it to end of August. Which has annoyed the hell out of me, is there anything I can do to convince them for July, if not can I play games with them and delay the completion my side? So when they want to complete in August move it to September/October?
Page 1
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 12th Jul 17, 7:18 PM
    • 1,672 Posts
    • 2,224 Thanks
    comeandgo
    • 12th Jul 17, 7:18 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 7:18 PM
    Usually the contract for anew build is written so you have no rights if exchange is delayed. The builder needs so many certificates for completion prior to exchange. If you start mucking them about they will sell it to someone else.
    • DavidWFC
    • By DavidWFC 12th Jul 17, 7:23 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    DavidWFC
    • 12th Jul 17, 7:23 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 7:23 PM
    I've already exchanged months ago, they forced the exchange and the payment of 50% of deposit they now just keep delaying the completion.
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 12th Jul 17, 7:57 PM
    • 4,828 Posts
    • 4,467 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 12th Jul 17, 7:57 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 7:57 PM
    I think you've mistyped 'exchange' instead of 'complete' in your first post - which makes your posts confusing.

...yesterday my solicitor told me I'd exchange last week of July, today they've moved it to end of August.
    Originally posted by DavidWFC
    I've already exchanged months ago,
    Originally posted by DavidWFC

Anyway, the contract you exchanged will say how/when completion occurs. Often it will be when the builder decides to give you 10 days notice.

You are now bound by those terms, because you signed that contract.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

425Posts Today

4,734Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin